Landowner claims BLM is his private property

I concur wholeheartedly with your observation. Did you realize that in many instances the outfitter members of the BOO ask for a harsher penalty than do the bleeding heart members of the public that sit on the board?

tjones…. are you really that ignorant? Or just goading me into commenting to see if I lived thru the hunting season?

Nope, I just have read many of your post and figured what your response would be. I see you only addressed the outfitting without a license, not the fact Dale was claiming public land to be his private.

Last edited:
If a fake outfitter/landowner claiming public land as private is nit picking then yes.

it'd be a waste of your money...in my condition I'd most likely not even make the climb into the cage

It also makes it tough for Wardens, they aren't surveyors and get stuck in the middle on these kind of deals. If you are confident you know where you are, tell them to bring a copy of their survey and the nearest law enforcement or get the heck away from you.

Agreed!

Land owners have had the upper hand and the GPS has leveled the playing field. If landowners want to have less issues in areas where there's problems, post the actual property boundaries. But that would give people an exact boundary and that has been left to the wind to figure out where that is or was, even for good map readers. Most have error-ed on the side of caution as to not trespass. Now that is out the window and the mapping software can pinpoint property lines. It basically has shrunk what has been perceived to be their land for a long period of time. That is, in the all to overused term, a game changer. Looking at it from their perspective, that has to be extremely frustrating. Not giving them a pass, but there's something being taken away from them and that's control of information. The control to know boundaries is no longer up to them to tell you and for you to trust them. You now know and can tell them and can verify that to a very small degree of error. The cat is out of the crock pot and the hunter is no longer having the wool long johns that are scratching and irritating his supple white hide pulled over his skull cavity. The mapping software will continue to encroach on many ranches and landowners and it will be interesting to see how a portion of the population who doesn't adjust well to change or lack of control deals with the free for all of sharing information on their property borders, where nr are telling the landowners where their properties boundaries are that have been in the family for generations. I know how I'd feel about that, but wouldn't also try to bamboozle people either. Poop in your pants enough and someone is eventually going to see the stain or catch a whiff of your crap.

Sat in on a Game and Fish public advisory meeting last week and one landowner was displeased because everyone "has that OnX Maps and they know exactly where they are". A Game and Fish employee asked isn't it a good thing that they know where they are to which the landowner responded no because they know where they can hunt FS land next to his place. I had to avoid bursting out laughing.

That right there is hysterical

Landowners are having nothing taken away from them.

A lot of big Landowners have bamboozled the public for years on where the boundaries are at to intentionally keep people from enjoying the public lands that we all call our own for their own personal benefit. A bigger factor here that a lot of us forget is that in the process a lot of them have made a handsome living off of using those properties that are now being accessed by sportsmen.....

OnXmaps is potentially the biggest success story of modern hunting times for opening up access to new lands. Thank god for the digital age. I'm not saying it is perfect but it has opened up many new doors for sportsmen.

They've totally had the rug pulled out from under them with onx and I enjoy the knowledge and transparency it provides.

The deck is no longer one sided and tipped in their favor, that's what they've lost.

Sadly I think a lot of landowners aren't truly aware of their exact boundaries, especially those cases where the land has been passed down over the generations. The property boundary may have effectively been a fence line their whole lives, whereas the legal boundary could be significantly off that fence line. There are certainly landowners who knowingly try to buffalo hunters off of "their" land, but I've ran into others who were truly surprised to learn what they thought was a boundary or their land really wasn't. Although just as its a hunter's responsibility to know where they are it should also be a ranchers/landowners responsibility to know as well, I can see how these false perceptions can perpetuate over time when you've grown up on the land.

ONXMaps isn't always right so I might hear out the landowner before you go throwing blows. Land ownership can be complicated.

I concur wholeheartedly with your observation. Did you realize that in many instances the outfitter members of the BOO ask for a harsher penalty than do the bleeding heart members of the public that sit on the board?

I did realize that. However, I was not parsing out members, merely making an observation. Hell, an outfitter in Rosebud County can get caught trespassing on a BMA WHILE he’s on probation, and nothing is done. Dated occurrence, but only one of many I’ve witnessed.

" That being said the fish and game made a mistake around the time of the draw and sent all those that applied for the bow tag a 700 rifle either sex tag followed up with a letter a few days later telling those the trash the tag."

The punishments for wrongful claiming land rights should mirror those for trespass and be enforced just as vigorously but local LE, but we know that isn’t going to happen in the west.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back