Caribou Gear

Company’s deserving of my money?

Willywonka

I hope this haven’t been beaten to death but looking for input on company’s that are for the public lands and hunting! I currently have a bunch of first lite hunting clothing for hunting and I’m hoping to do my first backpack hunt next fall that being said I’m wondering what companies are better to support over others for everyday gear and camping gear that also support public lands and hunting. (I.e. the north face, Patagonia, under armor, rei, so on and so on) I have done some looking and from the things I found it kinda clear as mud!

I have wondered the same thing. I have tried to look this up and never found any true answers. I do know from listening to many podcasts that of your list of companies that under armour supports hunting, Patagonia supports public lands but apposes hunting. If memory serves me correctly jetboil apposes hunting or there was some reason like that on why I don't buy their products.

Got and Email from TRCP the other day that read:
This Cyber Monday, as you look for that perfect gift for the hunter or angler in your life, consider supporting conservation-minded businesses. The following companies help the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership in our efforts to unite the entire sportsmen's community, improve habitat and water quality, and keep public lands accessible and well-managed.

Companies listed included: Bass Pro Shops, Browning, Carhartt, Coca-Cola, Costa, Filson, First Lite, HydraPak, Kimber, Leupold, Mountain Khakis, Mystery Ranch, Nemo, OnX, Orvis, Patagonia, Peak Design, Pure Fishing, REI, Sage, Simms, Sitka, The High Lonesome Ranch, Vista Outdoors, Yamaha, and Yeti.

Got another one from BHA that reads:
When it comes to holiday shopping for those who hunt, fish and explore our public lands there are many retailers and brands to choose from. Buying gear from companies that are active in conservation efforts across North America provide you with a twofold return. You get the products you and your loved ones want, and you help select businesses invest resources in our backcountry.

As you wade through the holiday shopping season, consider supporting brands that support public lands, waters and wildlife. We know that’s sometimes easier said than done, so we’ve compiled a list of the brands that are actively supporting BHA and our work.

Companies include: Platinum partners (Federal Ammunition, Filson, First Lite, Global Rescue, goHunt, Kimber, Leupold, MTN OPS, onX, Seek Outside, Sitka, Under Armour, Vortex, Yeti) Gold partners (Benchmade, Camp Chef, New Belgium, Orvis, Prime, Rep Your Water, Traeger Grills, Victory Archery, Weatherby, Weston Supply Co, Wilderness Athlete) Silver partners (ALPS Outdoorz, Black Coffee Roasting, Cooper Firearms, Danner, Elk Valley Bighorn Outfitters, Hilleberg, Kettlehouse Brewing Co, SAGE, Stone Glacier, Traditional Bowhunter) Bronze partners (Alpacka Raft, Fish Pond, Hunt to Eat, Maven, Mystery Ranch, Paladin Custom Packs, Princeton Tec, Timber to Table, Wilderness Lite, WorldCast Anglers)

Can you cite this claim?
Yes, it was on the gritty Bowman podcast recently don't remember if it was ty or not but someone from bha. They were talking about companies that shared their beliefs about public lands. Patagonia was a company that supports public lands but not hunting and that they needed companies like them at the table when it comes to public lands. I don't know what episode it is but I will try to find it.

I think you’re confusing not supporting with opposing.

I have no dog in this fight and offer no judgement, but if I recall right, the criticisms resulted not so much from overt anti-hunting statements by Patagonia, but rather from objection to Patagonia's donations to organizations viewed as anti-, such as the Cascadia Wildlife org.

Companies that firmly support hunting do not include Patagonia.

They support public lands, that's certain though publicly broadcasting their support of hunting would dissolve support of their products by their compadres within Sierra Club, etc. In fact, it's a bit of tickle BHA and tickle Sierra Club, Defender's of Wildlife, etc... Fence Sitting Company... Example:
https://www.patagonia.com/actionworks/grantees/save-the-yellowstone-grizzly/

Patagonia is not one to support. Of course this is just one person's perspective. There are far too many publicly declared pro hunting great companies to support.

http://www.rmef.org/howtohelp/supportourpartners/corporatepartners.aspx

RMEF Corporate Partners play a key role in helping the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation accomplish our mission. Their vital support provides the RMEF and its volunteers with critical fundraising support and exposure opportunities that otherwise would not be available.

Read more about how these conservation-minded companies are supporting wildlife and wildlife habitat.

ALPS OutdoorZ Bass Pro Shops Bloodsport Boyt Harness Company Browning Browning Ammunition Buck Knives Bushnell Cabela’s Outdoor Fund Cabelas Caldwell Chevy Danner Davidsons Eberlestock Federal Premium Ammunition Gerber GoHunt Heritage Frames HuntingGPSmaps Kimber Les Schwab Tire Centers Leupold Mathews Montana Canvas Montana Decoy Mossy Oak MTN OPS

Last edited:
I support any company I feel like based on the quality of their product...and don't give a flying "f" what anyone else thinks about it.

I'm not going to purchase an inferior product because a company supports this or that...wont do it.

Nor will I not buy a quality product because a company makes a donation to a cause I don't agree with.

I buy the best quality product I can find and/or afford...period. If it just so happens that I buy from a company that supports some, all, or part of what I agree with...icing on the cake.

I support any company I feel like based on the quality of their product...and don't give a flying "f" what anyone else thinks about it.

I'm not going to purchase an inferior product because a company supports this or that...wont do it.

Nor will I not buy a quality product because a company makes a donation to a cause I don't agree with.

I buy the best quality product I can find and/or afford...period. If it just so happens that I buy from a company that supports some, all, or part of what I agree with...icing on the cake.

This x100. I’ve lost track of all the different companies I’m supposed to be boycotting.

I'm with the above, I'm gonna use what I'm gonna use based on performance and value.
That said, when I was more into ice climbing I started using a lot of NW Alpine gear when they were new to market. Turned out the owner was a long time hunter and all about it. Their gear is still excellent for backpacking, so to the OP, there's one that checks both boxes. Small company, all USA made.

I make a concerted effort to support the company’s that support hunting, public lands and the North America model of wildlife conservation. From that list I pretty much find anything I need and highest quality I could want.

The irony... Share an opinion about not giving an F about clothing and gear company's that support public lands and hunting...

The intent of the opening post's query. Who said anything about supporting inferior products?
Carry on... ;)

Last edited:
Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back