Caribou Gear

NM to the rescue

rmyoung1

This summer my mom suffered a stroke. Thank God above the stroke was minor, and she's doing great with very minimal side effects. But months of rest were ordered. I'm a stay-at-home dad to three young boys. Mom is my baby-sitter while I'm hunting in the fall. So... my best laid plans for 2018 were off the table. Watching my boys doesn't qualify as "rest" by any means, and I had to change things up. I canceled my planned trips well after all the draws were over and, instead, turned my sights toward New Mexico where I hoped to get my hands on some landowner tags and simply take my older two boys along. I managed to get my oldest son, Caleb, (age 11) a doe antelope tag for late-August. This was to be his first western big-game hunt. We had a great time in NE New Mexico hunting near Logan. The ranch didn't hold a ton of antelope, but enough to provide a few stalks and a couple of shot opportunities. My boy didn't connect, but we gave 'em a good scare. :) We had a good time in some new country, and found a lot of neat things (in addition to the antelope) to occupy a young boy's attention. Double rainbows, tarantulas, box turtles and antelope. Can't beat that.
IMG_2166.JPG
IMG_2163.JPG
IMG_2164.JPG
IMG_2165.JPG

Last edited:
In October I was back in NE New Mexico with my middle son, Ethan (age 9). I had the doe tag, and we found a ton of antelope on the ranch. It was a good situation for my 9-year-old. No time to get disinterested as we were never out of sight of antelope. The only trick was getting within shooting range with very little but cactus for cover. But it came together when Ethan flagged a bunch and they came running in. Another great time in the Land of Enchantment!
IMG_2168.JPG
IMG_2167.JPG

My final New Mexico trip took place the week before Thanksgiving. This time we were heading for the Sacramento Mountains in Unit 34. I had a cow elk landowner tag for a 12,000-acre cattle ranch. Both Caleb and Ethan accompanied me on this trip. We battled fog early in the hunt, and it took a couple of days for me to figure things out, but we put it together on the evening of our third day. We found a good glassing spot on the edge of some rimrock overlooking a canyon that I felt had to hold elk. Sure enough... right before dark, a cow stepped out to grab a bite. All in all, it was just a neat experience. I'd never before hunted in New Mexico, and it was great seeing some new country with my boys. None of the three hunts were on public land. And I know the NM landowner tag system has created a lot of discussion and opposition. But given the challenges associated my mom's unexpected medical situation, the Land of Enchantment really came through for me. It's kind of amazing how many different kinds of hunting opportunities we enjoy in this country. Even when Plan A gets the ax, there are opportunities to be had and memories to be made. Now... go give your mom a hug!
View attachment 91068
View attachment 91069
View attachment 91070
View attachment 91071

Last edited:
Great photos, but the last batch aren’t showing up?

Last pic caption......"and for my next magic trick, I shall make an elk appear.....TA-DAHH!!!!!

Im glad your Mom is doing alright. I had a hemorrhagic stroke this spring and had to cancel most of my trips! Feom what they tell me, recovery is slow! Your Mom is not alone! I'm glad you had a good trip with your oldest in NM!

Sorry to hear about your stroke. Scary deal, I’m sure. I’ll pray for a speedy recovery. And judging by your handle, you are a veteran. Thanks for your service. My brother and brother-in-law both currently serve in the USAF.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rimfire45
Back