Yeti GOBOX Collection

Future of Elk in Southwest Colorado in Jeopardy?

I'm sure a lot of folks know this, but I didn't. I found it somewhat disturbing, but not really surprised.

"Colorado Parks and Wildlife's regulations and policies are set by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission, an 11-person committee appointed by the governor that draws people from varying interests.

But many, like Petersen and Parkinson, say the commission is too heavy with people representing agriculture and industry interests, which more often than not, butt heads with wildlife interests.

And also more often than not, wildlife comes out on the losing end.

"CPW has always been cowed and bullied by ranchers and farmers who detest wildlife," Petersen said. "For any real progress, we need to pull the wildlife commission out of the political arena. And that may need to be done through legislation."

Of the 11-person commission, three people represent agriculture and two people represent industry interests. Two people sit on the board for the interests of the outfitting industry and one represents sportsmen.

Don Brown, Colorado's commissioner of agriculture, also sits on the board, though he is not voting member.

There are no wildlife biologists, ecologists or experts on the board tasked with managing wildlife in the state."

I'm curious how much weight CBA opinion goes in the commission.

I also write often.

Well, to answer your question, most of the time the commission adopts staff preferred alternatives. That said, being there frequently matters. On e-16, I have gotten call backs from 7 commissioners. Not sure, but having a personal relationship does matter and they do listen. Ask me after the January meeting.

This article has circulated pretty well since the Durango Herald released it last month, so it will be interesting to see if it affects hunter numbers this fall, though I doubt it.

"In the last six to eight years, we've tried to go back into the population growth phase," Wait said. "But we are struggling getting the population of elk to grow again."

The number of rifle cow elk tags has been decreased, and the cost of out-of-state bear tags has been decreased to possibly help address this issue? However, the OTC hunts will go forward this year unchanged. Same general dates, unlimited without caps, either sex archery. The State is too dependent on that revenue. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years in the Southwest. Will elk hunters stop flocking here when success rates plummet and experience diminishes? I do think the article should have sourced much more from CPW officials rather than local author David Peterson. Even though I do value his opinion as a local hunter and wildlife advocate (and I enjoyed his book Ghost Grizzlies), he sure was quoted a lot.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back