BDC or CDS system??

I spend a lot of range time before I go hunting. I know, beyond any doubt, what my rifle/scope/ammo will deliver. Now it's just up to me to do the rest of the job. If I were to start twisting on scope turrets in the field, all that goes out the window. I know for sure the rig is dead on at 250, minute of elk out to a tad over three, and I know enough of the ballistics to figure holdover out to 400 if I need to send one airmail after a wounded critter about to crest the last ridge. I won't shoot an unwounded animal that far. On a hunting scope I don't want to see any bells or whistles. No adjustable objectives. No lighted reticles. No mildots, BDCs, or CDSs. No rangefinders, Bluetooth, or grids. Just a duplex reticle. I know Randy has a contractual obligation to sell Leupold's latest and greatest gadgets, but every time I see him cranking on the turrets to set the range to 260 before he can shoot I have to think, "You've got to be kidding me." If you are outside of point blank range, you are out of range. Period.

I've found ground hog hunting very good practice also.

If your range allows, a 10 pin bowling pin works well too. Most alleys have old pins you can buy for 25-50 cents each. Last pretty good too.

This stuff is easy. Pick the system you want to use, if you indeed need one, then practice the shit out of using it. mtmuley

Anyone can accomplish anything....online

A) find an HBR or F-TR match that requires range estimation. They don’t.
B) I was at one time fairly decent at estimating ranges on p-dogs out to around 400yds, but range estimation is like any other skill. Use it or lose it. It’s been many years since I’ve done any p-dog shooting.
C) Please quote my post where I claimed to be “an accomplished match shooter”.

I shot HBR locally when I was in college and got to be fairly competitive. I won the last HBR match I shot in. I never shot in any registered NBRSA or IBS matches. Yes I’ve beaten people who placed well in registered matches, but I never traveled and we didn’t hold registered matches at our local club. HBR is primarily a 100yd and 200yd game. There are longer matches, but at the time our club range only went to 200yds. I then began shooting a non-registered club match in a nearby town that was geared toward F-Class shooting and conducted at 535yds. I won one of those, but the top shooters were at a registered match that weekend. I then began traveling a little further to an NRA registered F-Class Midrange match conducted at 300, 500, and 600 yards. I tended to finish in the top 30%-50%. Anything but world class. I shot in a single registered F-Class match at 1000yds and finished about middle of the pack. You can call it accomplished if you want, or you can just call it average at best. My results were anything but world class. That doesn’t invalidate my experience with scopes, or my knowledge of what better match shooters do. You will not find dialing scopes around once the scoring starts to be common practice among benchrest or f-class shooters.

My all time favorite retucile was the old Redfield 4 plex, gone but I loved it. Now I prefer the duplex. I have a 4.5-14x Nikon with BDC and I hate it. It was the last one Bi Mart had and on sale so I bought it thinking Nikon would change it out for me. No such luck! They told me to go back where I got it and trade it for one I wanted. Well one with a duplex wasn't to be had anywhere in Central Ore! I'll stick with duplex! I was working with a friends rifle last year and he had a very old Bosch & Lomb on it. Tapered crosswire's, loved it! Unfortunately it was one that needed adjustable base's. Whoever designed that morfodite thing was nut's!

^^^ Adjustable bases were once the only way. Internal adjustment required advancements in miniaturization.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back