Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not my first choice for a Ruger Model. But the .280 is extremely good shooting and accurate.

Change the stock on it and you will have a much more comfortable gun

Thanks guys. I will check back after I put some rounds through it. Nosler first. Then if those don’t work I will order some federal 150g partitions.

Someone gifted me a Ruger M77 mk la in .280 rem. Iíve read that they arenít very accurate. Is this true? I was thinking of making it my new cow elk gun. But if itís not accurate then I wonít bother.
    I've shot a semi truck of game with the .280 that wished that statement were true. I use Barnes 140 TTSX backed by IMR 4350 which propels that bullet around 3100 fps. Works great for me.
    How much l wanted to take scalps, but it was not my kill.

What kind of magic wand barrel are you shooting?
    Your getting almost 300 fps faster than the Barnes manual with them using a 24" barrel.

The Nosler site shows 280 rem. @ 3152fps with the 140 grain in a 26 inch test barrel with RL19. There is no info if the e-tip was able to make that velocity as all Nolser 140 grain bullets are listed. Note the e-tip is recommended to use the starting loads first then work up from there.

Dan

140 gr. Nosler Partition - 54.0 grs. of IMR4350 This load in the old Remington 700 MTN rifle I had with the 22" barrel chronographed at 2940 fps. It was very accurate and killed very well. I got 3/4" 3-shot groups with it at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by std7mag View Post
    What kind of magic wand barrel are you shooting?
    Your getting almost 300 fps faster than the Barnes manual with them using a 24" barrel.
    No magic. The .280 Rem was loaded down to accommodate the Semi Auto's or maybe it was pumps, that Remington had made for that caliber. Then they realized their marketing mistake and renamed it 7mm express Remington. Same thing only made in bolt actions. Later on they just simplified it to .280 Rem. again. I've chronograph the loads and they show no signs of pressure. See Dan O's response. Tjones shoots the same thing as me. Same velocities too. This link shows loads of IMR 4350 going faster than what I do. It's all in the name. https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/280-R...Remington/3142
    How much l wanted to take scalps, but it was not my kill.

My father in law loves his tika .280, he runs the 140 grain sierra game kings and imr 4831. Great accuracy with his rifle. I feel its like the .260 Remington, over shadowed by the 7mm mag and only making a comeback as an ackley improved cartridge. It's his go to deer rifle and what my wife used before she married me. Now its all .277 diameter.

I have a boat paddle stock 243, it was the first gun I bought when I was 12 for the low low price 380 bucks, wish I had a pile of them for that price, pretty easy to get close to double that now. Mine consistently shoots sub moa with hand loads. I had trigger work done to mine, the trigger was north of 8 pounds, it maxed out the trigger pull scale my gunsmith has.

I'm getting easily north of 3k fps with my .280 out of 22" barrel using 136 grain Hammers and RL16.
    Fear the beard....

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 300wm. While I Can't speak for others, mine is a definite shooter. Doesn't matter the load i put through it, it just shoots it accurately.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12