M77 .280 rem. Gift

I have that gun, put a timney trigger on it, upgraded the stock to a hogue overmolded full bed/block and took it hunting cows this year. She did just fine. I typically shoot core lokt for deer here in the Southeast but shot 160 grain nosler partitions for the cow. Again, no complaints. I am not a target shooter, but with the new stock and trigger job, easily shoots under 1" groups. I shot 1" groups out to 200 this year in the wind in New Mexico with it. I shot the elk hard quartering away at 120 yards, entered near last rib and stopped in offside shoulder opposite side. My only complaint is with the scope (leopold VX3.5x10x50) and 5 rounds the guns tips the scales at 10 pounds. I only get to make a single trip out west every year so I will grin, grunt and bear it.

Last edited:
I have one in 25-06. It shoots quite a number of loads under .75". It loves the Federal Nosler 115 Partition ammo. What are these guns worth?

Depends on the chambering. People have decided they are cool now and some of the more rare chamberings, if in good condition, are fetching a few thousand on gunbroker

Depending on when it was manufactured, ruger did go through a period where they produced some absolute junk rifles. I received on in 99, that would shoot consistent 6" groups out of the box. three rifles later best they could do was 2", so it was traded. But have seen others that are tack drivers

Thanks guys. I will check back after I put some rounds through it. Nosler first. Then if those don’t work I will order some federal 150g partitions.

Someone gifted me a Ruger M77 mk la in .280 rem. I’ve read that they aren’t very accurate. Is this true? I was thinking of making it my new cow elk gun. But if it’s not accurate then I won’t bother.

I've shot a semi truck of game with the .280 that wished that statement were true. I use Barnes 140 TTSX backed by IMR 4350 which propels that bullet around 3100 fps. Works great for me.

What kind of magic wand barrel are you shooting?
Your getting almost 300 fps faster than the Barnes manual with them using a 24" barrel.

The Nosler site shows 280 rem. @ 3152fps with the 140 grain in a 26 inch test barrel with RL19. There is no info if the e-tip was able to make that velocity as all Nolser 140 grain bullets are listed. Note the e-tip is recommended to use the starting loads first then work up from there.

Dan

140 gr. Nosler Partition - 54.0 grs. of IMR4350 This load in the old Remington 700 MTN rifle I had with the 22" barrel chronographed at 2940 fps. It was very accurate and killed very well. I got 3/4" 3-shot groups with it at 100 yards.

What kind of magic wand barrel are you shooting?
Your getting almost 300 fps faster than the Barnes manual with them using a 24" barrel.

No magic. The .280 Rem was loaded down to accommodate the Semi Auto's or maybe it was pumps, that Remington had made for that caliber. Then they realized their marketing mistake and renamed it 7mm express Remington. Same thing only made in bolt actions. Later on they just simplified it to .280 Rem. again. I've chronograph the loads and they show no signs of pressure. See Dan O's response. Tjones shoots the same thing as me. Same velocities too. This link shows loads of IMR 4350 going faster than what I do. It's all in the name. https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/280-Remington-7mm-Express-Remington/3142

My father in law loves his tika .280, he runs the 140 grain sierra game kings and imr 4831. Great accuracy with his rifle. I feel its like the .260 Remington, over shadowed by the 7mm mag and only making a comeback as an ackley improved cartridge. It's his go to deer rifle and what my wife used before she married me. Now its all .277 diameter.

I have a boat paddle stock 243, it was the first gun I bought when I was 12 for the low low price 380 bucks, wish I had a pile of them for that price, pretty easy to get close to double that now. Mine consistently shoots sub moa with hand loads. I had trigger work done to mine, the trigger was north of 8 pounds, it maxed out the trigger pull scale my gunsmith has.

I'm getting easily north of 3k fps with my .280 out of 22" barrel using 136 grain Hammers and RL16.

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 300wm. While I Can't speak for others, mine is a definite shooter. Doesn't matter the load i put through it, it just shoots it accurately.

I have the same gun. Have had it for 20 years, never missed a deer with a it. I don't like the factory boat paddle stock, so I put a ghille green hogue tactical stock on it. Right now it's got a 50mm Sig Whiskey 5 scope on top, and made my longest shot/kill with it last season, 404 yards. I shoot 140grain TSX's and it stacks em.

Tried the 140 g accubonds today. 3.5” 6 shot spread. Going to try federal 150g partitions.

First thing you do is get a new trigger for those Ruger Rifles and then they will shoot. I swear mine was 8lbs from the factory.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back