Glassing pad or chair?

Dieseldog

What's ur guys go to glassing pad or chair? Crazy Creek chair looks good and have a couple friends that like em. Does anyone pack in a Helinox? Right now I just use whatever piece of clothing I'm not wearing and I sit on it.

A bare rock ledge:D

Or, maybe - what's ur guys go to glassing vehicle, Tundra, Ram, or Raptor?
Back to the original question....

A bare rock ledge:D

Or, maybe - what's ur guys go to glassing vehicle, Tundra, Ram, or Raptor?
Back to the original question....

Maybe a Minnie Winnie with a fully stocked fridge! Might need 4x4 to get to the best spots

I just use an old Kuiu glassing pad. It ain't much of a pad but what can you expect for something that weighs 1 ounce.

i use a tree stand pad i bought a few years ago, it's closed cell foam pad about an inch in thickness, don't think i paid more than $7 for it.

I use a small pad but thinking of getting one of the small chairs my bro got. It rolls up into nothing has fiberglass rod frame& weighs nothing....mini lawnchair he got for a trip.

I picked up a couple of used Z-lite waffle foam pads at the Summit Hut annual yard sale for $1 each.
Cut one in half and got the wife and I glassing pads - total cost $0.50/each
The other one got cut into a 1/2 section and 2 x 1/4 sections and now our dogs each have their own sleeping pad for when we take them camping. Total cost $0.33/each.

We also have a pair of Klymit inflatable sit pads which work great for sitting on at lunch while hiking but since they are not insulated they dont do well for late season. The z-lite foam pad live in my hunting pack now. This year we had a real cold snap down in Arkansas where I hunt whitetails out of a tree stand and i used the second pad to go under my feet to insulate them from the cold metal of the treestand (I was sitting on the old round foam-bead filled seats from my youth).

That being said if I saw a helinox cot and chair in the clearance rack I would grab one in a heart beat.

I've used a Crazy Creek chair for many years because of the comfort factor/back support. To save weight it does double duty laid out flat as a sleeping pad under my bag.

For calling moose I am in the same spot from before sunrise until after sunset,
so long-term glassing comfort is important to me. I use
https://helinox.com/products/chair-one-mini

At 1.1 lbs, pretty heavy for backpacking, but my hikes in to a moose calling ridge are not very far.

If a am on a true backpacking hunt, I usually glass and move quite a bit so comfort is less important
and I use a small pad then.

I use an inflatable kylmit pad with a diy field chair that is held up with trekking poles. It is great for long sits

I have a Helinox camp one chair and I can only sit in it for an hour or so before my legs start to go numb. Its super light, takes up little room and can be super stable on hard ground but the jury is still out on if its worth it.

I find that the Helinox chair sits me too far back. It's a bit heavy for what I like to carry around, and is pretty bulky when it comes down to it. I prefer a Z-Lite - I leave mine whole because it straps to the outside of my pack without an issue, and it's nice to have the full size to lay down and take a mid-day nap, or I double it up when I'm sitting on it. Also it's big enough to share if you're feeling charitable.

I like the helinox zero chair I have especially for those wet days . It does sit a little far back but dang nice to have so your not sitting right in the wet grass or rocks. Also those crazy creek chairs are really nice as well.

I want to like the Helinox, but I'm just not sold. I borrowed one for a backpack trip last summer and it was nice for sure, but man it's tough to beat a chunk of CC foam for versatility in the spring and fall. It's a sitting pad, cutting board, blood barrier for packing skulls, place to kneel and piss out the vestibule...

Back