Public Land Etiquette Question

Here's some real examples, the most memorable that I can think of. What do you do:

You have a solid plan. You get out of bed at 2:45AM, hunting alone. You hike 4 miles in, and have another mile to go to be where you want to be at sun up. On the trail, you meet a guide, 2 clients, and a gaggle of horses tied up. They tell you, "You're going to have to wait, we're hunting from here at daylight." 1994 upper Gallatin.

You're backpacked in, 10+ miles. You've been there 2 days and have a solid plan on where to be at daylight. You're walking in the dark, an hour before daylight and run into a guide with 2 clients. Guide is nice, wants to know your plan as to "Not mess it up for you." (haha. right. Tom Heintz is the outfitter) 1999 Cowboy Heaven country.

You're headed in at a trail head where you can go multiple directions and each trail has multiple branches leading all over the "Bob". You shot a mule deer the evening before and are going into retrieve hind quarters and you're taking your pal with for a chance at another nice buck you saw in the same place. 1/2 mile up the main trail, 1.5 hours before daylight, not even on the USFS land yet, 2 slow (adult men 40years old +) hunters demand to know where you're headed and what your plan is. They are clearly not happy and not polite. 2008 rocky mtn front.

You've got a plan to hit a trail to see if any elk are moving and be at a place a few miles in to glass and walk looking for tracks. You're first to the trailhead and first down the trail in 3" of fresh powder. You wait at a meadow around 2 miles in. At daylight, you take off and continue down the trail and see 2 hunters striding out to catch up to you. What do you do, knowing they've walked in your jetwash for over an hour and it's 2 minutes after legal shooting light? This year Gallatin.

Here's some real examples, the most memorable that I can think of. What do you do:

You have a solid plan. You get out of bed at 2:45AM, hunting alone. You hike 4 miles in, and have another mile to go to be where you want to be at sun up. On the trail, you meet a guide, 2 clients, and a gaggle of horses tied up. They tell you, "You're going to have to wait, we're hunting from here at daylight." 1994 upper Gallatin.

You're backpacked in, 10+ miles. You've been there 2 days and have a solid plan on where to be at daylight. You're walking in the dark, an hour before daylight and run into a guide with 2 clients. Guide is nice, wants to know your plan as to "Not mess it up for you." (haha. right. Tom Heintz is the outfitter) 1999 Cowboy Heaven country.

You're headed in at a trail head where you can go multiple directions and each trail has multiple branches leading all over the "Bob". You shot a mule deer the evening before and are going into retrieve hind quarters and you're taking your pal with for a chance at another nice buck you saw in the same place. 1/2 mile up the main trail, 1.5 hours before daylight, not even on the USFS land yet, 2 slow (adult men 40years old +) hunters demand to know where you're headed and what your plan is. They are clearly not happy and not polite. 2008 rocky mtn front.

You've got a plan to hit a trail to see if any elk are moving and be at a place a few miles in to glass and walk looking for tracks. You're first to the trailhead and first down the trail in 3" of fresh powder. You wait at a meadow around 2 miles in. At daylight, you take off and continue down the trail and see 2 hunters striding out to catch up to you. What do you do, knowing they've walked in your jetwash for over an hour and it's 2 minutes after legal shooting light? This year Gallatin.

Stick to your plan and hunt. All four cases. mtmuley

That would certainly qualify as a dick move, can't say that I've ever done anything like that, but have heard of such stories.

That definitely wasn’t directed at you.

In the four scenarios you just shared I think you’d be right to keep where you’re headed to yourself and boogie on past those folks. That outfitter saying , “ You’re gonna have to wait.” Is bullsh!t, and I bet it didn’t work.

I heard it used to get pretty tense up there... how did it turn out?

Shoulda' seen the Wapiti Y or anywhere else in Taylor Fork, or the Buffalohorn or Sage Cr. parking lots in November 1991. Or 1997.
Public land etiquette did not apply. A dead bull was a dead bull, regardless of absolutely anything. Was actually pretty interesting.....
Not that long ago, but a different time.

