Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cross Country rigs

I bought a 2004 Tahoe new and put 240k hard miles on it bouncing around in the desert. After 3 new transmissions the engine was just to tired to keep that rig but it was a comfy ride for long road trips and acceptable off road.
A few rigs later I would suggest the 4 door pickup with the topper as its a lot more versatile.

I'd love to find an early 2000s 7.3 excursion with lower mileage personally. That 7.3 engine is a tank. I use a ram 2500 diesel now. Picking up a cargo trailer soon. Getting tired of beating the gumbo mud off of everything on an open trailer. Plus I can park the trailer and leave most of it loaded trip to trip.

My 2013 Ram made the trip from NC to WY twice this year. Once with the family and once to hunt. It's on 35 inch mud terrains so it's not exactly a street machine. Averaged about 18mpg which isnt bad for an 8000 pound truck. It's long bed with an A.R.E. camper shell which worked great for 3 hunters and coolers and gear.

I’m still running a 2008 GMC Sierra Z71 with 6.5 foot bed, extended cab, with Leer topper. It can hold all our gear and keep it out of the weather and clean.
I also pull a Jon Boat with it and all the gear for duck hunting or walleye fishing.
I also put a mattress in it in the back and take it to ATA Trap shooting events makes a great place to lay my gun or take a cat nap.

I've been working on getting something together that would allow me to shoot across the country (i.e., pull in to Walmart for a few hours of sleep if needed) with the family to elk hunt. I also wanted it to serve as a base camp in the mountains that I could move relatively easy if I wasn't seeing elk in a given area). A slide-in truck camper seemed to fit the bill well, without having to drag a trailer in rough terrain.

I found an old truck camper last fall and a very clean 2002 F350 crew cab 4x4 dually with a 7.3 (manual too!!) this spring. Its no 'off-road rig' in comparison to my 82 CJ8, and its not as spacious as a large trailer, but its self contained, I can pack it up and move it in a few minutes, got plenty of room in the cab for the drive, and I'm into the whole rig for what some folks will pay for a single guided hunt. Granted, they'll probably kill elk on that guided hunt, but my goal is more to learn how to hunt out west on my own and pass that along to my kids.

Just a thought...

I couldn't imagine driving across country in anything but my Ram 2500 with a 6.7 cummins, I get about 18-19 on the highway tons of room for 4 guys easy. Only thing its missing is camper shell with rack.

Done it in a Ford Explorer with 2 people and had plenty of room and the following year we did it with 4 people in an F150 with a cap and luggage rack on the back. The F150 won hands down for both space and comfort. I thing the ultimate vehicle is a crew cab truck with a cap/camper shell on it or a tricked out 4x4 van

Its no 'off-road rig' in comparison to my 82 CJ8

Personally I'd rock the CJ8 and a tent and put the cash towards buying points and doing hunts now. With some exceptions you can get most places with a sedan you can go with a F350, but there are tons of places a CJ8 go that a dually wouldn't be able to make it.

I think you have a decent sounds setup, I would just prioritize hunting over a rig any day of the week.

If I lived in Aurora, I might consider that line of thought! But I've taken the CJ8 from coast to coast and back once (I live in Maryland now), and no way am I planning on doing that again unless its on a trailer. Also, my goal in hunting is more focused on exposing and teaching my kids, so I needed to find a decent way to be able to haul the whole family with me, year after year.

FWIW, the CJ8 has a full hardtop. Years ago, when I lived in California, I built an elevated platform that, with the seats (from a honda civic) folded forward, allowed the dog (or occasional girlfriend) and I to crash in the back. It was a great truck for going fly fishing in the Northern Cali Sierra's.

One day the CJ8 will become a rebuild project for me and the kids. For now, it sleeps quietly in the barn and skids an occasional tree out of the woods for firewood.

I just got back from Wyoming. It was my second trip in my new Dodge Ram 1500 eco diesel. Averaged 26 MPG and had plenty of capabilities to get around. I just need to get some real tires. I have the 4 door model and a topper. If you pack economically I think it would be big enough for 4 guys, especially if you process your meat and aren't bring back 4 or more quartered animals.

I have them on my F350 both front and rear. The front carries a generator, a 5 gallon gas can and two medium sized coolers. The rear carries firewood and things that I don't mind getting dirty from stuff thrown up from the road. No matter how well it rides, the one on the front still worries me!

I have them on my F350 both front and rear. The front carries a generator, a 5 gallon gas can and two medium sized coolers. The rear carries firewood and things that I don't mind getting dirty from stuff thrown up from the road. No matter how well it rides, the one on the front still worries me!

You are more brave than I. Post a pic.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how useful a receiver hitch rack is for maximizing cargo capacity while saving interior space.

I've been thinking about a receiver hitch basket for the back. I don't think I could put on of the front.

I have a receiver on the front bumper that takes my winch which is on a carrier. The winch (a Warn) attaches with a quick connect. It is great because the winch doesn't sit outside unless I am using it and I don't have to worry about theft. It sits in the garage in its down time. :)

You are more brave than I. Post a pic.
IMG-6019.jpg

Not that it is drooping because the the receiver insert on the tray is flipped to make it ride lower, and interfere less with the headlights. Normally it would be tiled slightly up. I need to take it off and put it in my press to make it ride level.

Last edited:
I have a receiver on the front bumper that takes my winch which is on a carrier. The winch (a Warn) attaches with a quick connect. It is great because the winch doesn't sit outside unless I am using it and I don't have to worry about theft. It sits in the garage in its down time. :)

Bear in mind that any off the shelf front receiver I'l ever seen is nowhere near substantial enough to winch from....

View attachment 93759

Not that it is drooping because the the receiver insert on the tray is flipped to make it ride lower, and interfere less with the headlights. Normally it would be tiled slightly up. I need to take it off and put it in my press to make it ride level.

Thanks for the photo. Good looking setup but holycrap that thing is long. Bet parallel parking is a bit*h.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back