How to become a dedicated wolf hunter????

OverlordBear

Hello everyone,

I have been devouring all of Randy Newberg, Meat Eater and Solo Hunter material and have learned a lot. I harvested a nice muley this fall, but I saw as much predator sign as I did any deer or elk sign. I can hear wolves at night near my house and I live near Caribou Targhee National forest, pretty much the front line of the wolf reintroduction. I am an adult onset hunter and have been hunting for 7 years on public land and have only been successful about half the time. Where would be a good place to start learning about effective wolf hunting strategies so I don't waste my time. I have three day weekends every week and it only takes me an hour to get into wolf country so I have a good chance of being able to put in the time to effective hunt them. A lot of stuff I have seen on youtube ends up being coyotes in the midwest or wolves in alaska or canada and I am wondering if anyone has mastered wolf hunting in the lower 48 and what strategies they use to accomplish this. Ultimately I think I would rather bag a wolf every year then an elk just to help the herds. Any suggestions or literature recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks

IMG_2792.jpg

Jcs271

Hey thanks for the 20 cents any recommendation on decent calls for wolf hunting. Should I use distress cow calf calls with my elk calls or should I invest in the electronic calls and any recommendations on quality brand of calls. I might also take the trapping education class this spring for Idaho. Well good luck this winter and thanks for any additional advice.

Back