Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

R.N. Beaver Hat Referral

josabo

Sorry for the silly post but I have been scanning Randy's podcasts to no avail. On a recent podcast (H.T. or E.T.) Randy referenced a company in Minnesota (maybe) that retailed beaver hats? Maybe I am going crazy but I could have sworn he had a couple minute mention of a hat source. I have neither the skill nor locale to aquire my own hide for a hat and I am highly interested in getting one. Thank you for any assistance.

^ They do great work and will even take green hides if you don't know how to salt your own. They made me a pillow and a pair of choppers.

I saw this & remembered my Montana choppers I got the same day as my "Beaver Hats Co." hat I got the day Nixon resigned in Butte,MT. A cowboy hat.
I still wear that hat every once in a while,even sent it up to Dillon a few years ago for cleaning ,new liner& band.
Felt hats made out of beaver,muskrat & mink in Canada....very pricey at the time,$75.
Still wear those choppers in winter at times....they have been thru the mill & are getting pretty worn out.

There is a hat store in Santa Fe & the owner saw it when I was in there years back & he checked it out.Said the company was gone but had made some of the best at the time & someone was trying to restart it.He told me where to get it cleaned & such. His hats are very nice & start in the $500 range to thousands...makes them for the movie folks too.
He had the whole beaver,raccoon hats & such too.
Bet Randy's folks make those,they are that nice.

Turns out I know the Dillon hat guy from when I lived up there in Basin & he told me one day eating lunch his dream was to make good "Lids" for a living,hats. The dream of a construction laborer in 1975 come true.

Good to see hides of all sorts used these days. I try & save most of my elk hides & would love a custom pair of choppers & moccosins made some day.
I should have gotten new much larger choppers when I got the new heavy Foxx wool mittens last year.Too tight so I use some lighter ones I have as liners.

Az. choppers are old Smelly socks inside out stuffed over your hands so your hands don't burn while driving>:cool:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back