Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

creedmore vs 308 article and cyber monday deal on creedmore

I talked to a guy the other day that bloodied, and failed to recover, two whitetail bucks with his new 6.5 Creed. Not sure what the problem was. Shooter error, perhaps.

This seems to becoming more and more common.

People taking a caliber and stretching the hunting bounds of the caliber.

I dislike when people on TV or youtube do it, but then again I dislike long range hunting in general.

The 6.5 Creed is a great caliber 500 yards and in for game.

It is also a great caliber for 1000 yards on paper.

Agreed.

I've never shoot a Creedmoor but have a 6.5x55. Up to elk, I can use the 6.5 Creedmoor with a 140 gr bullet. For a big bear I'd leave the the Creedmoor home and take the 308 with something like a 200 gr bullet. The elk may be fairly close but the bear probably will be close. Think I'd rather something other than the Creedmoor on the bear. That does not mean I don't thing the Creedmoor wouldn't do it with a good shot, simply means tha prudence being the better part of valor, give to the bigger load!

Funny what mention of the Creed. brings out in people. Is it a wonder cartridge? No, but it is the only cartridge released lately that has the right twist, throated correctly (most of them) and has ample mag box length for today’s bullets. The 6.5 Creed is what Remington should have done with the 260.

This is an unethical shot.

Using 2900 muzzle velocity and a .465 BC, there is only 910 ft/lbs of energy at that range.

I am sure it worked, but this is way undergunning it for elk.

It’s actually just proof that energy has very little to do with killing power.

Funny what mention of the Creed. brings out in people. Is it a wonder cartridge? No, but it is the only cartridge released lately that has the right twist, throated correctly (most of them) and has ample mag box length for today’s bullets. The 6.5 Creed is what Remington should have done with the 260.

The reason it wasn’t done with the .260 Rem is that the bullets that need the long throat and tight twist didn’t exist back then. Okay, there were long heavy 6.5mm bullets, but they were blunt and unpopular in the US. Handloading and custom guns make the 6.5 CM meaningless. It does nothing that many cartridges didn’t do long before. For buying off the shelves guns and ammo though, it’s the perfect blend of everything. The 6.5-284 Norma is pretty good too though.

Laughing because I still shoot a .30-06 sometimes. New evidence provided by the meme suggests I should switch to the .308. It has much better ballistics.

Ron Spoomer just did an series of articles comparing actual hunting loads for the 6.5, .308, .270. and 7mm-08. Interesting reading.

The only thing ballistics charts have ever killed is time.

For sure. Just think without them we could better use our time randomly buying different guns off the rack and seeing how they work. Is that how you picked your rifle?

For sure. Just think without them we could better use our time randomly buying different guns off the rack and seeing how they work. Is that how you picked your rifle?

Wait...you couldn't actually consider how they work as that would basically be a ballistics chart. I recommend just randomly picking up rifles and shooting them. Never mind where they hit at different ranges. Close your eyes and fire away.

Wait...you couldn't actually consider how they work as that would basically be a ballistics chart. I recommend just randomly picking up rifles and shooting them. Never mind where they hit at different ranges. Close your eyes and fire away.

The point being it's getting ridiculous the amount of time and bickering done over caliber choices. I've seen multiple people talk for days wondering about caliber choices and burying themselves in data choosing the.... perfect.... caliber. People are smugly arguing that a 6.5 is better at 3/4 or a mile than this one because it has more ft lbs at that range. At most hunting ranges the 308 has way more energy. If long range energy was all that mattered we would all be firing 50 BMGs and 408 Cheytacs. But it's not. I'll tell you how I picked my last rifle. I bought it because the rifle fit me well, was light, and had a decent reputation. I bought it in .308. Why?! Good god man haven't you read the latest and greatest ballistic data?! No... but a .308 will do the job fine at most ranges and I have a tone of .30 caliber bullets for reloading other guns plus I already have the dies, powder, and primers to fit. So... Reality says why not. But to prove my point you need just read articles and objectively think about what they are arguing over. A few inches and a couple hundred ft lbs. Your time is better spent at the range with whatever caliber you are comfortable with. My 6x6 this year died just as fast as any I've shot with my 300 ultra at the 300 yards I shot it at. I spent my time at the range getting good with it. Not at the calculator. Good hunting.

Never shot a 6.5 and don't really know squat about it but I may have to look in to how it compares to a .264 win mag, which I have shot quite a bit over the years and find to be a great cartridge.

the article says the 6.5 creed is FAAAAR superior to the .308 and is just barely superior for real world hunting. Not to mention I just looked up the 7mm-8 vs the 6.5 cm. on the Federal website. both 140 nosler accubonds, this shows the 7mm-08 is actually flatter and with better velocity and energy out to 500 yards. That's as far as most if not all people should be shooting anyway

long range.jpg

the 7mm-08 and 6.5cm are basically the same and are identical with 140g accubonds at 500yards

wind drift.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back