Caribou Gear Tarp

Government Waste: Mustangs

They should kill them and use them for Dog food. I would buy the dog food for my dogs.

If the preservation people are insistent they are "Wild" horses instead of just feral horses, it may be time to agree , and turn them over to Fish and game to manage. Sell tags to harvest, any manor kill or capture. They could match estimated caring capacity with harvest limits in an area. As well as sex/age class. Fish and Game makes money to support all wildlife, and the numbers are controlled.
Need to allow sales after the fact unlike "wildlife" restrictions, reopen the horse slaughter houses, allow export of the meat.

Last edited:
^ I like the pragmatic approach but I think you would have a rough time selling that to New Jersey cat ladies.

If you thought the fight to delist grizz is difficult just image was USHS would do to stop a horse hunt.

They could call it "Federal Dog Food"

If it was cheap. I would buy it.

Also, I prefer that they grind the bones back into it too. It makes the dog turds (Which turn white from ground bone being added by the way) easier to spot in the yard. This would keep me from accidentally stepping in my Labs pile on the way to the mailbox...

They're frikken delish.

Sell tags, like affordable alternatives to elk tags.

Limit 3 per season

Why not just establish a National Feral Horse Preserve to preserve the cultural or whatever significance feral horses represent, and confine feral horses to that? An Assateague of the West, so to speak. Make a couple of them if we must. Not unprecedented obviously. Outside of that, they are livestock at large and should be removed to reduce impacts to native wildlife.

Why not just establish a National Feral Horse Preserve to preserve the cultural or whatever significance feral horses represent, and confine feral horses to that? An Assateague of the West, so to speak. Make a couple of them if we must. Not unprecedented obviously. Outside of that, they are livestock at large and should be removed to reduce impacts to native wildlife.

It was talked about. Apparently there was more important legislation to shove through at the time, and it got lost in the shuffle.
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/08/us/08horses.html

Rinella has an excellent podcast on feral/wild horses explaining a lot of the how-we-got-here recent history and legal definitions. You'd have to go back a ways in his MeatEater podcasts. His and Randy's are at the top of my podcast app, BTW. I highly recommend it for being able to speak intelligently about such a head-slapping issue. Can't believe the way they're currently (mis)managed. Talk about TMD, Too Much Disney, being the overriding theme to their management. A lot of it stems from the federal legislation language in the Wild Horse and Burro Act. If congress ever gets the stones to change that, much could be done better. Until then, many hands are tied.

Back