Blaze Orange vs. Camo

I almost always wear an orange hat at a minimum even when it is not required. If someone shoots me they were trying to....

I feel like most of the vests I'm seeing out there are just straight orange. I feel like, even though it doesn't appear as "orange" to a deer or elk, a big block-like chunk would be noticeable. Does anybody know of a company that makes a "hybrid"? Like, a camo vest that has hunter orange worked into the camo pattern?

I wear an orange vest, cause I get too hot walking with a hat on. I take my orange off when I get in my stand(legal in my State). I do that cause I've had too many turkeys and squirrels and other critters spook deer cause they saw my orange.

I feel like most of the vests I'm seeing out there are just straight orange. I feel like, even though it doesn't appear as "orange" to a deer or elk, a big block-like chunk would be noticeable. Does anybody know of a company that makes a "hybrid"? Like, a camo vest that has hunter orange worked into the camo pattern?

There are a few companies out there that make this. I think of Natural Gear in particular. But it's mostly orange with a little branch here and there to break it up a bit. I think it's fine. You need to have enough orange to stay identifiable to people.

But make sure you CHECK THE REGULATIONS because some states won't even allow camo orange. Must be solid.

As far as camo patterns, take it or leave it. I think it might make a difference but who knows...Just get good technical gear, preferably wool base layers.

Also, I prefer to hang a piece of hunter orange on my pack since my back is covered by the pack. And carrying the antlers out on top of the pack looks cool but I worry some idiot would shoot at moving antlers so consider putting the orange over them.

Even on the days I hunt naked I will still have on a blaze orange hat.

Joking aside......I say the more blaze orange the better .

If I find a shed anter during rifle season I don’t even like strapping it to my pack without orange wrapped around it .

Last edited:
Yeah I was planning on getting some orange plastic wrap for the antlers, and hanging some orange off my pack. Good to know - a common theme is "Wear. Orange." Appreciate the feedback & input everyone!

I lived in CA for many years and never wore orange. Always had an orange hat in my pack that I'd wear while packing out my kill. I did start wearing it all the time after seeing a guy staring at me through his rifle scope while his buddy stood there also looking at me, but with binoculars.

Not a good feeling and I believe had I been wearing orange, that wouldn't of happened. But living in MT now, its orange all the time, no choice.

I have one of these orange panels and really like it for safety: https://www.orangeaglow.com/products/blaze-orange-safety-panel-1 Hard to beat for $12 TYD. For archery, I keep it in my kill kit until I put something down and am packing out. For rifle season, it fits perfectly on the top lid of my pack and stays there until the end of season. I purchased one after I saw a picture of myself with my typical pack and bino harness on, and realized I didn't have the blaze coverage I should (especially from behind). I've also purchased for gifts for hunting buddies.

State & or hunt specific. I always have a mesh safety vest in my hunt pack regardless of where I am & I have put it on before getting out of there....

Off-hand, I can recall 3 hunting "accidents" here in AK where not wearing orange was a factor. 2 resulted in a death, 1 wounding. One death was a son shot by his father. The wounding happened between 2 friends (the shooter was credited with saving the shot friend's life.
Alaska is the LAST place you would think that wearing orange would be a safety factor. I'll wear orange while hunting, thank you.

One other thing: "hunters" who look at a scope sight as a viewing instrument, rather than an "aiming" instrument should have said scope shoved so far up their butt that it could only be removed by a surgeon - using a knife that I carefully sharpened for that express purpose.

As a small anecdote - I was wearing some BRIGHT orange this year during opening day of Ohio's gun season. A doe came to about 20 yards from my stand, stopped and stared at me for a solid minute. I stayed absolutely still, and didn't make eye contact. After a bit she decided I was just a weird bump on a tree, and walked directly under my stand. Her backstraps are delicious. I was always skeptical that "deer can't see orange" - but after that encounter, I'm a firm believer. Put it on, don't get shot, kill deer.

I have one of these orange panels and really like it for safety: https://www.orangeaglow.com/products/blaze-orange-safety-panel-1 Hard to beat for $12 TYD. For archery, I keep it in my kill kit until I put something down and am packing out. For rifle season, it fits perfectly on the top lid of my pack and stays there until the end of season. I purchased one after I saw a picture of myself with my typical pack and bino harness on, and realized I didn't have the blaze coverage I should (especially from behind). I've also purchased for gifts for hunting buddies.

Thanks for sharing, much less ghetto than the shirt I tie to my pack!

I haven't noticed any mention of wearing while upland bird hunting. That can be the most important time to wear it all the players in the field changing their positions frequently it sure helps avoid an accident. I wear it for everything except archery and duck hunting.

I haven't noticed any mention of wearing while upland bird hunting. That can be the most important time to wear it all the players in the field changing their positions frequently it sure helps avoid an accident. I wear it for everything except archery and duck hunting.

Some of us are the only "player in the field", with the addition of our four legged nose. And that field is 10,674 acres - devoid of corn and whistle-blowing guide boys. Don't know how you 12 abreasters can tolerate that method:D.
And I am of NoDak and SoDak farmer stock......

It may not be legal in all states, but I have an Orange coat w/ a black leaf over print. Lots of orange, but in a broken pattern. 25 years running it's done just fine.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back