Caribou Gear Tarp

Knife Improvement - Looking for input

1. What style of knife you currently use, and brand if you care to share?
I use single blade folders sometimes and fixed blades that often date to the mid 20th century, and occasionally some custom or modified versions of these.
Examples include the German company, Edge, the Finish Rapala, as well as American knives from Buck, Kershaw, etc. Some are clip points, some are drop points. I'm not so fussy. They all have nice smooth ovalish handles that feel good in my hand.

2. What you would like to see as upgrades to what you currently use?
Nothing in particular. I like them just fine.

3. Are you primarily and elk hunter or other big game?
mostly deer and antelope, but occasionally moose and elk

4. Do you mostly do the gutless method or do you do the traditional field dressing/gutting?
Both. Situation dependent.

The thing I do NOT like about current modern knives and especially the replaceable blade models, is that they resemble nothing that could ever be considered a family heirloom a century from now. I prefer tools that have some aesthetically pleasing form as well as function. I don't see that in modern hunting gear in general and knives in particular.

Falkniven H1 and a Outdoor Edge swingblade

Neither, the H1 is a beast and the vg10 steel is excellent and extremely durable, the swingblade is a finer blade and extremely sharp but i never use the rounded end gutting blade as have always done it with the traditional blade

Sambar deer, Fallow deer

4. Do you mostly do the gutless method or do you do the traditional field dressing/gutting?
traditional method

I am also curious how much of a factor the following might be to other hunters, given how they use a knife - weight, blade durability versus sharpening ease, size, folding versus fixed blade, and replaceable blade versus resharpenable blade. And, any other ideas you are seeking when buying a knife.
The H1 has excellent blade retention for gutting and cutting through thick dirty hides and knocking legs off deer, whipping backstraps out etc, the swingblade is basically a backup and for fiddly bits
I wouldnt mind a 5-6" blade model as i find that easier for harder to reach places etc
Both require a fairly hard stone for resharpening but that said i have never needed to resharpen in the field, always been able to touch up at home.

I seem to always have a havalon piranta with me. The two main reasons I like it are the light weight and the sharpness.

The other knives that I seem to rotate in and out of my pack are a buck mini alpha, benchmade steep country and a set of CRKT's that are small and skeletonized. I prefer a fixed blade that's relatively short, thick, and has some belly. Almost every one of my animals is done gutless. I also tend to like knives that sharpen fairly easily as I kinda stink at it. I'm not a big knife guy despite having a ton of them, I look at them as more of a tool than anything.

I used to carry and use a Ruanna with a 6 inch blade. It is the same shape as the current 20B model that has the 5 inch blade. I bought the 20 B for my Dad but it seemed I always did the gutting with mine so his is like new and stays home. The replacement price is currently $457.00 and the sentimental value is priceless. When I bought Dad's knife I think I paid less than $40.00 for it. Mine I paid $29.00 for and I was a teenager at the time. Yup been awhile lol.

I currently use a Gerber with a 5 inch fixed blade and a Gerber locking folder that has a gut hook and a semi skinner blade. I also carry a steel to touch up the blades in the field if needed. I also carry a t handle saw that has a double sided blade bone/wood. I have used it on Elk and Deer for 30 years. The saw could stand to have a bigger handle to make it more user friendly.

The replaceable blade knives are a cool idea but I think a good fixed or locking folder with good steel is just as good if you know how to sharpen it. Plus they are more durable and last longer. It seems any more models change and you have to buy the new improved model leaving the old style outdated and possibly worthless. I don't like that idea. One thing that is important is a bright colored handle so it's easier to find after you set it down. Also a good sheath is very important. For traditional blades a sharpening steel or stone is important.

Thanks for the chance to give our opinions.

Dan

I have a shoebox full of good knives and like the Gerber my dad bought me as a teenager. I used it this call to skin the skull of my buck. I also like the $10 mora I picked up in Norway that splits wood, sharpens with two flicks of sandpaper and takes a beating. But lately I've been very impressed with the Benchmade Steep Country. Fricking razor that stays sharp. Super balance. Very practical grip. You always know where your hand is on the knife, even belly deep in an elk. Just the right blade size and shape for skinning and gutting. Costs 10x the mora but very impressive knife.

