Caribou Gear Tarp

M77 .280 rem. Gift

wyoboypt

Someone gifted me a Ruger M77 mk la in .280 rem. I’ve read that they aren’t very accurate. Is this true? I was thinking of making it my new cow elk gun. But if it’s not accurate then I won’t bother.DCCFD2AD-F790-40A4-A578-579755265991.jpg Haven’t shot it yet. Ordering some Nosler accubonds for it. 1391ABAF-A840-4253-905E-0387DF87768F.jpgA68D8094-C0C2-46B1-AB92-F48AE774A06F.jpgDCCFD2AD-F790-40A4-A578-579755265991.jpg

You may have to shoot the rifle to find out how accurate it is.

ClearCreek

I have a Mark II 7MM Mag. Mine is is a wood stock and is super accurate for me. I would recommend these rifles to a friend. I have been looking for another one in 243 or 270. I don't know if this helps you out but I do think these are good rifles.

I haven't heard that either the M77 or the .280 tend to be inaccurate.

I'd be willing to guess you were gifted pretty good rifle. Go run some blammo through it and see.

I have 4 Rugers in that model and have owned 5. They can be a little problematic but all have shot 1.5 MOA with a little experimentation and a couple have shot much better than that.

One of them is a 280. Doesn’t like my handloads or most factory loads but will shoot Federal 150 Partitions into 1/2”

Don’t dump the rifle before trying that load. And 1.5 MOA is plenty good for cow elk.

I kind of have a thing for those old boat paddle Rugers.

Thank you guys so far! That helps a lot. I’m going to try nosler accubonds and if that doesn’t work I will go straight to those federal partitions. If I go to sell you guys will be the first to know!

I have a boat paddle M77, but in 7mm/08. Sure, not every load is a tack driver, but there are sure a Bunch that will keep 'em inside 3/4" ! Try a few.

I might suggest that you replace that brick the factory installed as a so called recoil pad. I put an Air Tech on mine and it made a world of difference.

I have a boat paddle M77, but in 7mm/08. Sure, not every load is a tack driver, but there are sure a Bunch that will keep 'em inside 3/4" ! Try a few.

I might suggest that you replace that brick the factory installed as a so called recoil pad. I put an Air Tech on mine and it made a world of difference.

I have the same rifle and it shoots great with some loads, the loads it doesn’t like it really doesn’t like.

Those recoil pads are the worst!

When you pull the trigger on a boat paddle 7mm Rem Mag with the factory pad, it wakes you up!

I have never owned one but I have known 2 people who do and they have had good results with them.

Nice rifle and great cartridge. Love the 280 Remington and 280 AI! I can't stand those stocks though and I would suggest changing it out for a Boyds wood laminate or something along those lines and have it pillar and glass bedded. It will be a lot more comfortable to shoot and will feel better in your hands, plus it might help with accuracy and be more consistent. My son has a Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington that came with the wood stock. We did this exact thing and got the nutmeg laminate and I had it glass bedded and pillar bedded. It's a very accurate rifle and shoots great.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator

After the Apocalypse roaches and Ruger Boat Paddle rifles will still be with us. They are simple, rugged, and reliable rifles and mine in .308 will do under an inch at 100 yards with 165 grain Accubonds.

My hunting partner has a M77 with that stock. The rifle shoots great but it absolutely annihilated his arm while doing some field practice work before our hunt this year. He had a bruise that wrapped around his shoulder from nip to mid-bicep. A new recoil pad is a must.

Yea I noticed it felt pretty dang hard when I was holding it. I will pick one up before I go shoot when the ammo arrives. Thanks all!

Put me in line for it too. I have always wanted one of those, but could never afford one while they were made.
Now i can afford one, but they don't make them anymore.

I have one in 25-06. It shoots quite a number of loads under .75". It loves the Federal Nosler 115 Partition ammo. What are these guns worth?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back