Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

How many different states and species do you apply for every year

Scott85

New to the out west hunting thing, so I have a question about tags. How many species and how many state do you apply for every year? Is it best to pick a bunch of states and species and throw the money knowing that in a few years you have a chance to hunt a couple different states or pick the same state and pick a couple different species. I'm not really looking for once in a lifetime hunts, just hunts in good areas with limited tags. I know there are OTC tags for years I don't draw anything. Right now I'm looking at a couple different states for tags and tags for elk, sheep and mule deer. I will also not be able to go on my first hunt until 2020. Thanks in advance for the help.

I apply in nine states and almost every species. If I draw tags in the earlier state's draws (like WY or AZ elk), then I'll shift to applying for lower odds hunts. It definitely gets costly, however I only do DIY and I usually draw 1 or 2 good tags for the year.

It seems like it grows every year.

New Mexico: elk,deer,antelope, and Bighorn sheep.

Wyoming: elk,deer, and antelope.

Colorado: elk,deer,antelope,moose,sheep,goat. (In retrospect I should have stayed out of the MSG game in Colorado but with 4 points for each I feel invested)

Idaho: moose.

South Dakota: west river deer, black hills deer, antelope, and trophy and non trophy bison.

I also put in for controlled hunts in my home state of Oklahoma and Texas as well.

I only hunt out west once or twice a year so by playing the game in several states I can almost guarantee drawing at least one descent tag a year. If I don't leftover and OTC tags are always a backup.

Times are really changing from 5-10 years ago with what you could get on basically an OTC tag.Now, I'm shifting how I apply.Im adding a new state this year that I should have done years ago.I always apply in states with no points,equal odds for everyone.And I build points in 2 other states.Not chasing any true trophy units as I'll never catch up.Once I have a few points,say 3-8 depending on state, I'll find a unit I can draw and have an enjoyable hunt.This way I can usually get a tag each year.This is my elk applications.Mule deer, I do points in 2 states and wait till I can get certain tags,2-5 pts.Antelope I only do in Wyoming and once I burn my 10 pts there will just do 1-4 pt units there.
Realistically, if your just getting started, your odds at a sheep,goat or moose tag where points are required are slim to none.

Times are really changing from 5-10 years ago with what you could get on basically an OTC tag.Now, I'm shifting how I apply.Im adding a new state this year that I should have done years ago.I always apply in states with no points,equal odds for everyone.And I build points in 2 other states.Not chasing any true trophy units as I'll never catch up.Once I have a few points,say 3-8 depending on state, I'll find a unit I can draw and have an enjoyable hunt.This way I can usually get a tag each year.This is my elk applications.Mule deer, I do points in 2 states and wait till I can get certain tags,2-5 pts.Antelope I only do in Wyoming and once I burn my 10 pts there will just do 1-4 pt units there.
Realistically, if your just getting started, your odds at a sheep,goat or moose tag where points are required are slim to none.

Thanks for the part at the end, I am 33 and new to all this, I understand the odds, about drawing a sheep, goat or moose tag. I might apply for those in states that are pure lottery and hope I have a horseshoe shoved where the sun doesn't shine. I also applied for the Wyoming supertag as well so that might be another chance for the to hunt those 3.

I've been looking at Wyoming being the primary state for mule deer and elk, with me applying for elk and mule deer in Arizona, Utah or Nevada. Colorado will be strictly for mule deer. Antelope will mainly be Wyoming as well. Sheep, goats and moose I will have to depend on a pure lottery state for hopes of getting tags. Thanks for the help thus far, ya'll rock.

I've been mostly banking points for other states the last several years because of having young children. I plan on doing 1 hunt a year out of state once they're a little older for deer, elk, antelope in WY, CO, AZ, and UT.

I apply for Wyoming Elk, New Mexico Elk, and Wyoming Mule Deer. This way I get refunds back before the next app is due so I never have more than one tag worth of money out in the ether, which keeps the wife happy. If I don't draw any of the three I go OTC or just save vacation time for the following turkey season. Can't lose, can't wait.

MT, WY, CO, SD, sometimes AK, AZ, CA. I do points for the more common species and try to burn points every 2-3 years. Some states like AZ and CA I don't play the points game, just apply for zero-point tags. I'd like to add ID and NM, but draw enough tags in the others every year to fill out my schedule.

I apply in nine states and almost every species. If I draw tags in the earlier state's draws (like WY or AZ elk), then I'll shift to applying for lower odds hunts. It definitely gets costly, however I only do DIY and I usually draw 1 or 2 good tags for the year.

This. Once get a decent tag in pocket, I look at applications note yet and go after tough to draw tags and Point Saver others. Am older guy so also toss some money at the Super Tag draws, especially sheep, goat and moose. I don't even keep track anymore but probably am out $3000 when the dust settles even if do not draw a tag. Some tags are more than $2000 now with very few under $300. At times have $1,000s on deposit at various states that require tag payment up front and they hold until after the draw results are announced.

I hate the non-resident application game as this is a tough one for Joe Six Pack to play and that hurts hunter recruitment. We all lose as big game hunter numbers dwindle. Application numbers look good right now after a decade of economic growth and low interest rates. That may be changing and will reduce applications, especially for those critters that are not named sheep, goat and moose.

