How many different states and species do you apply for every year

For me it’s:
WY - pronghorn, deer and elk.
CO - deer and elk.
OR - all species points.
ID - goat last year but not sure about this year.

And for my kids it’s WY for my daughter and AZ for my son.

Going to Africa next year so probably points only in 2019.

AZ- Everything
CO- Elk, Deer, pronghorn
NM- Elk, Deer, pronghorn, Sheep
TX- Sheep, Deer, exotics
Utah-Everything
WY- Elk, Deer, Pronghorn

Been debating on adding NV to the mix but I usually can only swing three hunts the fall with work and I can get those tags without the investment of NV.

WY>deer/elk/antelope/moose
Co>Pts deer/elk/antelope. Moose draw
NM> elk/deer/sheep/oryx
Utah>Pts all

Only apply for 2 states.

AK -moose, sheep, goats, bison, brown bears, caribou, ox and sometimes elk. Can get all of them OTC, but some areas/times are limited
CO - elk and antelope

Only apply for 2 states.

AK -moose, sheep, goats, bison, brown bears, caribou, ox and sometimes elk. Can get all of them OTC, but some areas/times are limited
CO - elk and antelope

And if Montana doesn’t have leftover NR deer tags what are you going to do in Nov? You better put in. That giant Custer buck you killed this year has genes spread all over the forest. Better get another. ;)

And if Montana doesn’t have leftover NR deer tags what are you going to do in Nov? You better put in. That giant Custer buck you killed this year has genes spread all over the forest. Better get another. ;)

I get "Native" deer/elk tags OTC every year. No need to apply.

For those of you applying to more than 3-4 states. How do you afford all the fees? I know some are due at different times and are only due if you draw. What happens if you draw multiple states?

I cut back on the drinking and the smoking and I no longer hunt ducks and geese. lol

Iowa Deer
Colorado Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Moose
Montana Deer
South Dakota Black Hills, West River Deer, Pronghorn
Wyoming Deer, Elk, Pronghorn
Utah Deer, Elk, Pronghorn, Moose
Maine Moose
New Hampshire Moose
Minnesota Elk
Missouri Special Archery Hunt
Minnesota Special Archery Hunt
Tennessee Special Archery Hunt
Arkansas Special Archery Hunt

I only hunt big game in WY right now. I might look at other states as my kids grow older, but WY has plenty to keep a resident occupied. I’ll hunt upland birds in other states, ND and CO for sure, maybe NE, KS, and/or SD also.

For those of you applying to more than 3-4 states. How do you afford all the fees? I know some are due at different times and are only due if you draw. What happens if you draw multiple states?

I apply for approx. 40 hunts in 10 states. I literally have no other activities nor vices that I spend money on. Got rid of the unemployed dead weight ex. Keep track of my applications with two excel sheets: One listing hunts in order of application deadlines; The second a chart showing how each hunt overlaps by dates. I make all my hunt selections so as to minimize date conflicts. I try to pick hunts that are favorable to combos in the case of two overlapping. I also keep close track of where I can return tags in case of conflict. In 25 years I've been extraordinarily lucky in this regard. I am also lucky with regards to my time away from work. I load up in advance and take data with me which I can enter via my laptop from anywhere with wifi. This extends all my hunts a lot.

Last edited:
Co Elk, Deer
AZ everything
NM Speed Goats
Wy Elk, Deer, Speed goats (hunted speed goats this year)
IA have 4 points but not sure if i Will apply
Florida Turkey

Will prob start applying for everythig in Utah.
I understand Nevada now has a 365 day tag. Will start applying if I can apply with the License for 2 years like Utah.
I'm 42 and will retire at 58 so i need a longterm plan! ha

I apply the following:
Alaska (basically everything I'm a resident)
New Mexico(elk, barbary sheep and bighorn sheep)
Wyoming (buy points for elk, deer, and antelope) apply for random bighorn sheep
Arizona (elk, mule deer, sheep, antelope)
Nevada (elk, mule deer, antelope, sheep)
Going to buy start colorado for some mule deer and elk points.

Long term goal is to be able to do a quality hunt in Alaska each year and other state also most years.

CA: sheep, deer
NV: sheep, deer, elk
AZ: sheep, deer, elk, bison, turkey
NM: sheep, elk
CO: elk, deer
WY: elk, deer, antelope

Really only want to chase Desert Sheep unless a Rocky Mt or Dall sheep hunt falls into my lap (wild sheep raffle).

Co Elk, Deer
AZ everything
NM Speed Goats
Wy Elk, Deer, Speed goats (hunted speed goats this year)
IA have 4 points but not sure if i Will apply
Florida Turkey

Will prob start applying for everythig in Utah.
I understand Nevada now has a 365 day tag. Will start applying if I can apply with the License for 2 years like Utah.
I'm 42 and will retire at 58 so i need a longterm plan! ha

I'd highly recommend you to pass on the Utah game if applying from the ground floor. Odds are powerball for all species. There are far better places to invest that money than in Peay-to-Play's hand. Idaho would be one..........do the math.

Last edited:
WY - Elk, Sheep
NM - Elk, Deer, Antelope, Oryx, Ibex
ID - Sheep
MT - Sheep
ME - Moose (Just a point this year bc I drew last year)
KY - Elk
FL - Sambar
SC - Gator & Specialty Duck hunts

Get a 0% interest credit card. That way you can float your tag fees and don't have to pay interest and you usually get $150 bonus if you spend like $500 or $1000. Helps offset fees. Pay it off before the 0% interest is gone and cancel the card. Get a new one before next year.

Get a 0% interest credit card. That way you can float your tag fees and don't have to pay interest and you usually get $150 bonus if you spend like $500 or $1000. Helps offset fees. Pay it off before the 0% interest is gone and cancel the card. Get a new one before next year.

I mean if you don’t give a crap about your credit score...

I mean if you don’t give a crap about your credit score...

That’s what people say, but I have been using this system for 5 years for travel and bigger purchases to save money in the long run. My credit score is over 750. I don’t miss a payment. Could my score be better? Sure. Is this system for everyone? No. Am I going to do everything I can to go on more hunts? Yes.

Resident of NM and I apply for everything
CO: Sheep, Elk, MD, PH Pts
WY: Elk, MD, PH Pts only in the fall
AZ: Sheep, elk, D, PH
MT: Elk, MD, PH Pts only in the fall
ME: Moose
ID: Sheep
Oregon: Sheep, Elk, D, PH, Mtn Goat

Some of these apps prob dont sound smart, but there's a reason for it. I've considered adding NV on several occasions, but I cant talk myself into it and instead spend cash on several raffle tags for sheep.

Back