1877 Sharps And Another Dead Critter

shrapnel

It is nice to shoot big animals, but that isn't always the quest. I waited 5 years to get this rifle and now that I got it, I have used it on several animals this fall. Friday was a small 4 point mule deer buck.

I spotted it and several other does feeding in an open field, then moving into the sage hills to escape the wind. After about a mile of sneaking and crawling through some cactus, I was able to close the gap to 208 yards and smoke this buck in his bed. He had no idea I was anywhere around and with just the one shot, killed him in his bed...

That is cool stuff. Congrats.

Makes me think some day I need to send a few rounds down the barrel of my buffalo rifle made by the good folks over there in Big Timber. A client bought it for me and it is so "purdy" I've not had the gumption to take it out for a hunt.

That is cool stuff. Congrats.

Makes me think some day I need to send a few rounds down the barrel of my buffalo rifle made by the good folks over there in Big Timber. A client bought it for me and it is so "purdy" I've not had the gumption to take it out for a hunt.

Get it out and we can take it over to Harlowton to a prairie dog field I know and shoot prairie dogs with them...

Love it. Congrats! I have some great memories of camping with my dad somewhere by Big Timber when he was competing in Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette shoots with guns like that. Great that you are getting critters with it.

You have some great rifles, Shrap. Good shot. I can't even see well enough to use open sights at 100.

The rear sight is a Montana Vintage Arms mid-range Soule sight. I have them on both my competition rifle and the 1877. They are precision sights with absolute micrometer settings to adjust and bring the sight settings back to zero. The near sight has the adjustable peep and large eyecup for shooting competition under different circumstances and be able to adjust the size of the rear peep while you are on the firing line.

The sight on the 1877 is the same, but it just has the standard eyepiece, which is what I use for hunting. The base of these sights have the adjustment to allow for windage in precise micrometer settings to allow for perfect repeatability. The staff is similarly marked. The front sight is a globe with replaceable inserts for different shooting circumstances and has over a dozen inserts that can be easily changed....

Nice! I love to see the big single shots at work.

I’ve got an original rolling block that I want to take out next time I draw an antelope tag. I’ll want to add a tang sight, the existing ones are 80-100yd max. 2C25D88E-ACEB-461F-9C08-15E063518812.jpg

Back