Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO Elk - Thoughts on Options for NR Cashing In 13PP? - Unit 76, Unit 40, Unit 49?

crock239

Alright, so I know there's a lot of "how to spend points" posts....so I've done some homework to narrow the field a bit: :)

I'm a NR hunter, having hunted CO DIY elk successfully twice before on OTC archery tags--now I"m thinking I might try to cash in my 13PP soon since I'm not really wanting to wait another 12+ years to be able to hunt the "best" units.

Ideal hunt would be opportunity to see / hear / or chase elk with some feeling of limited hunting pressure with the goal of harvesting 6 pt or better bull.

Based of of 2018 Draw Results (2017 Bull Harvest %Success) info, it looks like these units might be options +/- a PP or so:

1st Rifle - Unit 49 (49% Harvest)or wait a couple years for Unit 76 (63% harvest)

2nd Rifle - Unit 76 (49% harvest)

3rd Rifle - Unit 40 (62% harvest), Unit 76 (46% harvest)

Muzzle -- Unit 49 (18% harvest)

Archery -- Unit 76 maybe if REALLY lucky or pt creep inexplicably goes backwards (41% harvest), Unit 40 (53% harvest)

Would be great to hear from anyone who may have hunted these units/hunts in the recent past and be willing to share some thoughts on general hunt experience / quality.

Unit 49 has only crept up ever year since I've been watching it. I haven't paid much attention to the others just a thought

Something to think about is that with the new Colorado tag system (I live in unit 43): local friends that I've talked to about PPs have predicted that more people will be collecting points and that hunts are going to start to cost more points soon (another reason simply being the popularity of elk hunting rising and the population rising generally as well). You've obviously got a great head start and definitely do more research before you take my word for it, but that's what some people who know more than I do suspect will happen.

My son had a unit 40 deer tag this year. I wanted to take a look at it for elk. I was not a fan of the private land issues. Yes, there are animals there and yes they are on and off public land depending on many factors, but watching animals on private waiting for them to jump a fence is not really my thing. I was there 2nd season. I'm sure by 3rd they are pushed even more onto private. I have close to the points you have. I'm looking at those other 2 units as well.

I really enjoy hunting Wilderness areas, so I’m a little biased, but I’d be locked on 49 or 76. Both areas should give you a really memorable elk hunting experience, so you can’t really lose. If I were in your shoes, the first season in 49 or the second in 76 would be tempting!

If you can't kill a decent bull in 49 during 1st rifle then you barely left the truck.Hunted it last year,and could have easily killed bulls with muzzleloader or rifle

Hunted 76 twice. Once I had the tag and once I helped two friends. Good hunt. Just depends what you are looking for as far as hunt type and bull quality. You should be able to find 6pt bulls.

Having grown up in Grand Junction and hunted unit 40 a lot I would not recommend unit 40 to any public land hunters that aren't local. Too much private and too difficult to attempt to figure out in a handful of days. You could always get lucky but 40 can be a frustrating and tough hunt on public land.

Unit 49 and 76 are classic elk country and will be a wild adventure regardless of whether you are successful. I'd go first rifle in either, personally. 49 if you want a chance at a really big bull, 76 for the better odds of killing an average to above average 6x6.

thanks to all for your thoughts and feedback. Definitely sounds like 76 or 49 would be my preference for hunt style and experience.

RE: 76 archery, as ishootdasmallones said NR w/ 13PP was 29% in 2017 and 17% in 2018....hence my original comment that to draw 76 archery in 2019 on 13PP would have to be REALLY lucky or pt creep would have to level off -- not likely.

If your expecting big bulls,320+, you'll be hunting very very hard to find that in 49.Plenty of bulls and elk but I wouldn't say it's a trophy quality unit.And it does get hunted pretty hard.For a big bull, I'd go for a muzzleloader tag.I wouldn't pass any 280-300" bull in there unless you live close enough to scout ALOT before season.

Crock,

Since you have helped me pack one off the mountain a few years back I will return the favor.

Of course mine was 1/4 mile to the quad trail - so if you can fill your tag close to a main road even better ��

Of course mine was 1/4 mile to the quad trail - so if you can fill your tag close to a main road even better ��

It's like shooting a moose in a spot where you can't get a tractor and a flatbed trailer… "If I can't get a quad to it, I don't even shoot anymore." :rolleyes:

Thanks all for your thoughts and feedback. After talking w CO DOW warden/bios and some outfitters, and considering likelihood of better weather, chance to be around bugling bulls, etc. decided to put in for Unit 49 muzzleloader....and as a major bonus my nephew applied for a youth ML cow tag too.... based on PP and draw history both of us "should" draw. Hope so, would be a fun. Will post update after results come out.

Should be an awesome hunt keep us posted! Gohunt says you'll draw with 12, so 13 shouldnt be an issue. Cool about your nephew getting a cow tag, sure does add to the experience you'll never forget!

Good luck on your hunt. I am in a similar situation and want to get out of the point chasing game in Colorado. One thing to keep in mind on the CO harvest stats, they are meaningless... especially on a limited tag hunt like you are trying for.

crock239,
Hoping to be there "with you" in unit 49 this fall. A friend of mine and I have 12 points and are trying for the same tag.

Get hold of me if you draw muzzleloader tag.I can put you on some great areas where you can just roadside camp and be in elk right away

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back