I kniw this is kinda an elk thread but I had some things to add. I have used a variety of things over the years and have come to these conclusions. I do not like replacement blade knives because I've had them break, dont like the feel or think I can sharpen something better. I often do traditional field dressing and for that I like a separate saw, gut hook combo that I have in addition to a knife. I often use a gut hook to speed up the gutless method as well, I find it faster for some cuts.

I have found I still favir a buck 110, folding hunter but sometimes I find similar style/size knives that are fixed blade easier to clean.

One thing I will disagree on is a knife that keeps a blade being hard to sharpen. I recently bought my son a semi custom knife that was just rated as a 400 grade stainless steel. The same grade that most buck and gerber knives use. The grade says its the same but its a much finer quality. Similar sized blades are much heavier. What I found was that this knife holds an edge because the particles of steel on the edge dont break off as easily and are finer. We have used this knife skinning several deer and I could shave with it....literally. I once read an article about this sort of thing and figured it for b.s.

So for me, something along the lines of a buck 110, gerber gator, or similar fixed blade knife whith true high end steel would be perfect. With or without a guthook as the size of the hook has to be bigger for thick haired/hided animals like elk.

I used the Havalon's when they were freebies from Eastmans and liked the exchangeable blade idea but didn't like the blade switching mechanism as I felt it was dangerous. I then switched to the Outdoor Edge which I thought had a stronger blade and a safer exchange system. When my wife shot her moose a few years ago the guy that helped us clean it was using a Cutco knife. We couldn't get through the back hide of the moose and long hair with the replaceable blades without changing almost constantly. They just failed to hold their edge. The Cutco knife just kept going and going and never dulled. It was absolutely amazing. I've used Cutco knives ever since. I have the "Hunting Knife" and the "Drop Point Hunting Knife" as well as a foldable pocket knife. https://www.cutco.com/products/thumbnail.jsp?shop=outdoor-knives#sm.0000zqfcho54ndaiqja117tvbg902

I like the lighter weight of the skeleton-style knives but won't give up the Cutco blade. I would love a combination of the two. The ideal knife for me will allow me to cut the knee joints, cape the face and burrs, and cut off the skull all with the same knife while also skinning and cleaning.

Primarily deer and antelope but also have hunted (and thus cleaned) moose, sheep, and elk.

Always gutless. If I'm keeping the hide, I'll obviously do a full cape on it as well.

Bite thier throat out Take em' from behind and smack their AZZ. 8 seconds!:cool:
Az. Rodeo.

I'm probably not the best data point for this thread, but I am a data point.

Fulfilling the necessary:

I would say my primary, go to knife is a Knives of Alaska "Alpha Wolf" with D2 Steel.

Maybe an orange handle, but it would make the knife ugly and I likely wouldn't want to buy it.

Yes, primarily elk. But I will gut, skin, cut up any animal (wild or domestic).

Primarily gutless on elk.

The fun commentary:

I have been lusting over a Skyblade knife for a while (I bought one for a present 15 years ago or so). I need to get that one purchased.

I have and use: Alpha Wolf (mentioned above). Ruana's: a 20B (90's made by Vic), 12A M Stamp, M Stamp sticker with about a 3.75" blade and a custom "new" Ruana that has koa handle and a 3" blade (love, love this knife). EKA model with a gut hook (not 100% sure of the model #, it has about a 5.5-6" blade). Knives of Alaska Steelheader (D2 steel).

The 20B and 12A Ruana's I don't pack into the backcountry anymore. No need to chop trees. But they are razor and will cut anything, anytime. I use them on day hunts and for sentimental reasons anymore. The EKA was a gift - and it works well - it's done maybe 3 elk total.

