Dick's Sporting Goods considers removing all hunting gear from stores

Dicks 'R Us. Where a D!ck can be a D!ck.
(Humourous attempt to lighten it up a bit)

Agree Onpoint, whether one gives an F about the companies s/he spends the $ or one who values companies who support their interests... To each his/her own. ;)

Last edited:
No big loss to me. I have only been in a Dick's once in my life. Like someone else said, I think their hunting section was more of an afterthought than anything. Most of my hunting and fishing purchases either come from local small businesses or online

The only problem I see with it is that is marginalizes hunting to some extent, in that the more "Main Stream" drop the hunting depot the less non hunters see it. We already have big disconnect from non hunters and this adds to it.

I'm not sure why this would be a loss to hunters. The very few times I've been in Dick's I have seen nothing of interest to me anyway. This is a casualty in search of a tragedy I guess.

Prior to them getting rid of AR style rifles a while back I had no clue they even sold hunting gear and firearms. Always thought they were more like a foot locker or something.

Since Patagonia has come up, I just read an article about the Hunter Mentorship program at the U of M. Part of the money to purchase tags for the participants came from BHA. Some of that money was from a grant from Patagonia. Found it interesting. mtmuley

I'd love to read up on that if you have a link...

I read the article a few days ago so maybe I missed or forgot something, but did it say somewhere that dicks was testing the removal of hunting equipment and apparel because they don't support hunting or was it because it wasn't a profitable portion of their offerings.

Honestly Im sad to see the way things have gone with Dicks and Field and Stream. I'm in Fayetteville, NC and for 10+ years, Dicks Sporting Goods was the only place around to buy hunting supplies. It was a small store so every year after hunting season they would clearance all of their hunting supplies so I could get some truly great deals. They just opened a Field and Stream here last year along with a Gander Outdoors and an Academy Sports so clearly there is a strong market for outdoor suppliers. Field and Stream has definitely suffered here as a result of the political drama. Gander and Academy parking lots are almost always full while Field and Stream is almost always empty. I was looking forward to them coming to town ever since I heard and after going to one of their stores in PA. Also my boys loved going into the store and looking at all the taxidermy mounts. Its the only one of the three that has taxidermy.

Regardless of how I feel about their political views, I still sit back and think its sad that one of my favorite stores took such a poor turn.

I'm not sure why this would be a loss to hunters. The very few times I've been in Dick's I have seen nothing of interest to me anyway.

Honestly I feel this way about basspro/cabelas, they have a decent selection online but I rarely can find anything I'm looking in their stores aside from duck/goose loads for my shotgun. I went into the Denver Cabelas this past weekend, I'm in the market for a muck boot and figured I could go in and try on a few styles and sizes. They only had one kind, the Cabelas label, and didn't have my size... so I used amazon wardrobe instead, Cabelas also doesn't typically carry any bullets in 6.5 or a vary wide range of powders.

Aside from places like Barney's in anchorage, Schnee's in Bozeman or RMS Gear in Denver, I think your best bet for finding quality gear is the internet. Seems like if a hunting store has more than 10 parking spots in it's lot the only stuff they will carry is cheap plastic shit.

The only major retailer I really care to go into is Scheels and occasionally Sportsman’s Warehouse.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back