Yeti GOBOX Collection

Selway Zone Question

ryansullivan

Just curious, has anyone or anyone you know killed an elk in the Selway Zone in the last few years? Im aware of the predator situation and lack of elk in there, but the challenge is still intriguing to me. Maybe I’m just dumb enough to want to try. Has anybody else thought about hunting in there? Let me know!

Either the Selway and The Frank really don't have elk or everybody is really putting on the best running lie since the moon landing ( I kid of course about the moon landing). I really really wanted to go hunt The Frank but all the negative talk about almost no elk number has really dried up my excitement for that hunt so I have started to look elsewhere. Not much of a help I know but the best of luck to you, if nothing else it would be taking your rifle on a really awesome hike.

I talked to a father and son this year that got a bull last year. I think the dad was still a bit unhappy about where the kid decided to shoot an elk. I don't think the country is elk-less but you'll work really hard for one and potentially find them in places that will make for truly miserable packing experiences.

Either the Selway and The Frank really don't have elk or everybody is really putting on the best running lie since the moon landing ( I kid of course about the moon landing). I really really wanted to go hunt The Frank but all the negative talk about almost no elk number has really dried up my excitement for that hunt so I have started to look elsewhere. Not much of a help I know but the best of luck to you, if nothing else it would be taking your rifle on a really awesome hike.

I’ve killed elk in the Frank and know others that have killed there. A little research and you can find elk.

I don’t know anyone who hunts the Selway.

We hunted the Selway for 5 seasons with some success. Packed in with horses and had some success. Some of the most beautiful and brutal country we have hunted. I would go back to camp but not to hunt elk... Elk density is just too low.

There are a lot of wolves in the Selway. One of the main reasons we didn't return. I think the elk have somewhat adapted to them now, but you will still work harder for an elk than a lot of other areas. Beautiful country

I spent a week on the Selway river this April near that first major bridge at Three Links Creek I think it is. I believe it was 15 or 20 miles up the river from the parking area at Race Creek. We were bear hunting but we saw elk almost every day we were there. Not a lot but enough to hunt. Several 5x5s that I probably would have shot but that country is brutal off trail. There was more wolf sign than elk sign that's for sure. Never saw a wolf but we did get close to a moose on accident. I don't know if I am tough enough to hunt it without horses to get me in there but I for sure would give it a try if there were a few other brave souls to go with. I don't think I would go that far back in by myself for fear of actually getting one and needing to pack it out.

I spent a week on the Selway river this April near that first major bridge at Three Links Creek I think it is. I believe it was 15 or 20 miles up the river from the parking area at Race Creek. We were bear hunting but we saw elk almost every day we were there. Not a lot but enough to hunt. Several 5x5s that I probably would have shot but that country is brutal off trail. There was more wolf sign than elk sign that's for sure. Never saw a wolf but we did get close to a moose on accident. I don't know if I am tough enough to hunt it without horses to get me in there but I for sure would give it a try if there were a few other brave souls to go with. I don't think I would go that far back in by myself for fear of actually getting one and needing to pack it out.

Did you end up getting a bear??

Personally saw 40 or so elk in 5 days of deer hunting split evenly between 17 and 27 this year, none of them quality bulls. Terribly difficult terrain, especially 17. Won't be going back to either unit without a summer backpacking trip to scout further in than I was able to get to. Heard no wolves, and saw no sign either, also saw no deer in 27 and only 1 forked horn muley in 17. It was much harder to glass 17 than 27, steeper more narrow drainages.

Take home messages: (1). There are elk there.
(2) I'm a terrible Idaho County deer hunter or I didn't spend enough time in each to find the deer probably both are true.

Last edited:
I hunted unit 26 in 2009 for elk on that early tag. Only found 1 group of cows in 6 days of hunting, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

We are younger and in pretty good physical condition. However, the country is just way too big to shoot anything small or even average sized. I wouldn't even be temped to shoot anything smaller/younger than a 5 year old bull. You would spend more days of your vacation packing meat than actually hunting. It's more brutal country than the White Clouds, Sawtooths, Boulders, Lemhi's and Lost River ranges, in my experience.

I am considering going back and flying into 20A or 26 in 2020. As mentioned above, the low density comments are spot on with my limited 1 trip there. The allure is that OTC rifle rut hunt with prime hunting dates (9/15 - 9/30) and the adventure factor. It's not known for great genetics, but I do feel the country is big enough and remote enough to produce 330+ bulls. You would probably need 10-14 days. I don't know if I'm tough enough, but I'd like to find out. If your just wanting to kill any elk or get meat, absolutely no need to go to the Selway or The Frank.

im sure couild make it happen talk to someone who has hunted it for 40 plus years and he goes like 20 miles back from nearst gravel road hes about 36 for 42 but he spends like month back there

I hunted unit 26 in 2009 for elk on that early tag. Only found 1 group of cows in 6 days of hunting, but I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

We are younger and in pretty good physical condition. However, the country is just way too big to shoot anything small or even average sized. I wouldn't even be temped to shoot anything smaller/younger than a 5 year old bull. You would spend more days of your vacation packing meat than actually hunting. It's more brutal country than the White Clouds, Sawtooths, Boulders, Lemhi's and Lost River ranges, in my experience.

I am considering going back and flying into 20A or 26 in 2020. As mentioned above, the low density comments are spot on with my limited 1 trip there. The allure is that OTC rifle rut hunt with prime hunting dates (9/15 - 9/30) and the adventure factor. It's not known for great genetics, but I do feel the country is big enough and remote enough to produce 330+ bulls. You would probably need 10-14 days. I don't know if I'm tough enough, but I'd like to find out. If your just wanting to kill any elk or get meat, absolutely no need to go to the Selway or The Frank.
I Just joined this forum and boy, you guys got my blood flowing talking about the Selway! I havent been there for many years but would go back in a second. Most beautiful and rugged country you can imagine. The first time I went there was in 1999 with 2 good friends. I was 26 at the time and in great shape and it almost killed us lol. We backpacked in about 12 -15 miles in unit 17 for the early rifle season and killed a 6x8 the 3rd morning. Greatest and toughest thing ive ever done. There were quite a few wolves back then too, but even most locals will tell you that the idaho side of the bitteroots are not game rich like the montana side of the bitteroot valley. Heck, Lewis and Clark nearly starved in the bitteroots. However, there are critters in that wilderness that never lay eyes on humans, and they get big. That was one of the reasons my research took me to that area. Here's a pic of my elk.Screenshot_2018-03-28-20-30-04.png

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back