PEAX Equipment

Advice on Getting Started: From Private to Public

jjn

Holler if this isn't the right spot for this question, but I couldn't find a better forum.

I'm an 'Adult Onset' type of guy, hunted off and on unsuccessfully for a few years in my 20s, then picked it up in a little more seriousness after surviving cancer in my late 30s. Focus and all that.

Am now 43 and hunt whitetail and turkey on my private land (160 acres) plus the neighbors (300 acres) in NE Washington State. I mainly hunt archery and muzzleloader for whitetail, and modern for black bear (though I have yet to get one, most of the ones that visit us are pretty small)

I'm getting the itch to do some bigger hunts. If I'm honest, there's no 'getting' about it. The itch is there, and it isn't going away.

I'd really like to take at least one elk trip every year, add in a deer trip (outside WA), and bear. At some point along the way I'd like to go on a good moose hunt, and maybe some trophy class animals, but for now, I want to learn what it takes to be successful off of my own property.

Target states are probably ID/MT/WY, but I'm open to elsewhere. Elk are a bit of a non starter in WA from what I can see, but there's good bears and deer here in some places, I'm told.

This spring I will at minimum start building points where I can.

I have a number of questions that I'll end up making threads for as appropriate, but I'm looking for any sort of basic advice on making the move from private to public.

Welcome, Randy has a lot of good starter content on YouTube depending on what state you want to start with. Idaho is close and there isn’t a point system. It’s a good place to start.

Welcome and congrats on beating cancer! I suggest a prairie hunt in the dakotas for antelope or deer! That is a lot of fun!

Send me a PM.

Some thoughts:
1. Geg OnX and learn it well.
2. Learn how to locate animlas on public land (no small feat I admit.)
3. Focus on one spwcies at a time.
4. Listen to Randys podcast and others to glean info.
5. Get out there and explore.

Join Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, go to events, meet fellow hunters, and fire away with questions.

Welcome. This forum probably has more information than any source on Al Gore's dubyadubyadubya.IInventedTheInternet.com

Welcome! You've definitely picked the right forum. One day I hope I can contribute as much as I take from here, lol.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts.

I've already been binging on Randy's podcasts and youtube videos, Rinella's podcast as well.

I do think ID is probably the best bet for starting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back