Alaska earthquake

Dave N

Our friends in Willow told us about the big 7.0 quake this morning. They are fine, just a few broken things, but I know there are several folks on here in the Anchorage area. Hope everything is well with all of you. I'll be keeping up on the damage reports.

On a lighter note, YOU COULDN'T WAIT 3 WEEKS UNTIL I GOT UP THERE? Never experienced a quake, missed all of the ones here for one reason or another. Hopefully all of the damaged roads and bridges will be cleared up soon. Hard to get in and out of Anchorage with the highway closed down! Not many options.

Last edited:
Latest news I saw showed traffic detouring through Eagle River because of bridge damage. Bambistew is right in the middle of that stuff. A road in Wasilla has a section that is gone. Bearfoot is somewhere in that area as well as Sheep man, who hasn't been on for a while. We met him and his wife a few years ago. I'm sure these folks have more important things going on than checking in here, but I hope that they will give a shout out if they get a chance. I hope all is well! Lots of aftershocks happening. And now snow is on the way.

I Checked in with my brother in Anchorage, there good was the word ,? he owns 2 homes right near the downtown area after seeing some of the pics , I was worried his homes might be damaged , he flys helicopters for the military, he gave me the thumbs up , said he was prepared in case of something like this , hope others up there are good as well

The liquor stores took the brunt of it... most lost the first 2 rows of bottles.

Roads will all be open for the most part by tomorrow they say. Things are pretty much back to normal, minus a few closures of schools and businesses. Many ceiling grids were damaged and a few minor structural issues.

I had one sheep mount fall off the wall, and just about lost our 40gal fishtank. Power was out temporarily, but that's about it.

My office sustained some minor structural damages, and after just moving in 2 months ago, I get to move out for a couple months.

Could have been far worse.

I saw the railroad was shut down Northbound with the tracks messed up by Nancy Lake. Getting that repaired soon? That's a biggie.

The liquor stores took the brunt of it... most lost the first 2 rows of bottles.

As we approach the Solstice, this could be catastrophic.

Just arrived back to Alaska. Missed the shaker. As the quake began, my son reports, he was washing his three year old, hands at the sink, when things began to move. He covered his kid as dishes and cups fell and broke. My youngest, in her home, with her first baby girl, had glass shattering all around. Then the lights went out. Kyle turned on the I-phone light and went to his front door. Car and home alarms singing away, across the land. His water was dirty for a few days. My youngest had to have her well drilled deeper, seems the water table dropped, at her home. I lost a bottle of wine, cooking oil. Need to pick up many things that fell off the wall and shelves, but over all life is good. I've got to check on other properties this week.
Driving from Ancohrage to Wasilla tonight, road work, rebuild is 24/7. Alaskans getting after it!

A few quake pictures from my feed.

quake 1.jpgquake 2.jpgquake 3.jpg

quake 7.jpg

A prided mount fallen.
quake 6.jpg

Attachments

• quake 5.jpg
    quake 5.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 153
Thanks, BearFoot! A couple pictures I hadn't seen yet. Glad you and yours are good. We'll get to see the repairs done and what's been left when we get up there for Christmas.

It’s crazy what an earthquake can do to the earth and just rip and wreck stuff, I remember growing up there seemed like we would have one every year at some point . Scary stuff

I talked to the wife right after it happened and it was full panic mode. We seemed to have faired pretty well, seems to be some minor cosmetic damage to the house, and some broken tvs and trinkets. I'll be home for R&R in 32 days from my contract job, so I have quite a bit of work to do patching cracks in the drywall. My wife's sister and her husband are coming for Christmas, so he has promised to fix what he can. My garage heater no longer works, so I have to get someone to look at it and see if it needs repaired or have to get an all new one.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back