creedmore vs 308 article and cyber monday deal on creedmore

The point being it's getting ridiculous the amount of time and bickering done over caliber choices. I've seen multiple people talk for days wondering about caliber choices and burying themselves in data choosing the.... perfect.... caliber. People are smugly arguing that a 6.5 is better at 3/4 or a mile than this one because it has more ft lbs at that range. At most hunting ranges the 308 has way more energy. If long range energy was all that mattered we would all be firing 50 BMGs and 408 Cheytacs. But it's not. I'll tell you how I picked my last rifle. I bought it because the rifle fit me well, was light, and had a decent reputation. I bought it in .308. Why?! Good god man haven't you read the latest and greatest ballistic data?! No... but a .308 will do the job fine at most ranges and I have a tone of .30 caliber bullets for reloading other guns plus I already have the dies, powder, and primers to fit. So... Reality says why not. But to prove my point you need just read articles and objectively think about what they are arguing over. A few inches and a couple hundred ft lbs. Your time is better spent at the range with whatever caliber you are comfortable with. My 6x6 this year died just as fast as any I've shot with my 300 ultra at the 300 yards I shot it at. I spent my time at the range getting good with it. Not at the calculator. Good hunting.

Oh it seemed you were making a blanket statement against ballistic charts vs people obsessing over ballistic charts.

But ballistics charts don't make people ocd. People make themselves ocd.

I agree that people spend too much time dissecting ballistics calculations, but for unknown range shooting a flat shooting cartridge really is more forgiving. Maybe I shouldn’t have taken the shots, but my first elk was killed at an estimated 670 yards. I don’t own a range finder, and will be getting one after that experience. I thought it was somewhere around 500yds, but elk are big and I don’t have much experience ranging them. I knew I was 30” low at 500yds running 140 Elite Hunters at 3175fps. I aimed 8” over th back and fired. No reaction. Top of the antlers. Disturbed, and trying to decide which way to run. 2’ over the antlers. Hit. After the shot ranging with OnX maps it showed 671yds. At 670yds I’m 66” low. With the other gun I took on the hunt, a 30-06 running 180 Elite Hunters at 2750, I would have been about 96” low. I think that was the difference between tag soup and my first elk. Would recommend doing it that way? Definitely not. It was now or never situation and haven’t prolonged rains in the forecast that would have limited me to places accessible by pavement for the last two days of my tag. It’s the decision I made, and this time it worked out. Next time I plan to have range finder.

How flat a cartridge shoots is much more a function of muzzle velocity than BC until you get to very extreme ranges, but it’s certainly a complimentary aspect. Also, long bullets do tend to penetrate well. A 30-06 could be loaded with a light bullet to beat 3175fps, but it would be a short bullet that might not perform as well on large game and would definitely drift a lot more in the wind. At more reasonable range it wouldn’t matter too much, but I do believe that I benefited from my cartridge choice.

Last edited:
I'll keep my .308. Why? Because a bigger, heavier bullet is preferable on big game animals, i.e.. Mule deer and elk which are what I mostly hunt. How do I know that? It's very simple physics. I could explain it to you, but cannot understand it for you. At standard hunting distances, 300yds or thereabouts, the .308 is better in every way. So at 600yds or whatever, the 6.5CM is 40% this or that - don't particularly care. Get over it, hipsters.

but for unknown range shooting a flat shooting cartridge really is more forgiving. Maybe I shouldn’t have taken the shots, I knew I was 30” low at 500yds running 140 Elite Hunters at 3175fps. I aimed 8” over th back and fired. No reaction. Top of the antlers. Disturbed, and trying to decide which way to run. 2’ over the antlers. Hit. After the shot ranging with OnX maps it showed 671yds.

Bill got 1 thing right in his post. What a maroon.

[video=youtube;hxGgnI6kCrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGgnI6kCrs[/video]

one thing i REALLY like about the 6.5 CREEDMORE...its ability to put .30 cal rifles on the used rack at my local gun shop.

I'll keep my .308. Why? Because a bigger, heavier bullet is preferable on big game animals, i.e.. Mule deer and elk which are what I mostly hunt. How do I know that? It's very simple physics. I could explain it to you, but cannot understand it for you. At standard hunting distances, 300yds or thereabouts, the .308 is better in every way. So at 600yds or whatever, the 6.5CM is 40% this or that - don't particularly care. Get over it, hipsters.

After looking at Tony’s chart I’m selling the 6.5 and getting a 300 Winny. You Mary Poppins 308 shooters can get over it.

hmm...this is all quite amusing. i don't know how many ft-lbs my 6.5-284 puts out at "x" yards, but i do know it's taken out more than a few deer, elk, antelope, and even a goat from ~75 to ~650 yards. i like it, and i think i'll keep it ;) ethical? well...when they're dead, they're dead...not much else to worry about.

I always find it interesting how much passion works its way into these discussions - especially between cartridges that are fairly similar. I don't have a 6.5CM because I already had 2 7mm08s in the safe before man-bun was a thing, and there isn't enough difference inside of 400yds to make a difference (my hunting range), but if I didn't have those and was shopping for something between my 25-06 and my .308s it would be a toss up between the 6.5CM and the 7mm08 - and I won't have too much conviction about whichever I chose.

I feel like I ought to say that I'm really just in this conversation for the ribbing. We're all friends here but the article pretty well set the tone with it's clever little diagram likening the density of .308 shooters to that of a neutron star. Pretty funny, but could be taken as a little insulting. I know what I like to hunt with and why. The Creed has a nitch, and I don't really begrudge anyone for being into it. But I'm 46 years old with about 28 hunting seasons under my belt and I'm pretty settled on the .308 shooting a 165grn bullet as a solid general purpose big game rifle. It has a nitch too. Its not as sleek or sexy, but it does very good things.

I've often thought this whole debate is funny because in my mind it's similar to comparing a Prius to an F150. Both have the things they do well, but fall short of one another in certain regards.

Shoot what you like. Call me dense and I'll make fun of your man bun. No biggy.:hump:

Bill got 1 thing right in his post. What a maroon.

[video=youtube;hxGgnI6kCrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxGgnI6kCrs[/video]

Call me a moron all you want. I went home with an elk instead of a tag. I could have put all sorts of imaginary limitations on myself, or I could have given it a go. I gave it a go. Maybe that makes me a moron. I’m going to enjoy my elk meat.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back