Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Which binos

Look into the Theron Questas. I have the Wapiti's and they are hard to beat for the price point. Predator Optics is a sponsor on here and Pat's customer service and quick shipping and deals are hard to beat.

The Questa's would smoke all of them in a side by side. After all, they are the same base model that other brands have sold for $800.00 There isn't a sub $400 bino that will beat them in a side by side.

With all due respect for the Diamondbacks, the Bushnell Legend M compares favorably to the Vortex Viper HD's for some people who are unbiased and very knowledgeable.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=319833

If someone is really serious about optics spending some time on forums like that can help a bunch. Once you do that you realize that all hunters do is tell you to buy a brand they have, and the discussion/comparisons are lacking in just about every way as nobody really knows what they are talking about.

As an example ask a hunter what kind of prism their binoculars have.

I said in my first post that I'm a leupold guy but this was a good deal. I wasn't pushing a brand.

Your good boomer. I didnt take it that way. I actually looked a pair of leupold acadia's that were really nice. They were the only ones in that price range that compared to the legends

I guess on a basic level that is correct but if you dig a bit deeper you will find 2 types of roof prism binoculars are popular. And as I mentioned most hunters have never even heard of these, let alone know what type they own.

https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/abbe-koenig-roof-prisms-vs-schmidt-pechan-roof-prisms/

Good info here on prisms and BK7 vs BAK4
https://www.targettamers.com/guides/roof-prism-vs-porro-prism-binoculars/

Basic answer to a basic question. That wasn't the question. You asked which type of prism. You should've asked which type of roof prism if uou wanted that detailed of an answer.

Side by side comparisons are better than looking at any specs or advertising. Lot's of made up hype and unverified specs are thrown around. I could tell you brand x had 39 layered multicoating of moon rock dust. Would you know any different? Prism design and materials performance can be effected by the size of the actual prism. Again, look for head to head comparisons and make your call. Keep in mind a large majority of optics in your price range are made in the same factory with the same glass. Yes, all of the mentioned brands do not make their binoculars in your price range, they have them made and have a logo installed. Those who spend the most on advertising cost the most to the customer in the end, anyone in marketing can tell you that.

Basic answer to a basic question. That wasn't the question. You asked which type of prism. You should've asked which type of roof prism if uou wanted that detailed of an answer.

Thanks for proving my point for me. No need to get upset because you didn't realize there were 2 types of roof prism binoculars.

Im not upset. I just don't adhere to your self proclaimed status of optics expert! I'd rather hear it from schmalts.

You critiqued my answer to your poor question. That doesn't validate my misunderstanding of roof prisms. Its beer-thirty, so cheers!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back