Caribou Gear Tarp

Best Free Research Tools?

efw

I’ve been accumulating points in Wyoming for a number of years while hunting second choice units & doe tags but am ready to cash in. Couldn’t do it w/o friends, so I’m sharing my points with my Uncle who has been my hunting mentor for years and a really close hunting partner who has never been out west. Between the 3 of us we’ll average 4.33... points.

I love this part of the hunt; the planning. I pulled the NR draw results from last year and eliminated anything that required 5 points or more and 3 points or less. I’d really like to maximize the impact of my points while at the same time being fairly certain we’ll get our first choice.

Anyway, I’ve used DIY hunt maps as a helpful resource in planning hunts as well as OnXMaps which is well worth the money. Are there other free online research tools you’d suggest?

I’ll be looking closely at WIAs & HMAs as I narrow things down but looking from a 40,000 foot view right now. I have a couple of units I am kinda leaning toward but trying to avoid letting that sway me this early to ensure I don’t overlook anything... and to prolong this part of the “hunt for the hunt” which I enjoy.

Thanks a lot for any insight you might offer,

Efw

Toprut can be somewhat useful and is free. The way point creep has jumped recently, I’d consider looking at units that took 3 points this year if you want to draw them with 4.3 next year.

You might reach out to some Wyoming residents for input. We live among st 'em as they say. Winter is ramping up and looks to be a good one for moisture. Folks around the state can give you an idea on conditions and how herds look say in early April. We'll also get the winter count numbers from G&F then.

I think you have already found three of the best, this forum, onX (not quite free), and the WY fish and game website (not quite free with the high price of those NR tags). Between the biologist and warden, the maps, draw odds, and success rates, the WY website has most of what you’ll need. Cross reference all that info with the forum and ask a few questions and you’re good to go after you’ve marked it all up on onX. If those previous hunts have been fun you know what you’re doing.

You might also want to think about looking at a couple years of draw odds and tag allocations to get an idea of where the units draw is trending and then make your choice once the 2019 allocations come out. Good luck on your hunt for the hunt

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too excited until the new license quotas come out; a 200 license increase to a 5 point area could get you in. Also, understand that 4.3333 is worse than 4.5000 but better than 4.2500.

All good advise above. For me ti would have been invaluable on this year's hunt to have an idea of topography and the layout of the land. Unless you're really good at topographic maps you'll want to at least have a look at the unit if you can.

All excellent tips here gentlemen thank you very much I’m continuing to research so I can be ready when allocations are released in April.

Change of plans! Neither my uncle nor my pard want me to share my points so we’ll go get me a buck in a 9 point unit (Green River/Red Desert area?) then over to Lusk where a buddy has access to private land where we’ll fill doe tags. Gonna be EPIC & I now need to figure out where to spend 9 points...

RE: WYO. As you look at units, read the JCR for the units. (Job Completion Reports) They are a biologists perspective of the units.

Thanks for dropping out of the 4.33 point pool efw, my Dad, my brother and I will likely be trying to burn our 4.33 points this fall. That said, Carbon County has more B&C entries than any other county in the world. I’d find a unit near there that would take all or almost all of those 9 points to draw.

I’ve put in for unit 61 in the random draw each of the past few years. Can’t say I’ve ever been, but in my dreams theres a Booner at every waterhole. Will you be going in to the special or regular draw? Good luck!

I second the job completion reports on Wyo game and fish's website. Lots of information in those

Thanks for dropping out of the 4.33 point pool efw, my Dad, my brother and I will likely be trying to burn our 4.33 points this fall. That said, Carbon County has more B&C entries than any other county in the world. I’d find a unit near there that would take all or almost all of those 9 points to draw.

I’ve put in for unit 61 in the random draw each of the past few years. Can’t say I’ve ever been, but in my dreams theres a Booner at every waterhole. Will you be going in to the special or regular draw? Good luck!

PM sent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back