Ford Van Advice

np307

So I'm kicking around the idea of getting a ford e-series van and turning into a hunting rig. I am, of course, also looking at other options, but that's not what I want advice about. I specifically want some opinions on an e-series van. I'm from NC so I don't have a lot of experience with the roads out West in hunting territory, so I'm hoping y'all might be able to shed some light on this.

1) would a 2wd with locking read axle be enough to get around on forest service roads? I'm not talking about serious offroading, but the kinds of places necessary to go find elk.

2) how difficult of a job would it be to swap the standard rear end for a locker? I've replaced an axle before on a toyota truck that I had, and I've done a fair amount of shade tree wrench turning, but my abilities stop dead short if we're talking about welding or fabricating anything.

3) any years or specific problems that you know of to look out for on these things? My experience with them has just been driving them as church vans. Never really shopped for one before.

I can't answer all of your questions but I put an Eaton E-Locker in my Ford truck and it has been great. It dropped right in and I replaced some bearings and fluid while I had it torn apart. I'd recommend them as far as lockers go.20181123_141920.jpg

You'd be fine, as long as it doesn't rain or snow. Here in Montana, most back roads, when wet, even with 4x4, it is an experience driving on them. The mud just seems to pack up on the tires, and as for the snow, where I go most times, the snow is bumper deep at times and at times I have to throw my chains on, and that is with an aftermarket locker in the rear end of my truck. If you're smart and use some common sense, I think you'd be fine, but the van choice might limit your choices in locations to hunt.

stay away from powerstokes and the 5.4 triton and 6.8 triton on the early years of the bad spark plug design,i think prier to 2005 on the tritons,,good luck,,if you can find a older one with the fuel injected 300 inline 6,,that would be my pick.they go forever.

I can't give you much specific advice. A locker goes a long way from 4x2 to 4x4 (more than half-way I'd say). That said, I went back and forth for years cchanging vehicles and I eventually settled on a regular ole 4x4 truck. To me it is the right tool for the job -- everything else is a compromise. If you're willing to compromise (for money or mpg or whatever) then go for it. I still sometimes think I'll go back to a beater Subaru but given that I've got everything setup already there isn't much reason to.

I have been dreaming of an "adventure van" for years to carry dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and as a hunting rig. I have looked at just about everything under the sun and was surprised to see that GM did make a number of full-size vans with AWD. I know you asked directly about Fords, but the Chevy is an option. I ulitmately picked up a medium roof tranist and will have the 4x4 conversion performed in February. I couldnt be more excited.

I have been dreaming of an "adventure van" for years to carry dirt bikes, mountain bikes, and as a hunting rig. I have looked at just about everything under the sun and was surprised to see that GM did make a number of full-size vans with AWD. I know you asked directly about Fords, but the Chevy is an option. I ulitmately picked up a medium roof tranist and will have the 4x4 conversion performed in February. I couldnt be more excited.

From Quigley website: Quigley is suspending 4x4 conversions on Ford Transit Used/Pre-owned as of October 1, 2017. Please contact one of our sales staff for further details.

From Quigley website: Quigley is suspending 4x4 conversions on Ford Transit Used/Pre-owned as of October 1, 2017. Please contact one of our sales staff for further details.

Quigley can be a giant pain in the butt to work with so I decided to go with Quadvan in Washington, but I appreciate you looking out for us.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntND90
Back