Got my elk back from the butcher thursday

Little Big Man MT Chris

After harvesting 2 elk in 2017 plus a deer and then getting another buck and elk in 2018 , I’m in a meat overload !!! I usually just get steaks and burger made with my critters because its cheaper but because of all the extra meat from past seasons , like a 2 year supply of steak and burger, this year I had smoked meats made from both my Blacktail and Roosevelt this season although it cost me a lot more coin like 350 to 400$ more , I had multiple types of pepperoni sticks , summer sausage, beer sausage and even had some breakfast sausage made with my elk and still ended up with 70 pounds of burger from this years elk !! Just thawed out my 1st pack of elk summer sausage this afternoon, this roll is a jalapeño cheddar, oh man I’m feeling spoiled

0D9E0682-D3EC-42E7-8983-7292FBE822A8.jpg

Last edited:
I do about 100# of trimmings a year into pepperoni and summer sausage. Summer is 2 something a pound and pepperoni almost 4 a pound. It averages out to about $300 to do up 100# of meat.

It goes quick though. A gift here, neighbor there, family dinner appetizer, ect.... next thing you know your hoarding your last log or two.

That stuff pictured looks like primo stuff.

I do the straight summer sausage with added cheese and the jalapeno cheddar with all my trimmings. Tired of spending the cash to have a processor do it and convinced the wife to let me acquire the necessary equipment to do it myself several years ago. Put the logs in the smoker and have about 100 lbs between the two recipes in the freezer right now. Already sharing with friends and family. One of the best parts of the whole process. Enjoy yours!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back