MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

creedmore vs 308 article and cyber monday deal on creedmore

Interesting article. I wish more comparisons would have been done with typical hunting loads. But, then again the author didn't seem to be striving for a balanced article.

Within average hunting ranges (400 and less), it is a wash. The .308 will throw bigger lead down range with good accuracy, but will do it with quite a bit more recoil, but still not bad. The 6.5 is easy to load for, recoil is very light and it hits hard. I would still prefer to hunt elk with my 7 mag, but I would not feel under-gunned at all with my Creed, or 260s. I watched Wayne Van Zwol on TV take an elk at over 600 with a 123 Amax, from his Creed. Based on my experience with shooting LOTS of deer and a few antelope over the last two years, I will take my 6.5s, hands down over the .308 for that task.

I own both a .308(used to have two, but one is now a .260) and an '06 and I like them both, but they are spending lots of time in the safe now, when deer time, or range time comes around.

I watched Wayne Van Zwol on TV take an elk at over 600 with a 123 Amax, from his Creed.

This is an unethical shot.

Using 2900 muzzle velocity and a .465 BC, there is only 910 ft/lbs of energy at that range.

I am sure it worked, but this is way undergunning it for elk.

Using 2900 muzzle velocity and a .465 BC, there is only 910 ft/lbs of energy at that range.

Your calc looks like it is for sea level. Although elk live at sea level (I've seen them) I'd say it's unlikely this one was taken at sea level. If you assume 7500' then the same calculation comes out to 1200 ft-lbs which is much more reasonable...although still too close to the edge for my taste.

I did not say that it was ethical. I just said that he did it and he is not the only one by far. Way too many dead elk, cleanly taken with the Creed, to argue with it. 900 lbs. will take an elk, but it would not be my preference, either.

Yes, that magical time of year when certain rifle cartridges once mere brass, powder, and lead take on miraculous properties.

People crow about the sectional density of the 6.5 creedmore, yet the 165 gr 30 cal is comparable to the 120 gr 6.5 and likewise the 180 to the 140 in terms of sd and ballistic coefficient.

So all we are really left with is the fact that is the 6.5, like any small fast cartridge, shoots a little flatter, recoils a little less, and hits with less muzzle energy. What's new here again?

I took the nosler ballistic tip loads for 165 gr .308 and 120 gr 6.5. I even reduced the factory 308 velocity from 2800 to the more standard 2700 and left the creedmoor at 2900. Considered a 200 yard sight in.

What does the miraculous 6.5 gain us at 300 yards? .43 inches less wind drift at a 10 mph crosswind, 1.2 inches less drop, all at the cost of 279 ft lbs of energy.

And if those numbers bother you, there is always the magical 30-06.

Pretty funny article though. My favorite was this picture
View attachment 90588

LOL. These caliber debates are always funny. It never ceases to amaze me how popular the 6.5 CM has become, and how people seem to think it's the 8th wonder of the world.

In reality it's a nice 6.5 for women, children, and others who cant handle the recoil of the more powerful rounds like the 6.5-.284 which blows the doors off the man bun round.

But if you can't handle a heavy gun, can't handle normal recoil, and can't operate a long action I guess it's an option. :hump:

If you're going to be pissing around at the range at long distances, buy the 6.5. If not, don't worry too much about it.

I like the magical '06 myself.

LOL. These caliber debates are always funny. It never ceases to amaze me how popular the 6.5 CM has become, and how people seem to think it's the 8th wonder of the world.

In reality it's a nice 6.5 for women, children, and others who cant handle the recoil of the more powerful rounds like the 6.5-.284 which blows the doors off the man bun round.

But if you can't handle a heavy gun, can't handle normal recoil, and can't operate a long action I guess it's an option. :hump:

That 6.5-284 is only if you aren't manly enough to handle my old standard weight .300 win throwing 180 gr 3100 fps for 3900 ftlbs. Don't know why I quit shooting it.

That 6.5-284 is only if you aren't manly enough to handle my old standard weight .300 win throwing 180 gr 3100 fps for 3900 ftlbs. Don't know why I quit shooting it.

People are getting soft. 10 years ago it was 300 Ultra Mags, now the bandwagon round is a lightweight.

By 2025 the .243 will probably be the most popular round in the world for long range elk hunting.

I did not say that it was ethical. I just said that he did it and he is not the only one by far. Way too many dead elk, cleanly taken with the Creed, to argue with it. 900 lbs. will take an elk, but it would not be my preference, either.

This seems to becoming more and more common.

People taking a caliber and stretching the hunting bounds of the caliber.

I dislike when people on TV or youtube do it, but then again I dislike long range hunting in general.

The 6.5 Creed is a great caliber 500 yards and in for game.

It is also a great caliber for 1000 yards on paper.

What if I told you that I shoot the 6.5 Creed, .30-06, and the 300 win and none of those hold any weight to the manly 7.62x54R.

I mean what other gun can you bury in the backyard for a year, dig it up, and it will function as well as the day you bought it.

It also takes a brute to have the finger strength for the 18lb trigger and to take the pummeling of the metal recoil pad.

It is so bad A$$ that you do not even have to hit the target, because the shockwave of the round will do all the work.

It also comes stock with a grouse killing bayonet.

Really, what more could you ask for?

Just piss in your own urinal! It doesn't matter just shoot what you're comfortable with and ignore people!

OP's article was worth reading for the quips, "blow the velcro off their shoes." I laughed my dentures out, my Depends saved the moment.

It did not address bullet performance on game larger than 100 kilos, or 4 legged for that matter.

What if I told you that I shoot the 6.5 Creed, .30-06, and the 300 win and none of those hold any weight to the manly 7.62x54R.

I mean what other gun can you bury in the backyard for a year, dig it up, and it will function as well as the day you bought it.

It also takes a brute to have the finger strength for the 18lb trigger and to take the pummeling of the metal recoil pad.

It is so bad A$$ that you do not even have to hit the target, because the shockwave of the round will do all the work.

It also comes stock with a grouse killing bayonet.

Really, what more could you ask for?

Sold! That sounds like the kind of gun that will put hair on your chest. Where the 6.5 CM guys are buying facial hair supplements so they can look manly with a beard.

A buddy and I were actually joking around about taking getting an SKS or AK47 for hunting for many of the reasons you mentioned. No need for a case, just throw it anywhere, and if worse comes to worse a the bayonette would be great for road ragers. For jumping deer in the sandhills to fighting elk in thick timber it would be hard to beat in some situations.

Back