Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mule Deer Taxidermy / Mounts?

Bugle 'Em In

Hey gang...

I was lucky enough to cut my tag on a pretty solid mule deer this fall. I'm trying to decide what pose to forever capture the critter in, but am struggling.
I was hoping that you guys may be willing to share any good looking mounts of mule deer that you may have or have seen. Thanks for your time and any ideas you will share.

Here is one I'm liking so far:

Attachments

• Mule Deer Mount.jpg
    Mule Deer Mount.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 798
Here is mine from this year. A modified Whitetail form with a Mule deer head. Gonna mount it this week. Ed F

Attachments

• Mule deer.jpg
    Mule deer.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 643
I think a lot depends on the location which you are planning to hang the mount. I like the head down in a sneak position, but would not work well in a hallway or other location where distance from the wall is an issue. JEL's mount would be better suited for a location with a lot of foot traffic or an area where space is an issue.

I use three different strategies for picking a mount. #1 would be the position that reminds me about the particular hunt. #2 would be a position that best shows off the animal (more useful on non-typicals). #3 would be how the mount would look in a particular spot on the wall if I have one picked out. Ideally, a mount would be optimized in all three but that doesn't always happen.

I went with a similar form for my last deer. I'm a big fan of the wall pedestal mounts.

20181130_174555.jpg

20181130_174549.jpg

IMG_20181202_191738.jpg
IMG_20181202_191802.jpg
IMG_20181202_191819.jpg

Here is a little different take on a pedestal mount. This is a unique deer and a pedestal really showcase's him well. I have posted this pic in another site previously so I apologize if you have seen it before.

Kenton gives good advice. I like the sneak as well as the upright turned looks. I think ear position is important for them to look natural. It always makes me feel like they're keeping track of their six. Here are my last two. It wasn't planned but I think they work well together.

20170413_211520.jpg

Last edited:
I think this is considered the semi-sneak pose. I also chose have his right ear in the forward position and head turned to his right to cover the chunk of antler missing from a deflected arrow. Someday when I have a man cave, I hope to have a mount on a raised panel pedestal.

Mule Deer Mount.jpg

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back