First time Arizona Archery Deer Partners - Jan 2019

FredoTwoWheels

Hello, I live in Los Angeles and was thinking of going on my first mule deer hunt in Arizona, but honestly I don't know if I have the right gear and experience enough to go it alone. I was thinking that if anyone is headed out that way that I could learn a bit from, I could help them with glassing and packing. Maybe even buy a tag and see about landing a buck myself if possible. I am 30 years old and pretty fit. I have been whitetail hunting for about 6 years or so, but only been on two western hunts, neither of which I saw anything on, but not from lack of effort.

Things I have:

-Mathews Halon 6 (Comfortable shooting to ~50yards)
-Vortex Binos and Rangefinder
-Kifaru pack
-Tent and sleeping bag

Things I don't have:

-Coolers
-Spotting Scope
-Location knowledge
-Spot and Stalk experience

I figure if I get in on a trip out there with someone who has room in their coolers, I will buy a tag, but if not I will just go for the experience. I could meet up around LA or meet someone out there. If anyone is interested, send me a DM, thanks!

I plan on getting to AZ for OTC tag mule deer this year too. Don't worry about not having extra coolers as long as you have your food cooler. If temps are under 60 or so and you can drive the animal straight to your butcher I haven't had a problem with 4 or 5 hour drives with carcass on a tarp in my jeep. I do bring a few extra frozen 1 gallon water bottles in my food cooler that I put into the body cavity when I haul it whole. If I quarter it up then I just stack them around the water bottles. I do keep bundled up and drive with A/c on full blast when temps are at that upper end. I have hauled several dozen animals that way without a problem. Since I hunt with a jeep I don't want or need a giant cooler taking up room but occasionally I get a juicy one and it puddles blood in the bottom of my jeep as tarps get holes quick. Oh well, its hunting. August antelope hunts even worked out fine that way you just have to pay attention to moving your frozen water bottles around and don't leave them sitting where your vehicle has hot spots like over the muffler for my jeep. Haven't lost a carcass yet and they all tasted fine. Others that have been doing this longer than I have probably have better methods than me but I'm new enough I know I have lots to learn. If your bow hunting then get a tag if your in the field. You never know when one will be walking right by or you have perfect wind to just walk right up to 40 yards and shoot down the ridge at them.
Arizona has some great writeups on their website of where to start and how to go about it. I rarely take out my spotting scope for deer but then again I don't have any monsters on my wall either.
PM me if you don't find somebody closer willing to go with you. Good luck and happing hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back