Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Trip to Yellowstone with the family

I used to guide inside Yellowstone, so here are a few insights:

I'd steer clear of West Yellowstone. Way too many tour buses and tchotchke shops. I personally love Jackson Hole, but would not be able to afford to stay there. It's quite a haul to Yellowstone each day from Jackson, though the sunrises in the Tetons are not to be missed. (Check out Mormon Row barn, or Schwabacher's landing for morning photo ops. If there's any wind at all, definitely avoid Schwabacher's - the reflection is incredible if it's super calm though). Also, great bear watching in the northern part of Teton Park, but it's not as wide open to spot the bears as northern Yellowstone. Don't miss a drive down Moose - Wilson road for moose sightings. Almost always a moose below the bridge as you get to the visitor center in Moose Junction.

The east and northeast entrances are definitely my favorite drives in the park. Far less traffic out of the east entrance than any other, though the road is very mountainous and has nearly zero thermal features. If you're going out the East entrance, I wouldn't miss Lake Butte Drive, just past Mary's Bay on the lake. It's a 2 mile road that climbs about 800' and has a great view of the lake all the way to the Tetons if it's clear. Lots of grizzly bears on the north side of the road as you approach the lake (Steamboat point area). They seem to usually show up in the burn just west of Steamboat point, or just east of it in the clearings above the road. Cody is 2 hours from Lake Village without stops. It's only 70 miles, but it's slow going. It's another hour and a half to old faithful from there in the summer. It would be tough to do that drive every day for more than a couple days without moving. The tetons aren't much better - maybe an hour from Jackson to the south entrance, but you're still another hour plus from old faithful, and two and a half hours from Lake.

Lamar Valley and the predominant wildlife section of the park are on your way to the NE entrance. Plenty has been written on Lamar Valley, so I won't go into it here. It's a great place to look for grizzlies and wolves, and probably the easiest place to find one due to wildlife guides, photographers, and researchers spotting the animals at a distance. Great photo ops on your way to Cooke City, and the beartooth pass is as beautiful of a drive as there is.

Gardiner is a great base for the northern part of the park. Check out Flying Pig for whitewater/horseback riding if you head there - the whitewater is pretty mild for the half day trip.

Definitely check out the grand canyon of the yellowstone. Always loved taking people to the brink of the upper falls. In August, there's always a few big bull elk hanging around the canyon area - often in the meadow across from the horse corrals.

Let me know if you have any questions - I'm happy to help :) I can turn you on to some good fishing spots, but I'll save that for a PM.

But if you want to buy a rubber tomahawk made in China, catch a good case of food poisoning, pay to watch wolves and g bears in a fence right on YNP's border, and spend $1764 buying the family an entire Yellowstone memorabilia wardrobe (footie jammies, underwear, and stocking caps included) - West Yellowstone is THE destination of choice.

Of course.
When one and one's family drive 1246 miles from name-your-urban/suburban locale to view the wonders of the American mecca of the great out of doors, a fast food fix needs to be within striking distance (assuming that a buffalo jam doesn't keep you on the park's pavement so long that by the time you make it to WYel, the only thing open is the convenience stores and you have to settle for microwaved burritos and cheetos).

I am in the Park before the sun comes up and leave around 10. Usually don't come back until mid-afternoon. A family (if I have one) might complain, but GuNR says nothing. I chuckle when leaving the Park via West Yellowstone and observing the mob coming in. Doesn't look like fun to me.

There should be directions; and penalties for not driving around a "cow" on the road. hahah

I plan to be back down there later this month. Crowds are less frequent this time of year.

24404441733_82d53f5105_b.jpg

Last edited:
If you wanna' really have fun, drive right THROUGH the bufflers - the looks of terror and disdain are priceless.

In all seriousness - YNP is a great place - those of us who have seen it about a hundred time are just a little jaded and tend to forget how lucky we are to live next door to it.
Livestock producers excluded.....

I live in Jackson. It's insanely busy here in the height of tourist season and even more insanely expensive.
If you're going to visit both parks starting here is a good plan since GTNP is 12mi up the road. If you're just going to Yellowstone I would stay in Cody.

Mtmiller. Great picture. I envy you. My wife didn’t like Beartooth Pass. No guide rails haha. As if they’d help.

If you wanna' really have fun, drive right THROUGH the bufflers - the looks of terror and disdain are priceless.

Complete disdain when I pass a couple minivans to drive through a handful of bulls. I have the same for those folks.....break even.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back