I love smaller knives and the Alpha Wolf, smaller Ruana's are my favorites. I'll pack the sharp one for the day. I love to sharpen knives to a razor finish - I've used havalon's, outdoor edge and 1 of the gerber vitals. They work fine - but I'd rather have to touch up a blade. The Alpha Wolf and custom koa Ruana will do multiple elk without a touch up. I just got the small M Stamp sticker, and am very confident in it's steel (but not verified).

Havalon from several years ago. Think it's the Piranta style.

Seems to do all I use it for. A wider (not thicker) handle?
I have a multi tool as well and would not use an all in one type... Gutting with such would be a royal pain to clean.

3. Are you primarily an elk hunter or other big game?

The general. Big game: Elk, deer, bear.
However, I use it frequently for other outdoor activities such as cleaning trout, etc.

Gutless

I am also curious how much of a factor the following might be to other hunters, given how they use a knife - weight, blade durability versus sharpening ease, size, folding versus fixed blade, and replaceable blade versus resharpenable blade. And, any other ideas you are seeking when buying a knife.

I typically take a simplified - small multi tool as well. While I like the idea of a multi tool inclusive of a surgically sharp / replaceable blade such as the Havalon Evolve. I think it's better to pack both.

Last edited:
Ive tried a number of knifes over the years,,had a havolon piranta,,eastmans freebie,,,very sharp but breaks too easy on deep cutting or knee joint type stuff,,very sharp when blade is fresh,lightweight good for packing.ive gone with the outdoor edge replaceable,,good for field work,blade support is great,,nice knife but not flexible for filleting the backstrap type cuts.then I use the outdoor edge fillet knife for most butchering and skinning the 'silver" layer when butchering.really comes down to needing all three types depending on the need.the piranta is great for caping and small detail work.

I think a lightweight replaceable blade with a blade support is priority in the field,,but a flexible large fillet blade would be handy on a lot of boning out stuff.maybe a knife with a variety of blades would be good,,protective sheaths for the blades is a must in the field,,would be happy to test any protoypes gerber comes out with and give them more feed back.I like outdoor edge ,but feel like they are a bit too cheaply made,,havalon breaks too easy.maybe gerber could send us knifes from this thread to really try out? just a idea.a bone saw blade would also be nice too as a blade option.

a flexible large fillet blade would be handy on a lot of boning out stuff.
I agree with that and usually carry a Rapala filet knife because they work well and are very light. If a replaceable blade knife could be made that was similar in handling, it might be a big seller.

1. What style of knife you currently use, and brand if you care to share? outdoor edge folding replacement blades, hard to clean, hard to get blades out, but worth the effort for the sharpness it has, I can't sharpen a knife to save my butt.

2. What you would like to see as upgrades to what you currently use? a gut hook on it somehow??

3. Are you primarily and elk hunter or other big game? deer as primary, bear, elk is secondary, general all purpose is probably my most used.

4. Do you mostly do the gutless method or do you do the traditional field dressing/gutting? deer i clean whole, elk will be gutless unless on a road/trail

Given I only have my hunting/trapping experiences to draw from, I am interested in comments and perspectives you have. I am mostly interested in a few things.

1. What style of knife you currently use, and brand if you care to share? I use a couple different knives. I have two Ruana knives made in Bonner Montana that I really like. One is the Steelhead model and the other is the 5AD. I also use a Buck 110 and a USA made Schrade that looks identical to the Buck 110. Both of those are really great knives. I prefer knives that are stout and will hold up to being used hard. I also carry a Benchmade mini-barrage in my pocket for a variety of camp uses and it too can be used to take care of an animal although it is on the small side.

2. What you would like to see as upgrades to what you currently use? I don't see any need for upgrades to what I use. They are each well designed and made and hold a great edge.

3. Are you primarily and elk hunter or other big game? I hunt elk, deer, antelope, bear, and anything else I can draw a tag for.

4. Do you mostly do the gutless method or do you do the traditional field dressing/gutting? I mostly use the traditional method but have used the gutless method a couple of times.

