Spotting scope size

Southern Elk

I’m looking to buy a nice spotting scope and can’t decide what size to get. What is everyone’s preference between 65mm and 85mm? It would be used mostly for elk, deer, and antelope. Is there enough of an increase in performance to justify the weight difference (about a pound)?

If you are going to pack it at any distance at all, then the 60 or 65 mm is the way to go. If you only glass from your truck then bigger is betterer.

Consider that a minimal tripod is going to be proportionally larger for a larger scope too. More weight to carry, more bulk.

The responses so far pretty well sum up opinions on the matter. You need to decide what's most important to you: saving a pound or three, or being able to see every minor detail for a couple miles plus. If money weren't an object I would have a Swaro 95 and a Kowa 55, and use them for whatever the specific hunt dictated. Currently I have a 65 and it's sufficient for my uses. Anything heavier and I wouldn't be able to use my Outdoorsmans pistol grip very effectively.

I will probably waffle on this for the rest of my life. For me an alpha HD in 65 is a good compromise as a guy who does count antler inches, but only sometimes, and covers a lot of ground in the mountains. As a primary spotter I'd go up if anything; I've never had alpha glass over 65mm, I'm afraid what would happen if I demo one :)

I'd have to ask Blake to come over and carry it around for me I guess, ha

Nikon ed 50,or the small vortex for any long distance hiking,,ive got a vortex 85 for long range antelope when its more of a cruise around option,,ive also got a 65 vortex and its not bad for long range,but not as much detail as the 85mm,,both the 65 and 85 are not for hiking in like my ed -50

I'd have to ask Blake to come over and carry it around for me I guess, ha

If I was worried about the extra few pounds I figured I needed to ease up on the brews before season and lose it in my gut to make up for the weight. I carry my 95 everywhere I go and it works for me. I think you do just fine with your setup Snowy :)

I been using a 65 STS for everything. I have been looking at the 55MM Kowa recently though to save some weight

If I was worried about the extra few pounds I figured I needed to ease up on the brews before season and lose it in my gut to make up for the weight. I carry my 95 everywhere I go and it works for me. I think you do just fine with your setup Snowy :)
I'm just thinking how popular I'd be if I rolled up to a glassing knob with hunting buddies and pulled out a 95mm, ha. Speaking of brews, I could probably earn myself some in such a way.

I'm just thinking how popular I'd be if I rolled up to a glassing knob with hunting buddies and pulled out a 95mm, ha. Speaking of brews, I could probably earn myself some in such a way.

If I was on that knob and didn't have my 80 mm Zeiss, I would be up to trading a few brews for some eyeball time, but if it's back in there too far to carry my big scope, I won't be carrying the brew either. :)

Thanks for the input guys. I decided on a 65mm Vortex Razor HD. I think I need an all around model, since it will be packed in occasionally. I already have a small and large tripod for it.

65's are kind of like the 30-06. Definitely the one to get if you can only have one. I have a 50, a 65, and an 85. The 65 gets the least use out of all three. I'm either using a spotter only to quickly check something out from a distance (in which case I'm carrying the 50), or I'm doing some real thorough glassing (in which case I'm carrying the 85).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back