Caribou Gear Tarp

Any Other 6.5x55 reloaders Out There

Those heavy bullets would be pretty good, as long as the range was close. The 160 has always had a good rep in the 6.5x55. I doubt that it will do anything that the 140 won't and the 140 will stretch out a little easier. I would try them to see how your rifles like them at least.

I've wondered about the 154 and 160 gr bullet's in it. Easy choice to make for me, nobody in the state of Oregon carry's them I don't think! I like to dedicate a bullet to a cartridge but in my 6.5x55 I bounce back and forth from the 129gr Hornady to the 140gr speer Hot Core! Wonder if modern rifles have the twist to handle the heavy bullet's? Mine is a mod 70 Feather weight and I haven't a clue what the twist is!

I've wondered about the 154 and 160 gr bullet's in it. Easy choice to make for me, nobody in the state of Oregon carry's them I don't think! I like to dedicate a bullet to a cartridge but in my 6.5x55 I bounce back and forth from the 129gr Hornady to the 140gr speer Hot Core! Wonder if modern rifles have the twist to handle the heavy bullet's? Mine is a mod 70 Feather weight and I haven't a clue what the twist is!

Hi Don,
I searched the Winchester web site and the past production feather weight Model 70 Stainless showed 1-8 twist in 6.5x55 Swede. There doesn't seem to be a current chambering for a feather weight Hope this helps.

Dan

I have no experience with bullets that heavy in a 6.5, but if your barrel will stabilize then, I would not hesitate to use them.

I've got the Featherweight also and love it. I have some 160 Woodleighs?? but get such good performance out of the 140 partition and accubond I've never tried them. RL 26 making some noise in the Swede but I have yet to work up a load. RL 22 under the partition is my go to now.
HD

I have wondered the same thing but never have tried it. My howa has the 1-8 twist and I think it would stabilize it fine but the loss in velocity would worry me. I’m shooting 143 eldx rl22 out of 22” barrel and 2700 FPS. The old military rifles built for those pills have up to 30” barrels and could get decent FPS loaded at lower pressure from what I understand. It’s a shame the manufacturers of the large powder capacity 6.5s didn’t put a faster twist rate and make a market for heavier bullets.

1-8” was sufficient for Sierra’s 155 MK and I think fir Berger’s prototype as well. Most of the heavier 6.5s are blunt, so I would guess that a 1-8” twist will be no problem at all.

Hi Guys,
Just picked up on this thread. I’ve been a real 6.5x55 fan and although my T3 will run 156gr it is hard to get them to perform beyond 200yards. My go to is 140gr and has accounted for some big red deer (our smaller elk) out to good distances. I shoot a Tikka T3 and struggled with the 20” barrel to get good ballistics but found RL17 to work a treat and pushed them out easily to 2750fps which did the job. Also shoot 120gr for small deer and red foxes. Great to hear that it’s gaining popularity over with you as it’s a sweet round.

BE

Hi Don,
I searched the Winchester web site and the past production feather weight Model 70 Stainless showed 1-8 twist in 6.5x55 Swede. There doesn't seem to be a current chambering for a feather weight Hope this helps.

Dan

Well then I'd think it would handle the 160gr bullet's alright. Had my eye on the 156gr Norma for awhile but have to be bought mail order here.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back