I follow Greenhorn’s approach anymore. Guys get pissy at the trailhead and act like you’re stealing from them. I’ll smile, say hi and keep walking when I see them. If they ask where I’m going, I’ll give general direction and wait to see their reaction.

I’ve had the same problem with Greenhorn’s other issue. Twice in the last two years I’ve had guys park next to my truck and walk up ridgelines in my footprints when they could have chosen empty ridges nearby. This year is I was hiking out hard on an opposing ridge, trying to beat a storm back to my truck, when I glassed two guys following our morning path (four ridges to choose from at the parking spot and the trail was muddy - they saw our prints). The path didn’t really allow alternative hunting areas for groups to separate. All hell was about to break loose weather wise. I grumpily turned to my son as I was pissed and said “I hope they’re wearing cotton.”

Last edited:
I heard it used to get pretty tense up there... how did it turn out?

That particular day I figured rather than losing teeth, I'd smile and turn around. After walking about 100 yards back downhill, I turned and went into the timber, then straight up. Got on the top of the ridge and glassed all the country the posse could see and then some before they rode through. The next day I came back, made the same route and was a little late to the top. A group on horseback beat me there. The next AM though I ended up with my first elk.

Last edited:
The most ridiculous display of poor ethics/sportsmanship was what I witnessed in Nebraska this season.

By, and brace yourself for a big surprise......drum-roll... residents of Nebraska....

I have never seen such foolishness and stupidity in my entire life and that is saying a lot because I have seen some serious stupidity.

The worst part is that a lot of the people had their kids with them teaching them the same nonsense and lack of ethics.

Had one guy come up behind me an 1/2 hour after daylight on the first day and tell me he planned to walk right in front of me across the basin I was glassing to get to the next basin back because "that is where he had planned to hunt for the day."

I just looked at him and said "So let me get this straight....you show up an 1/2 hour late, and want walk right in front of me where I am clearly glassing? Its public land dude...but come on..."

He said "My friends dont like to get to these spots until daylight so they dont have to walk in the dark and, well, if your going to make a big effing deal about it I wont"

I just looked at him and said, "I am going to make a big effing deal about it because I got in here early and I'm set up glassing this basin and If I was you I wouldn't do that to me and furthermore you saw my truck parked at the road and obviously this is the only place I could be at so why did you walk in on me in the first place?... thats all I'm going to say...."

He walked right by me and bumped all of the deer out of the basin. I was furious. We ended up just leaving the property to go hunt another.

This is just one of the many stories I have from this season. It was ridiculous there. Never again. NEVER.

A list of the stupid things I seen:

People Poaching
People trespassing
People walking right past you
People coming in late
People showing up late
People scoping hillsides with their rifles instead of their binoculars
People driving on public ground
People taking 600 yard shots at running deer.
People walking around at prime-time
People bring kids in there letting the kids scream, play, and giggle all morning
People blocking gates

I seen it all in the 7 days I was there. It was truly an experience I will never forget.

I should have a shirt made saying that "I survived 2018 Nebraska Rifle Season" because it truly was a success story. lol

The most ridiculous display of poor ethics/sportsmanship was what I witnessed in Nebraska this season.

By, and brace yourself for a big surprise......drum-roll... residents of Nebraska....

I have never seen such foolishness and stupidity in my entire life and that is saying a lot because I have seen some serious stupidity.

The worst part is that a lot of the people had their kids with them teaching them the same nonsense and lack of ethics.

Had one guy come up behind me an 1/2 hour after daylight on the first day and tell me he planned to walk right in front of me across the basin I was glassing to get to the next basin back because "that is where he had planned to hunt for the day."

I just looked at him and said "So let me get this straight....you show up an 1/2 hour late, and want walk right in front of me where I am clearly glassing? Its public land dude...but come on..."

He said "My friends dont like to get to these spots until daylight so they dont have to walk in the dark and, well, if your going to make a big effing deal about it I wont"

I just looked at him and said, "I am going to make a big effing deal about it because I got in here early and I'm set up glassing this basin and If I was you I wouldn't do that to me and furthermore you saw my truck parked at the road and obviously this is the only place I could be at so why did you walk in on me in the first place?... thats all I'm going to say...."

