First aid kit

C17loadclear

Hey guys,

I just watched a video of a bow hunter sticking himself in the leg while hunting.

Well it got me thinking that my basic kit is not enough and I wondering what you guys carry in your pack.

Thanks!!

Skip the mostly useless pre made kits. I carry a ziplock with an ace bandage, neosporin and a roll of that cushioned tape. (Skin colored. Maybe moleskin type stuff?). Haven’t needed anything different.

Your level of first aid training will dictate what goes in YOUR first aid kit. There isnt a ready-made good for all kit out there that I have found and Ive used most of them (retired US Army combat medic and civilian EMT).
-Brian
You mean Leuko tape? That stuff is awesome but pricey.

Last edited:
I agree the pre made kits are not much use. Mine is in a small waterproof pouch and includes the usual gauze, tape, band aids plus a clotting sponge, tweezers, spare pair of contacts and a few industrial strength painkillers.

Hey guys,

I just watched a video of a bow hunter sticking himself in the leg while hunting.

Well it got me thinking that my basic kit is not enough and I wondering what you guys carry in your pack.

Thanks!!

Here is the link to Corey and company and the rodeo that happens when your skinny arrow falls out of its place and you walk the broadhead into your calf......

[video=youtube;IGVy55eUCkg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVy55eUCkg[/video]

Your level of first aid training will dictate what goes in YOUR first aid kit. There isnt a ready-made good for all kit out there that I have found and Ive used most of them (retired US Army combat medic and civilian EMT).
-Brian
You mean Leuko tape? That stuff is awesome but pricey.

I'm a retired combat medic and civilian EMT (I99) too LOL :cool: Everyone gives me crap for suggesting tampons and duct tape in a first aid kit lol

i too was a combat medic, tampons or the pads are in my first aid kit as well, along with duct tape, i might get crap for it, but it works! Also carry a 12"x 12" piece of plastic, just in case someone or myself has a sucking chest wound, I hope that's something i'll never use, but if it it does, at least i'm prepared.

Last edited:
Also carry a 12"x 12" piece of plastic, just in case someone or myself has a sucking chest wound, I hope that's something i'll never use, but if it it does, at least i'm prepared.

That is what my Cabela's gift card with 42 cents on it is for!! (USAF taught to tape on three sides the members ID card......seals/allows pressure to equalize, and serves as added ID to dog tags)

A piece of saran wrap with some gauze underneath it makes a pretty good burn dressing as well. Just get the skin properly cooled off before applying it. I have even used it when field dressing to cover the outer tenderloin when hanging a deer - keeps the rind from forming and greatly limits shrinkage do to drying.

I not only carry tampons I actually have a brand preference - OB no applicator tampons are the best. I found them way before the army - we used them to pack nose bleeds in judo class back when I was just a wee lad. lol.

For an off the shelf option going to a surplus store and getting an IFAC wouldnt be a bad starting point. Toss in a couple of tampons, some luko tape, and you're about 90% covered for the trauma you are likely to find hunting. Some OTC meds in a baggy and wrap the outside of the IFAC case in a couple or wraps of duct tape and call it a day. Total cost is sub-$25. Not the answer for gram weenies though.

And apparently when you leave the army we are required to sit on internet forums and comment on first aid threads lol.

Last edited:
A mere Combat Lifesaver grunt, I never learned the elite Medic tampon trick but it makes perfect sense and I will include some in my kit now.

An unprepared USFS co-worker cut his finger to the bone and made do with toilet paper and duct tape but he always packed a 1st aid kit after that incident.

Quite awhile ago I also added a sport package of QuikClot to my kit as well.

When I went to the ER for my cut, I asked the doctor about quick-clot. They advised me that if I used it, they would have to scrub it out of the wound before doing the sutures. They recommended pressure bandage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back