M77 .280 rem. Gift

I always found the 280 would approach 7 mag performance with 160 or lighter bullets, although depends on the rifle. Rugers sometimes finicky, but tough as a bag of hammers. Although someone told me once they use old army tank treads for recoil pads on some of their models...like this one.

The old tang safety M77's were hit or miss on being reasonable accurate. 2 things I learned was the 3 screws in the stock need to be tightened exactly per the book and you need a loose fitting magazine box.

Yes, the screw tightening is specific, even with the late models. My gunsmith that builds custom stuff tells me with the newer rugers front screw very tight first then the others snug. YMMV.

I have the same gun in 7mm Rem Mag. My parent bought it for me for Christmas when I was 15. It shoots under .5 MOA with 140 Accubonds and under 1 Moa with 180JLKs. But it will rattle your fillings loose. Mines had a trigger job and I keep it in a Boyds stock unless I'm backpack hunting.

I have same gun in .270 and it shots great groups in 130 accu and 150 nosler part. I shot to 500 yds with ease. Steeley is correct on trigger pull. Very heavy OOTB but any gunsmith can reduce pull by half and your groups will improve greatly with new trigger.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back