Cross Country rigs

TrickyTross

Thinking about creating a hunting rig for getting from NC to our hunts on the west coast and everywhere in between. Been looking over some of yalls rigs and man, I am jealous! Last year we rented a Suburban for our drive to Idaho, and we paid, a good bit. But, its what we needed for 4 of us on a 2 week hunt. So it started the question about going in and "building" a rig that we could dedicate to our hunting trips.
Dream would be one of those large 4wd vans, or a short bus on a 4wd frame. But we are looking at a couple older large SUVs and 4door pickups.

Any of yall have a rig you take cross-country?

I think a big question would be kind of mileage you have to have. Also, will it always be 4 folks with gear (seating)? How "off roady" are you looking at being? I drive my truck about 500 one way to some hunts and it is up to all but crazy of road. What kind of budget are you thinking about?

When I had my suburban, to me, that was the best cross country vehicle. Plenty of room to stretch out in, enough room with the third row removed to sleep in. Plus all of our gear was inside with us. I also pulled my "redneck" camper too, all that is, is a 7'x14' enclosed trailer built into a camper/toyhauler. But the 'burban was starting to get tired, so I traded it in for my F150, I put a topper on it and have the storage still, but regret buying it. So now I'm looking for a 2500 'burban, to replace my truck and I'll throw my winch on it and call it good again.

I think a big question would be kind of mileage you have to have. Also, will it always be 4 folks with gear (seating)? How "off roady" are you looking at being? I drive my truck about 500 one way to some hunts and it is up to all but crazy of road. What kind of budget are you thinking about?

Majority of the time it will be 4 folks, that's why we were looking at 4 door vehicles primarily. As far as off roady, we aren't too concerned with getting to areas where a winch and chains wont suffice.
Can as cheap as possible be a budget? ;)
Seriously though, we haven't discussed in depth on a budget, however, I think sub $12k is doable. I should say this would also be a multi-year project. We are fortunate to have a few connections in the automotive world with mechanics, body men a
nd junkyards.

When I had my suburban, to me, that was the best cross country vehicle. Plenty of room to stretch out in, enough room with the third row removed to sleep in. Plus all of our gear was inside with us. I also pulled my "redneck" camper too, all that is, is a 7'x14' enclosed trailer built into a camper/toyhauler. But the 'burban was starting to get tired, so I traded it in for my F150, I put a topper on it and have the storage still, but regret buying it. So now I'm looking for a 2500 'burban, to replace my truck and I'll throw my winch on it and call it good again.

Been reading a lot about folks loving their suburbans. We loved the one we rented. love to take an older 2500 and deck it out for this!

Be thinking about reliability and fuel mileage during your entire brainstorming process.

I have a couple of friends that have built adventure vans and lived out of them for extend periods of time. One couple rebuilt a school bus which was awesome, although got terrible gas mileage and was a pain to park, 2 couples went with Ford 350 vans, and 1 couple picked up a sprinter. If I was going to build a hunting rig I would probably go with the 350.

Ford F150 4x4 four door and pull a cargo trailer.

Glad you like the 6.0 3/4 T. Mine is a truck though, any probs you know of when they to 100,000+? I am at 103K on mine.

Nope. I know of several at 200K plus. I have one at 170K. The GM LS series of engines are the best gassers made. It's a way better truck for hunting than my F250 Powerstroke is. mtmuley

You can also look into a ford excursion, especially if you can find one with the 7.3. Plenty of room and built like a tank, the V10 versions drinks a little gas but dependable. The el expeditions have a smoother ride and almost as big. I have had two of the el expeditions 4x4, traded one in at 150k for my current one at 80k. no problems with them.

4 door pu with at least a 6.5' box and a topper with a rack. No trailer to deal with and every thing is secure and dry. Elk racks tie nicely to a yak rack.

Nope. I know of several at 200K plus. I have one at 170K. The GM LS series of engines are the best gassers made. It's a way better truck for hunting than my F250 Powerstroke is. mtmuley

Thanks for the input! I really like the 4:10 rear, some people grouse at the mileage, but when you are towing who in the hell counts?

4 door pu with at least a 6.5' box and a topper with a rack. No trailer to deal with and every thing is secure and dry. Elk racks tie nicely to a yak rack.

This^^^having the flexibility of an actual truck is something that you will never be sorry for. I don't have a 4 door truck but did go back to a truck from a Jeep because I was always pining for the bed. I am a fan of , and have, an 8 ft bed but a 6.5 with a cap is very usable. In the 8ft bed with a cap of the old F350 I had I could get everything for a 10 day camp for 6 people inside and still have room for animals.

I giggled reading the suburban comments and remembering an old suburban we used to have. Towards the end it backfired the whole way down the mountain, but it never left us stranded. Spray painted camouflage. On a more constructive note I would also vote for the older gm type vehicles for the budget I thought it saw. I have been pretty happy with my 3/4 ton pickup with 175000 miles. It’s a little bit of a driveway ornament for daily use because it doesn’t pass many gas stations.

I'll be buying another here in a year or 2, and I'm thinking about buying a midsize SUV and towing a small trailer when needed. Something like a newer Cherokee Trailhawk or possibly one of the new Ford SUVs (Bronco or the "baby" bronco they'll be building). Most times I could get everything I need on a roof rack and/or hitch hauler, if multiple guys are going with a big camp set up pull a small trailer. Cost of ownership (fuel/etc.) would definitely be a lot lower than a big truck.

Glad you like the 6.0 3/4 T. Mine is a truck though, any probs you know of when they to 100,000+? I am at 103K on mine.

Just the normal stuff. Fuel pump, water pump, a/c tensioner, primary tensioner, idler.

don't mix the green coolant with the dex-cool. Go 100% one or the other.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back