He walked right by me and bumped all of the deer out of the basin. I was furious. We ended up just leaving the property to go hunt another.

This is just one of the many stories I have from this season. It was ridiculous there. Never again. NEVER.

People Poaching
People trespassing
People coming in late
People showing up late
People bring kids in there letting the kids scream, play, and giggle all morning
People blocking gates

I seen it all in the 7 days I was there. It was truly an experience I will never forget.

I should have a shirt made saying that "I survived 2018 Nebraska Rifle Season" because it truly was a success story. lol

It's really not surprising since schools don't teach and a lot of so-called "parents" have never been taught any kind of manners anywhere. Even more amazing is how few folks end up being shot or injured.
I remember JFK's inaugeral quote, "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country." Boy has that gone out of style, buried deep and forgotten. Now it's "I take what I want first and the hell with the rest of you." Sorry for my rant, well maybe not. GJ

That particular day I figured rather than losing teeth, I'd smile and turn around. After walking about 100 yards back downhill, I turned and went into the timber, then straight up. Got on the top of the ridge and glassed all the country the posse could see and then some before they rode through. The next day I came back, made the same route and was a little late to the top. A group on horseback beat me there. The next AM though I ended up with my first elk.
LOL, I caught your full story. I remember Peter from grad school. About that time I tried the shoot show in Gardiner with one of our colleagues and decided I'd rather not have an elk than do that again. These days I just tell the other person where I'm going and if he wants to work with me that's fine. On the last day of the season I was talking with a guy for a couple minutes at the trailhead before I realized I knew him.

If I see a truck parked in an area that has very few hunting spots, I'll go elsewhere. Trailheads with multiple spots are a different story.

I'm polite and talk to people if they seem interested, my responses predicated on how they speak to me.

It's public land. I have multiple backup spots in mind if someone ruins my plan. It could be a hiker, camper, dog, whatever that runs through an area I'm hunting. I can't expect every public land user to surrender to the subtle nuances of my hobby.

And besides, if you want a place guaranteed to yourself to hunt an animal you've been watching or naming all summer, pay the man and hunt private land.

Then again, I hunt eastern hardwoods and I've only hunted the west once so maybe you guys are more finicky. Lol.

People Poaching
People trespassing
People coming in late
People showing up late
People blocking gates

So you thought you had "dibs" on that basin because you got there first? And that since your car was there first he should not parked there and hunted?

Sounds like a normal day of hunting public land in Nebraska to me aside from the poaching you claim to have witnessed. Did you turn them in BTW?

I'm not going to explain myself or the situation any further than what I have. I will just say that was he did was ridiculous and I would never have done what he did to another hunter.
But it doesn't surprise me to hear you try to call me out on it because your from Wyoming (County 2 most likely) and all bets are off there as well.... as I have learned from the Wyoming County 2 residents in the past.

By the way, the game warden was already there writing tickets and seizing the deer.

The sad thing is that most of the issues I have had when hunting out of state are "Locals".

This must have been a horrible experience for you. Were there tears?

People coming in late
People showing up late

I learned my lesson 2 yrs ago on one of the biggest archery bulls I've ever hunted. I'd been on him 3 days in a row when he moved over a mountain at dark with his cows. I knew right where I needed to be in the morning which wasn't far from a trailhead. I get there in the morning in the dark to find a truck still hot in the parking lot and my bull bugling up on the hill in the timber. Another bull straight behind me is answering him so I leave the giant bull to pursue the other bull because surely the gentleman ahead of me is heading straight for the bugling bull. Long story short my bull shuts up about an 1 into daylight while the one across the canyon is still screaming. Surely this dude is at full draw the bull is bugling about every minute on the minimum. Well after hiking back to the truck now 2 hours after light the bull I wanted to go after is slowing down but still talking so I head his way frustrated that I hadn't just gone for him off the get go. I get to the steep part of the hill and decide nah I'll just wait and come back in the evening. As I turned and start walking back I hear the guy who beat me there behind me. I turn and say "so did you get close to him?" "He says what do you mean?" I said the bull that's been bugling all morning. " He said no I heard another one and went over that way". Which was a totally different direction. I was fuming at myself. This bull was a monster and he'd never bugled as much as this morning allowing you to know his location exactly. From that day forward I will stick with my plan even if there is a truck at the trailhead ahead of me. I had put in a ton of time following this bull and have as much right to be there as the guy who luckily pulls up and happens to hear him. I also learned that you have no idea what others are going to do anyway. It's public land. I don't own it and neither do they so if we mess each other up so be it. Maybe they won't come back if they get frustrated.