I am also curious how much of a factor the following might be to other hunters, given how they use a knife - weight, blade durability versus sharpening ease, size, folding versus fixed blade, and replaceable blade versus resharpenable blade. And, any other ideas you are seeking when buying a knife. As I said I like a stout well built knife and I do not feel that some heft to a knife is a bad thing. Same for blade durability. I take care of my knife edges with a Lansky sharpening system and I can get an absolutely crazy sharp edge on any knife. Man I wish I would have gotten one of these systems years ago! I like both folding and fixed blade and carry one of my Ruana's and either my Buck of Schrade lock-blade knife in my pack at all times. I DO NOT care for the replaceable blade knives at all. They appear cheap and weak to me and I could see issues with safety and having blades break causing accidents and serious cuts.

Seems I have used a lot of knives over the years too. My favorite for cutting/butchering (gutless method) deer and elk has been a Kershaw 1082 Field fixed blade knige. Unfortunately, the tip of the blade was broken trying to get the ivories out of my daughter's first elk. I found a black handled version of the same knife, but much prefer the orange handle on the other one that has since been discontinued.

I have used my Havalon a bit and once I got used to not prying or using it as a lever while cutting up my animal, it has done a much better job. That said, I got an Outdoor Edge replaceable with my last RMEF renewal and it was pretty good too. But the folders do get all gunked up with stuff that can be hard to remove. I prefer a fixed blade for serious work, but I will always have a folder of some sort.

I have also used a Raptor Razor and had some good luck with it. But it is kind of scary working around others with it. Just this fall i picked up a Benchmade Sheep Country to see how I like it. So far I am impressed with the blade and construction.

I have multiple Browning folders that I have used from time to time. I tried one that had a gut hook that I liked, but the main blade was too rounded for my taste. The next Browning I bought had a great blade shape, good gut hook, but it was not the same quality of blade steel and i struggled to keep it sharp.

So...I want a knife like my Kershaw 1082 Field knife (similar to the Lone rock) that has a tougher steel that holds a razor sharp edge for the entirety of a couple elk.

I hunt mule deer and elk each fall and help my kids and friends do the same. Typically help to quarter multiple animals each fall. 90%+ we use the Gutless method on our animals.

Last edited:
+1 for the Kershaw as well as the Rapala (pronounced RAP-uh-luh, not Rah-paula, dammit) knives.
No gut exclusively. The Kershaw Antelope Hunter and old fashioned Rapala fillet (4" blade I think) have been with me for a long time. The Kershaw removes the shoulders and does any skinning and the Rapala is the surgery tool - filleting off the backstraps and removing the hind 1/4 from the pelvis and hip socket, the flexible fillet blade is perfect.
Orange plasticoated handle on the fillet, and an orange lanyard on the Kershaw are the only reasons they're still in my possession. Wouldn't change a thing on either of 'em. Even have a "customized" multi layer cardboard sheath which holds both knives and is wrapped in orange duct tape for redundancy against my absent mindedness.
Don't like folding knives and can't stand the removable blade jobs - already spent enough years using removable blade scalpels and I am cured of that bullshit......
I do find it humorous that a company would attempt to market a species specific knife, so much difference doing an elk vs. an antelope:rolleyes:.
Whatever suckers folks in I guess - sure it will sell big...........

Last edited:
I personally prefer a danish style skinning knife for breaking down animals. For me there are a few requirements:

- High carbon steel that will last through several broken down deer.
- Thick spine that can be pried on if need be without bending.
- Flat ground bevel for easy sharpening and edge strength.
- Normal, straight point is preferred.
- Decent looking blade and wooden handle (because they're beautiful).

None of these things are revolutionary at all, but I'm a pretty normal guy when it comes to my knife.

I carry a Buck Vanguard with rubberized handle for all elk and similar sized game. It has served me extremely well over the years and stays sharp through use. I also use a Havalon for antelope and deer sized game. Havalon works well for caping also. For what I do, I see no need for improvements. Like others have said I use gutless method if I have to pack them out, otherwise it’s traditional.

Back