Cross Country rigs

Mine is a 2007 F150 S-Cab, 6.5 box with a topper and extra wide Thule racks on rails. Fits my 12' aluminum boat and a canoe for duck hunting trips, I fit our entire decoy spread in the back so no trailer needed, which saves a load of fuel. 215,000 km currently and no issues since I've owned it. It has 33" BFG K02s and Bilstein shocks, and it has been excellent here in Northern Ontario bush roads, Manitoba gumbo and snow, North Dakota prairies etc. If it died tomorrow I would build basically the same setup, but probably in a 2010 or newer with the 5.0 engine instead of the 5.7.

I would worry about overheating issues with a hitch haul on the front of your rig. For most trucks it would be blocking the main air intake for the radiator. Probably wouldn’t be an issue in the winter months, but no way I’d be doing it in the summer time.

I use my chevy 2500 pick up with a canopy on it. It has an 8' bed, so I have a fold up bed in the back. When I get tired, I just pull into the next rest area, make something to eat and sleep on the bed. In the morning, I make breakfast & hit the road. It carries a lot of stuff, is comfortable and is a pleasant rig to cruise long stretches of highway.

My bumper is hand built by me but I previously had the Warn front receiver on Big Blue.....both are plenty stout.
Getting ready to fab a front hitch for my new Ram. I think making the bumpers or hitch parts stout is the easy part. Man these truck frames are thin. The new body Ram front three feet is like heavy exhaust pipes, and hoping to use a 12k lbs winch.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back