This must have been a horrible experience for you. Were there tears?

People coming in late
People showing up late

getoffmylawn.jpg

I no longer share my plans other than a general direction.

A few years ago I had found some elk before shooting light on top of the mountain just where they were the night before. I peeled off the trail from down below and starting hiking straight up to them. There were other rigs at the trailhead like usual but no tracks in front of me as I headed off trail. About a 1/3 of the way up still before legal light I see a two people sitting and glassing the area I had just came through. I waved and moved to circle around them a bit surprised to see them there as I didn't see any tracks. As I moved up the hill I look over and see the guy coming over to me waving his hands. Not really wanting to I stop to talk to him I stop anyway. He asks where I'm going so he doesn't get in my way. I tell him up to the hill. He pressures for more information, telling me they're not hunting elk, just trying to get a deer for his daughter. I tell him I'll head to the top then not sure after that. He presses for more, asks a third time. I give in, after all they're just hunting deer. I tell him there's some elk up there, saw a bull the night before so going after them wish him luck and I take off.

I get up to the elk and I start looking for the bull, not finding him I move closer, the elk are starting to get nervous, did I spook them, no couldn't be they're looking directly downhill and I'm off to their side. The heard blows up and takes off. It's mid november and my last day I could hunt elk, I'm pretty bummed. I go to the top and look around nothing but tracks... and then I see them, the father/daughter came right up below the elk and blew them out. I was pretty pissed. If you run into me and ask what my plans are don't be surprised if I am not that detailed.

I'm not going to explain myself or the situation any further than what I have. I will just say that was he did was ridiculous and I would never have done what he did to another hunter.
But it doesn't surprise me to hear you try to call me out on it because your from Wyoming (County 2 most likely) and all bets are off there as well.... as I have learned from the Wyoming County 2 residents in the past.

By the way, the game warden was already there writing tickets and seizing the deer.

The sad thing is that most of the issues I have had when hunting out of state are "Locals".

I am simply trying to understand what you are so upset about as what you described is a pretty typical day of public land hunting in Nebraska. You will see people, they will walk by you, you will see trucks, they will park by you, business as usual.

Notice how you immediately try to change the subject to those god dammed country 2 residents in Wyoming???? Sounds like you have a lot of issues with people when hunting.

Why was the game warden writing tickets and seizing deer? You never did say what kind of poaching you witnessed? Everything else you described is pretty normal yet you act like its was the end of the world.

You brought it up, and now don't want to talk about it.

That is correct.

And BTW I never cursed you guys nor did I use the lords name in vein.

But you sir, may call yourselves whatever you may wish.

Public land is just that, public land. That doesn't mean we have to toss our moral and ethical compass in the garbage when we hunt there.

Thats all I'm driving at.

Ethics, some people have it, some people never will.

Last edited:
That is correct.

And BTW I never cursed you guys nor did I use the lords name in vein.

But you sir, may call yourselves whatever you may wish.

Public land is just that, public land. That doesn't mean we have to toss our moral and ethical compass in the garbage when we hunt there.

Thats all I'm driving at.

Ethics, some people have it, some people never will.

Laramie is county 5 BTW. So what did the county 2 residents of WY do to you that was so horrible?

Park by you?
Walk by you?
Show up late?
Walk around at prime time?

Back