Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

What size grinder?

3/4 HP is more than sufficient. I firmly believe that it would kill you if you were not careful lol.

I have a Cabelas 3/4 hp grinder (pre Carnivore series model). I've used it on elk and moose, it's a good compromise on size, weight, lbs / min, etc. I don't feel I'm missing out by not having a 1 hp but doubt I'd want to drop to a 1/2 hp.

For occasional sausage making, using a grinder as a stuffer works ok. Having the foot pedal switch would definitely help. If you get into sausage making on a more frequent basis, the stuffers make life so much more enjoyable.

I recommend a minimum of 1 hp. We use the cabelas carnivore 1hp for grinding and have the large meat mixing attachment for mixing sausage ingredients. Incrimentally it’s not that much more expensive and why overwork a smaller motor.
Plus, you can never have too much HP. :)

Just bought a 3/4 LEM over black friday, I believe they still have a discount. I was looking at Weston as well and they had a sale going too, not sure if they still do. I was using a cheap $100 model before so I'm sure this will work just fine.

Buy the biggest you possibly can the first time. There is no substitution for a grinder with a big throat and grind plate. I struggled with small grinders for years before upgrading to a 1hp cabelas and now also have the 1 3/4 HP cabelas. I also have the mixing bin attachment and the 30lb vertical stuffer. The good stuff is expensive, yes, but if you are going to hunt your whole life and process your own stuff it pays for itself in a hurry, especially when you see what it costs for a processor to make sausage, summer sausage/salami, jerky, etc..

We bought #32 grinder from lem and put a 1HP motor on it. I would advise on getting the biggest grinder and motor your budget allows it will definitely pay off in the long run. We do not use it to stuff sausage we use a double geared stuffer from cabelas for that.

I just noticed that the Cabelas Carnivore grinders have a 20% off when added to cart. Not sure how long that'll last but a 1hp grinder is down to $399 shipped which is about as cheap as they get. If you have a Bass Pro or Cabelas card they throw in an extra 10% rewards. I'd be tempted to get one myself if I were a more successful hunter...hell maybe I can convince my dad that he needs one and they make a switch when he's not looking

I just noticed that the Cabelas Carnivore grinders have a 20% off when added to cart. Not sure how long that'll last but a 1hp grinder is down to $399 shipped which is about as cheap as they get. If you have a Bass Pro or Cabelas card they throw in an extra 10% rewards. I'd be tempted to get one myself if I were a more successful hunter...hell maybe I can convince my dad that he needs one and they make a switch when he's not looking

That's a damn good deal if you have a Club card! $360 instead of $500.

I’ve got the cabelas 1hp also and love it. Eats partially frozen meat and fat with ease. I’ve had it for 10-12 years and it’s ground a lot of meat.

We already had the kitchenaid commercial mixer 1.5 hp I believe. Got the meat grinder/sausage stuffer attatchment for around $80 this year and I was very pleased with it. Mixed chilled hard cheese, jalapeno, bacon and mostly frozen deer and and it worked perfectly 2 grinds and had excellent burgers. Haven't used the sausage stuffer tube yet but seems to be pretty straightforward.

Do the higher end grinders get clogged with silverskin like my cheap one?
I've thought about upgrading for just this reason.

Do the higher end grinders get clogged with silverskin like my cheap one?
I've thought about upgrading for just this reason.

If you're not trimming at least some of that off you can get silverskin stuck in the grinder plate but it definitely doesn't bog them down like those cheap machines. In my opinion, if you take a few minutes and trim some of that stuff off it makes for a better product in the long run.

Bought a 1hp power table top grinder from Cabelas awhile back. It replaced a stand alone Hobart that was way to big for me.
The 1 hp with a 22 neck is big enough to do anything I will ever need. If in doubt go bigger

My 1 3/4 hp Cabelas big-a$$ed grinder will flat grind elk trimmings quickly and smoothly. After a couple years it had a minor electrical problem, so Cabelas replaced it with the same model, which was priced higher than the original bought on sale ... but no questions asked. Thus I recommend Cabelas.

I bought the Cabelas 1 hp grinder because of the reverse feature. I typically process anywhere from two to six deer a year. It gets a workout but hasn't let me down yet!

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back