Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wilkes Brothers Lose Again!

Good on the groups that chased this down.

I truly wonder what the Wilks end game is. They were the major backers/push for the new trespass law in Idaho this year, while at the same time having a pile of the land they own for sale after owning it for just a couple years.

When the gov't gets around to suing these scumsuckers, will the court award treble damages on behalf of all landowners, and order restitution to the victims? That would be fun to watch, and could land a several million in the state wildlife coffers. That would make it worth the legal cost of pursuing it.

I truly wonder what the Wilks end game is. They were the major backers/push for the new trespass law in Idaho this year, while at the same time having a pile of the land they own for sale after owning it for just a couple years.
Imo To me it seems logical to - Buy land, remove public access, sell the exclusiveness.
Your own private Idaho

Good on the groups that chased this down.

I think their end game is only to make more money. I frequently work with a company who buys and sells buildings for investors. They will buy something and sit on it for a few years and sell it for more than what they paid. They might make slight improvements which could be anything from a new roof to new tenants - which makes the buildings more valuable.

I am not so sure that money is their primary motivation at this point. While I am sure its never not a consideration for them I think in these land deals its more of a " make the world Texas " policy they have and the money that comes from those actions are a by product.

Considering Giving Tuesday was just the other day, I might encourage y'all to tosh a couple of bones to the groups that fight for stuff like this. I know the Wilderness Society and Idaho Wildlife partnered on this one (along with I'm sure others). Even just a couple bucks helps with the research.

It's such a weird and obscure mindset to lust over money and power. I've never understood that and not sure I ever will.

After the bills are paid and some is put into the personal savings and some into the retirement account for the month, I feel content. Maybe that's why I'll never be a millionaire!

Did they lose? Sounds to me like it's still gated and nothing is going to be done until a law can be changed. Sounds to me like they are winning until that happens.

It's such a weird and obscure mindset to lust over money and power. I've never understood that and not sure I ever will.

After the bills are paid and some is put into the personal savings and some into the retirement account for the month, I feel content. Maybe that's why I'll never be a millionaire!

Guys like this have all they need, has nothing to do with being content. They are in a competition with themselves or other people in their same situation. Its not just about power and money, the money and power is a way for them to keep score, no different than the points at a football game.

You get to their point and you have no idea how the deck is stacked in their favor. I think they become numb to it, or at least not even cognitive of the fact.

Exactly Buzz! One of the most miserable people I ever was acquainted with was a millionaire several times over. He was never contented with anything. He loved to hunt, but I was turned off by the fact that he treated hunting like he treated his money. He eventually turned it into a competition and bragged constantly about X number of deer he'd killed or Y number of bears until even hunting failed to make him content. "Little" people mean nothing to most people like those in the Wilkes' shoes. They are just a way to gain a tax write-off in the form of "charity". They couldn't care any less, no matter the family traditions that were formed over the years with people hunting the land they shut off access to. I'm not saying all people of means are like this, but the world is full of Mortimer and Randolph Duke types;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjkdynBFHuQ

Good points Buzz...dough skews everything, especially the path to and behavior within a very competitive winners' circle.

Great work by Becca and Brian! However, if the Wilks push the issue, someone with deep pockets of cash will need to finance the lawsuit against them. I live in Boise County where the gate is located. The county is too poor to take on this issue.

Did they lose? Sounds to me like it's still gated and nothing is going to be done until a law can be changed. Sounds to me like they are winning until that happens.
I agree. It seems this thread is erroneously titled. As is the case time after time in Montana, the ultra wealthy who put up the gates continue to win at least temporarily, if not into the distant future, and prevent the public from accessing public lands. Even if the legality is in favor of the public, it takes years, sometimes decades, before it's settled and the public gets the access to public lands blocked off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back