Cabela’s multi day backpack Item: IK-467229

Chuckchapman1

Has anyone used or have this backpack? Looking for my first pack without blowing a ton of money. Have some Cabela’s points built up. Or if anyone has a used one I’d be interested.

Hey. No but I just looked it up. The hip belt and padding does look nice. It's heavy. Does that lead to durability?

But I would take a close look at the frame in store. Says in the q and a that it is not a full frame but rather has aluminum stays. Pretty sure this is what I had and it would not hold weight well. You can check if the back flexes when you push on it then it will certainly struggle with more than 30 lbs.

If the frame is what I think it is you can probably do better with certain backpacking packs for similar money. An external frame will do better for less money especially at that weight.

Hope that helps.

What kinda of hunting are you looking to do?

If you are hunting from the truck/base camp I think it will get the job done, probably would be fine during early archery seasons as well.

These are my concerns from the videos/website.

Looks like the main bag is only 2500 but expands to 4000... which means you can carry extra nicknacks but are limited in actual gear spaces. Looks like the guy in the demo wasn't able to fit his sleeping bag in the pack. I have a great down bag, super light pad, and a good tent set up and it would be tight for me to get it in that bag... although I think I could manage. Basically just be aware if you don't have lightweight backing gear to begin with could be tough, and you probably are strapping shit to the sides like in the demo.

Frame and components look pretty cheap, and the bag is pretty damn heavy for the size. On the plus side it does have a meat shelf.

Honestly as a first buy it will get the job done, and probably has a slight edge on a Gregory/osprey bag for hunting purposes. You will be a bit frustrated by a few things, and will probably want to upgrade in a couple of seasons, but if the difference between hunting elk/deer this year versus next is the $200-$300 to get really good pack I would get this and go hunting.

Ps. Before you buy type in Stone glacier, Kifaru, mystery ranch, and exo on ebay and see what's being sold.

What kinda of hunting are you looking to do?

If you are hunting from the truck/base camp I think it will get the job done, probably would be fine during early archery seasons as well.

These are my concerns from the videos/website.

Looks like the main bag is only 2500 but expands to 4000... which means you can carry extra nicknacks but are limited in actual gear spaces. Looks like the guy in the demo wasn't able to fit his sleeping bag in the pack. I have a great down bag, super light pad, and a good tent set up and it would be tight for me to get it in that bag... although I think I could manage. Basically just be aware if you don't have lightweight backing gear to begin with could be tough, and you probably are strapping shit to the sides like in the demo.

Frame and components look pretty cheap, and the bag is pretty damn heavy for the size. On the plus side it does have a meat shelf.

Honestly as a first buy it will get the job done, and probably has a slight edge on a Gregory/osprey bag for hunting purposes. You will be a bit frustrated by a few things, and will probably want to upgrade in a couple of seasons, but if the difference between hunting elk/deer this year versus next is the $200-$300 to get really good pack I would get this and go hunting.

Ps. Before you buy type in Stone glacier, Kifaru, mystery ranch, and exo on ebay and see what's being sold.

Definitely check ebay or the classifieds for the bags listed above. You may get lucky and get a steal. Those bags are worth the money

I agree with a lot of your points. I do want a hunting specific pack with a meat hauling shelf (feeling optimistic) starting out probably truck hunting with an overnight if called upon. Down the road want to do 4-7 night tent hunts but will have experience and better idea of what gear is essential and what isn’t.

If money is the main concern look on the used market and for non hunting brand packs. There are deals to be had if you don't have to have the latest and greatest.

Unless you like to do serious back country adventures for days at a time a simple pack that can carry what you need to day hunt and a couple quarters when you kill something is about all you need in a first pack. Most guys simply day hunt so there is really no reason to go overboard with a huge pack setup.

Do you plan on carrying hunting gear plus sleeping bags, pads, days worth of food, etc? Or just rain gear, snacks, water, knife, game bag?
Deer and antelope? Or Elk?

I don't think I have ever used a pack with a "meat hauling shelf" but have managed to pack out plenty of animals. For a first pack I would not worry about getting a "3/4 ton suburan" type of pack for heavy meat hauling as if you are day hunting most of your time will be spent with very little in the pack and you will be better off to be light as opposed to packing a heavier frame around all the time. If you do shoot a deer or antelope as long as you get get 2 quarters out in one load then you are good to go. You can always get more specialized packs as your hunting style changes but you are better off to wait for those purchases until you have more experience and know what you like.

One feature to keep in mind is if/how the pack holds your rifle. Everyone had a preference.

These pictures of my old pack show just what to watch out for. These aluminum stays bend with fingertip pressure. Meat shelf or not, these won't even carry your standard load too well. The frame doesnt have to be bullet proof such that you can jump up and down on it but it shouldn't bend with your fingertips. If it did have a good frame, I could see how you could get a deer out with your gear in one trip with the meat shelf especially if you boned it which case you might get it out without the shelf with your tent to the outside with straps. A bear you are taking two trips either way due to the hide and skull. With bigger animals you may or may not save a trip. But in my personal opinion a frame that you can't bend with your finger tips and hopefully connects at the top and bottom is number 1.
20181203_192613.jpg
20181203_192646.jpg
20181203_192326.jpg

A bear you are taking two trips either way due to the hide and skull.

Hide, skull, all the meat bone in... learn to bone out meat your back will thank you... because I’m a moron I packed this three miles to my camp where I loaded up everything and tried to make a go of it in a single trip... after crushing defeat I adjusted my plane and made two trips, but hey learned an SG pack can carry more weight than I can without breaking.
pic1.jpg

Last edited:
Hide, skull, all the meat bone in... learn to bone out meat your back will thank you... because I’m a moron I packed this three miles to my camp where I loaded up everything and tried to make a go of it in a single trip... after crushing defeat I adjusted my plane and made two trips, but hey learned an SG pack can carry more weight than I can without breaking.
View attachment 91024

Ironically I'm due to bone the last two quarters for burger tomorrow.

Maybe next time. I had my work cut out for me this time. Skinning was the rough part though. With bone in took a good 65 liters+ for a 5 foot bear. Only had to go 1/2 mile for plane which was good because getting dark with the brown bear. Assume the meat was 2/3 that which is why I figure a deer might make it in 1 trip.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back