Pack suggestions

Aussie_hunter_JD

G'day,

Just back from a backpacking trip and have come to the realisation i need a new pack. I was using a markhor pack which is definitely a great pack but it doesn't have an external frame and to pack out meat i needed to put in the main compartment. At the same time my brother kept his gear high and dry by externally carrying his on his MR metcalf.

He got that when the aussie dollar was good against the greenback and before we had a new international shopping tax loaded on us. I calculated getting one from the states at $925 aud. That's a kick in the scro for me and out of my means.

Curious as to other options similar but maybe slightly cheaper that enable you to squeeze meat between the frame and pack for carry outs. I'm tired of either carrying meat over my shoulders or getting my gear covered in blood with an internal system.

I'm becoming a believer in buy once cry once within reason, just upgraded my sleeping back and enjoyed a good nights sleep on our recent hunt!

I considered the second hand route but they don't really exist here as Australia has a culture of carrying meat over their shoulders or leaving it in the bush (no wanton waste laws unfortunately).

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.

I'd check out the Slumberjack Bounty pack. You can sometimes find them pretty cheap. I have an older version, and I like it.

What if one of us in the states got you a gift and shipped it to ya?

Watch CamoFire, Optics planet, and GoHunt for sales. Just missed out of MR Metcalf for $326 US for Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. The sales will come around again on New Years Eve (post-christmas sales), our Labor day and Memorial day and 4th of July. Also check into the classified section here. Im sure that someone here in the states would be happy to purchase and ship you one as a "gift" to avoid the 10% penalty.
-Brian

I know that Alps has a less expensive model that could get you the external frame you're wanting. It won't be MR quality, but should get the job done. I personally use an internal frame and just make sure I have a couple of trash compactor bags to keep everything separate.

Kuiu packs are very competitively priced BUT I'm not certain if they ship to Australia. I have a hunch they would but need do some digging on their website or talk to customer service to verify.

Kuiu packs are very competitively priced BUT I'm not certain if they ship to Australia. I have a hunch they would but need do some digging on their website or talk to customer service to verify.

Thanks mate, i did look into the icon but that was around $800 plus postage. My preference is for not camo too which is all they have at the moment.

My preference is Kifaru but it sounds like you want a different system for packing meat between the pack and frame. I've used and abused my Kifaru for years. They are super comfortable for 100 lb loads and you can customize with a large selection of bags, lid, accessories, etc. You might take a look at Stone Glacier. You can likely pick up an almost new one on Rokslide's classified section for reduced price. You may also get some great advice on their backpack forum. I would highly recommend either Kifaru or Stone Glacier for a once in a lifetime purchase.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back