Yeti GOBOX Collection

Which binos

KnotOnCall

Im about to buy a new pair of binos. Like everything else theres 100s of options out there. Im looking around the $200 to $250 price range. A few that im considering. All will be 10x42s.

Nikon prostaff 7s
Nikon monarch 3
Bushnell legend L series
Vangaurd endeavor ED
Vortex diamonback

The only ones ive actually been able to look through were the diamondbacks and the prostaff 7s. Of the two, to me, the prostaffs were brighter and clearer. But from what i hear vortex's warranty is hard to beat. Whats yall thoughts? Any other i should consider?

I'm a Leupold guy but Vortex's warranty is hard to beat. Im pretty sure Scheels has some binos on sale right now.

Those Diamondbacks were on sale for 129 just recently. Check eBay because you can get some Vortex Vipers for that price range.

FWIW, my personal experience with Nikon Monarch vs. lower end Vortex (ie diamondback).
I don't use high dollar glass for anything - don't need it:eek: - flies in the face of accepted wisdom, I know. Seem to do OK hunting w/o the premium glass.......
I own two Nikon Monarch models, 8x and 10x. My wife uses an 8x Monarch. We both are absolutely impressed with everything about 'em, including price.
I have a lower end model - I believe - diamondback Vortex 8x in my work truck. I think they flat out suck. I had to use the warranty - yes they repaired them immediately and cheerfully - but:
1. I had to use the warranty
2. After repair, I still have a pair of crappy binocs.
I have never sent a pair of Nikons in for repair - never had to. The newest pair of Monarchs we have is 6 years old.
Don't have experience with the rest on your list.
If the newer model Monarchs are anywhere near the quality at the price our aging beaters are, I don't believe you can go wrong with a pair.

I have a pair of Nikon Monarchs (8x42) that I bought used on ebay, cheap. Figured they were disposable glasses more or less. They seem to be indestructable and I use the heck out of them. Best buy I've had in a long time. I have a set of Leica 10x42s that is slightly better, but just slightly, and a lot heavier, not to mention more than 5x more expensive.

Nikon glass is way underrated.

I have the Vortex Diamondbacks 10X, I think I paid $149 for them. They are ok, and similar to an older pair of Nikon binos I have. No issues with either. I tend to lose, and or drop/break etc...things like binos so I don't spend a lot on mine

For $300-$350, Maven C1s are a clear cut above those listed and very well worth the extra $75. They compare very favorably to the competitors $700 models a grade or two higher than those listed.

I read some initial reviews when I first heard of Maven - they sounded nice.
My Monarchs are still doing a great job.
But if they cease functioning - the Maven C1's do definitely interest me.......

Look into the Theron Questas. I have the Wapiti's and they are hard to beat for the price point. Predator Optics is a sponsor on here and Pat's customer service and quick shipping and deals are hard to beat.

There are a bunch of Nikon Monarchs on ebay for under $200. No Maven C1s that I could see.

Used glass is the way to go in my opinion. Lots of good stuff out there.

In that price range I would either deal with Schmalts for a pair of Theron's or go with the Mavens. When my boys get a little older that's what I'm gonna do.

Look for reviews and comparisons on the models you listed from birding websites. They know their optics and do not care about brands.

I started noticing this when I was in the market earlier this year and found them to be really helpful and filled with useful information.

I can tell you that for your price range there is a bargain to be had right now. Earlier this year Bushnell apparantly made some changes to the Legend line and took the remaining Legend M 8x42's that get great reviews in the $300 price range and marked them down to just under $200. The birders were all over this much like the this page was all over the bargain rifles that Big Sky started a thread on.

Here is an example of how birders review binos.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=342002

And this binocular got so much attention when it went on sale that I started paying attention.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=124267&page=132

Now they dropped to $139.99 and I could not resist.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bushnell-8...h=item489e85663a:g:DakAAOSwJtJcA3DG:rk:1:pf:0

I ordered a pair for my wife to use and they came in yesterday. I am stunned with their performance so far and will plan to do a review once I have more time with them. The M is the top of the line bino in the Legend series and still sells for $300+ on many sites and gets good reviews in that price range. For $139 you can't go wrong IMO.

If I had up to $300 to spend I would still buy the Bushnell legend M.
$300+ I would buy the Maven C series.

I run Maven B-2's 9x45. They are nearly identical in size to the Legend M 8-42's.

Last edited:

With all due respect for the Diamondbacks, the Bushnell Legend M compares favorably to the Vortex Viper HD's for some people who are unbiased and very knowledgeable.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=319833

If someone is really serious about optics spending some time on forums like that can help a bunch. Once you do that you realize that all hunters do is tell you to buy a brand they have, and the discussion/comparisons are lacking in just about every way as nobody really knows what they are talking about.

As an example ask a hunter what kind of prism their binoculars have.

I've had my pair Nikon Monarchs for 14 seasons, put em through the ringer. I seem to remember they were in the 250ish range. They are 8x42 i believe. No issues and for the price I don't think you can do a whole lot better.

thanks for all the input. I find myself leaning to the bushnells or the Nikons. I have a bushnell elite on my rifle and love it. For $139 that's hard to beat.

Go look through all those. I guarantee you the Vanguard ED will win. I hunt with may people who have very expensive glass and they are shocked by the Vanguard. I bought a second pair. I spend lots of money on high end stuff and would but more expensive ones but I can’t find better. Most understand glass in my opinion.

What magnification do yall mostly use? I went by basspro today to look through some different brands and models. Bushnell legend m series is the ticket. I was planning on getting 10x42s but for $136 for 8x42s. Im thinking about getting the 8x and saving $100. Yall think they would work or would i regret not getting the 10x

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back