State land posted as private, Custer NF.

Keep us posted (see what I did there...lol :p). I would like to hear how it plays out for you and the other guy.

Got a email from Chris this week. He said he personally walked the lines and painted all the orange posts back to blue for state land, took down the signs and gave the leasee a verbal and written warning along with the ramifications of future illegal signage. I know its just a slap on the wrist but aleast he checked everything out and hopefully won't have any future problems on this state land.

The main thing is that he followed up on the report and something was actually done about it.

Glad it worked out

good to hear they did something about it,,ive contacted Oregon twice on similar illegal activity and postings and they appear to not be concerned,,at least they havnt recontacted me about either thing that ive reported.was still illegally posted the last time I seen it .

Very glad to hear they listened to you and actually followed through on this. Kudos to you for doing the right thing!

Buddy of mine was up by Fort Benton waterfowl hunting the high water mark (undoubted high water mark) and got chewed out by land owner, even though accessed the area w/out crossing through his property above high water mark. My buddy packed up and left so things didn't escalate further. Come Monday morning, he called FWP and explained what happened and offered to share a bunch of photos he took to prove where he was hunting. The wardens were very empathetic in listening and said that they were heading to the landowner that afternoon to have a discussion w/ him. Apparently, it wasn't the first incident they've had with this gent.

And sadly be prepared to have an interaction with the sheriff to interrupt your hunt.
First thing I would do is to politely contact the name on the posted sign and ask for permission to hunt which will ultimately help your cause.
That name on the posted sign leases that land from the state but that is it ........... however, we live in strange times.

I appreciate your search for civility, but I suggest never asking a private landowner for permission to hunt public land unless you are going to be crossing their private land. The land management agency alone has authority over access and it sets a pad precedent to go along and treat it as private. I'd just make sure I have have onX with me at all times to prove my location.

joelweb,
You are right about not having to ask the lessee about hunting on accessible public lands. You have no obligation to do so.

Most landowners that I know are considerably more tolerant of those folks who bother to stop by the house and let them know who/what/when/where and why they are there. Landowners see nobody on those parcels of public land until hunting season comes along and the public demands access "to their wildlife". Wildlife and lands they have shown no interest in for 364 days of the year.
Who knows, by showing a little common courtesy you may gain access to otherwise inaccessible ground. Just a thought from someone who deals with this annually. (and before some of you run your keyboards, yes, I have allowed some people access to that have shown this courtesy)

Got a email from Chris this week. He said he personally walked the lines and painted all the orange posts back to blue for state land, took down the signs and gave the leasee a verbal and written warning along with the ramifications of future illegal signage. I know its just a slap on the wrist but aleast he checked everything out and hopefully won't have any future problems on this state land.

Grats Spedray. A quality example.

Inaction emboldens illegal activity.

joelweb,
Most landowners that I know are considerably more tolerant of those folks who bother to stop by the house and let them know who/what/when/where and why they are there.

They will have to "tolerate" me on when I legally access public lands. Try me.

joelweb,
Most landowners that I know are considerably more tolerant of those folks who bother to stop by the house and let them know who/what/when/where and why they are there.

They will have to "tolerate" me when I legally access public lands. Try me.

Nice work Spedray.

I appreciate your search for civility, but I suggest never asking a private landowner for permission to hunt public land unless you are going to be crossing their private land. The land management agency alone has authority over access and it sets a pad precedent to go along and treat it as private. I'd just make sure I have have onX with me at all times to prove my location.

Good grief, it was not point to kiss the landowners ass by "asking" to hunt our public land that was illegally posted but rather doing so to also obtaining false/illegal verbiage to add to your cause assuming actions were/are going to taken with the proper people until the problem is rectified.

state land that had signs saying posted no trespassing, no hunting, no fishing

I have seen this one to many times, people think they can just take over public land because its adjacent to their farm. Make sure you are 100% in the right and contact the number below.

Start here (406) 444-2074 and tell them where and what and ask where to go from there.

It is illegal to post public land in that way and leasing it for grazing does not allow them to post it. I have dealt with this in the past in R2 and R3; it wasn't long after and the situations were rectified and no more signs.

Illegal to post, but what are the penalties? A warning? big deal.

joelweb,
You are right about not having to ask the lessee about hunting on accessible public lands. You have no obligation to do so.

Most landowners that I know are considerably more tolerant of those folks who bother to stop by the house and let them know who/what/when/where and why they are there. Landowners see nobody on those parcels of public land until hunting season comes along and the public demands access "to their wildlife". Wildlife and lands they have shown no interest in for 364 days of the year.
Who knows, by showing a little common courtesy you may gain access to otherwise inaccessible ground. Just a thought from someone who deals with this annually. (and before some of you run your keyboards, yes, I have allowed some people access to that have shown this courtesy)

This is absolutely golden.
In MT, there are about 35000000 acres of public land and a shit ton more enrolled in type 1 BMA's.
Some of us are perfectly comfortable with not kissing your ring and can find just about any game species we want to harvest on any of these public or BMA lands.
Yes it's true, even given Buzz's breath holding and foot stomping.:D
Hell, even once in a while a very friendly and not-consumed-with-himself landowner OFFERS a chance to hunt on his/her holdings.
A few years ago, I actually got waved down by a local landowner while driving down the highway. He ASKED me if I would like to shoot an elk. I took him up on it. A really great guy. Rare.
Nice attempt to turn things around from the OP's original topic about landowners posting lands that ain't theirs..........................

joelweb,

“Tolerate” of guys accessing public land. That’s damn funny.

joelweb,

Last time I pulled into a rancher’s place I didn’t know unannounced (5Pm) to chit chat about hunting the public accessible land near his place was May 2008. Spitz was along for that fun. I’ve decided after that experience that I’d rather not do that.

90E9C7B5-2A10-40C7-9DF0-F36763C05940.jpg

Last time I pulled into a rancher’s place I didn’t know unannounced (5Pm) to chit chat about hunting the public accessible land near his place was May 2008. Spitz was along for that fun. I’ve decided after that experience that I’d rather not do that.

View attachment 92589

Wow! The woman looks like she just ate a pound of nails. I'd be afraid to say hi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back