As mentioned above it grows every year but I am playing catch up to most people on this forum. I'm now up to 74 separate application sessions on my spreadsheet which include a few for backup plans such as left overs, antlerless, Super's, some points only sessions if I decide to busy that year, etc. I'm up to 23 states and 12 species but adding Alaska this year. I started with all Moose states, then added all sheep states, then all elk states. I'm doing the research to apply for the most coveted tags but in a few nearby states I always try and end up with a handful of tags no matter if good or just acceptable as I still have lots to learn. Two weeks in the field with a "crappy" tag is much better than bumming around the house for two weeks as any unit has a chance at a great animal.
I would recommend every new state that you start applying for you try and get a paper copy of their hunt regs and application book, although some states don't print anymore. Some will mail them and others you can print from their website. The regs can be vastly different from one state to another. Not just the application process but the rules for being in the field. Be careful as some of the regs are just dumb but if you don't follow them then you will be the outsider that gets nailed. I get that paper copy and circle all the differences (odd regs) and keep it with me while in the field to reference. Learn something new every time I pick one up.

As I near a 100 days in the field this year it seems my thirst for adventure is only increasing. I may have to buy/start an outfitting company in my quest.

way too many......
Alaska , sheep
Idaho, sheep
Montana, sheep, points for everything
WY sheep, elk, points for everything else, That said I am dropping my applications and points for moose and sheep. They priced me out and with 11 points I am throwing good money after bad.
Utah, everything across the board
NV, everything across the board
AZ everything across board
NM, sheep and elk every year, sometimes lopes, Ibex, Barbary sheep and mule deer
TX, DBH when there is tag
CO, sheep, points for deer and elk...though that may change with the new regs, I might not apply for anything elk deer points
KY elk
PA elk
Maine, moose
NB moose
Iowa points, should draw this coming year
NH...I am out now
VT, out as well

way too many......
Alaska , sheep
Idaho, sheep
Montana, sheep, points for everything
WY sheep, elk, points for everything else, That said I am dropping my applications and points for moose and sheep. They priced me out and with 11 points I am throwing good money after bad.
Utah, everything across the board
NV, everything across the board
AZ everything across board
NM, sheep and elk every year, sometimes lopes, Ibex, Barbary sheep and mule deer
TX, DBH when there is tag
CO, sheep, points for deer and elk...though that may change with the new regs, I might not apply for anything elk deer points
KY elk
PA elk
Maine, moose
NB moose
Iowa points, should draw this coming year
NH...I am out now
VT, out as well

^^^ This looks nearly identical to my yearly application headache. Except for Alaska, I have never applied there. I also dropped my applications for WY sheep and moose. Additionally, I buy WI bear points and points for all species in CA.

Handful of states
3 species
with a delay of 4 years before I used any of my points.
This allowed me to almost guarantee a hunt in a decent unit every year. I am always drawing in with 3 points for any given species.

Downside to this is that I rarely will be able to hunt the same unit twice. Which is OK in my book.

Handful of states
3 species
with a delay of 4 years before I used any of my points.
This allowed me to almost guarantee a hunt in a decent unit every year. I am always drawing in with 3 points for any given species.

Downside to this is that I rarely will be able to hunt the same unit twice. Which is OK in my book.

That's kind of my situation, except for the 4 year delay. I hunted leftovers and OTC for the first few years.

I'm to the point now where I've done a few hunts two and three times, which is nice going to a place you're familiar with, but I also enjoy hunting new country.

Just my home state of CO. I do buy elk, deer, and speed goat points in WY. It is expensive to hunt out of state on a teacher's salary. I am able to hunt elk twice and get two deer tags a year at a minimum. It isn't too bad.

CO- Everything
MT- Everything
WY- Pronghorn, Elk
UT-Everything
AK- Caribou, Moose, Bears
NH- Moose
ID- One of the big three

I’m running around 11, with two additional that I have before, but I don’t every year (AK and OR). Mostly applying for tags, sometimes just buying points (depending on earlier draws), and buying raffle tickets.

AK - I don’t apply every year, only when I am trying to plan a trip (applied once, drew a Kuiu Island Blackbeard yah, but didn’t hunt due to the birth of my daughter).
AZ - deer, elk, Pronghorn, and sheep (I forgo Bison due to the outrageous NR tag fee), plus Super Raffle
CA - raffle tags for Tule Elk and Sheep
CO - everything
ID - depending on earlier draws, but always in on Super Tags
KS - bought. Point for deer last year, will hunt 2019 or 2020
MT - been buying points for deer, elk, and Pronghorn. Just can’t seem to make myself buy Sheep points, but do put it on the raffle tags
NM - put in for 3-4 species per year, have drawn tags 3 years in a row
NV - tags or points for everything, raffle/silver state tags
Oregon - I have bought raffle tags, but not every year
SD - Pronghorn and Deer points so far, probably be hunting there the next couple years
Utah - apply for everything
WY - Deer, elk, and Pronghorn. Need to be applying for Mountain Goats, but haven’t got around to it
Texas - it’s my home state and have been applying here longer than anywhere, and have never drawn a tag

In 2018, I burned a total of 2 points and drew 3 Pronghorn Tags and one CO Mule Deer (2 points). I went 2 for 3 on Pronghorn and ate my mule deer tag, could have filled it, just didn’t find anything I was looking for.

Washington isn’t exactly welcoming for non-residents for applying. Some other places that some people may not think about would be applying for moose in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire.

Back