First elk hunt bob marshal

hoganfireman

Hello everyone,

I will (hopefully) be traveling to montana next September for my first elk hunt. Provided I draw my general elk tag. I booked a guided hunt with I.C.R. outfitters. I will be hunting in unit 280. From the topo and comparing to xmaps. This unit appears to encompass a mountain. Has anyone hunted this unit? I'm purchasing some new sitka gear, amongst other things. Based on the recommendations from the sitka website, I've settled on open country pattern in an early season level of weather protection. Is this the right choice? Is this area open mountain stalking? Or will I encounter definite foliage? How much success have you folks enjoyed in this unit or the "Bob" in general? I'm checking things off my list throughout the year. What other tips and advice can anyone offer this elk virgin? I'm from Michigan btw, I've certainly traveled to my states herd range to shed hunt, glass and otherwise just be in elk county. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

The Bob is an awesome place. I think it would be a tough hunt, but with an outfitter you might have a good chance of success. Regardless, it should be a great adventure.

I'm 38, getting in great shape. I'm willing to put in the sweat, hours and effort. I may regret typing this but I want a hunt that's gonna require effort.

Although camo doesn’t really matter on a rifle hunt, I’d buy the subalpine pattern for the Bob in September. There will be a lot of pine trees and some dead grass that time of year.

I’d bring:

Mountain Pants
Light weight s/s tee shirt top
Medium weight base top w/hoody
Heavyweight fleece top
Kelvin light jacket
Rain gear

I’d also break from the Sitka and buy a set of Kuiu Peloton 200 base bottoms. Reason being they have side zips so you can take them off without taking your boots off. You might want to put them on in the morning and then take them off later, especially if you’re getting in the saddle.

On an outfitted hunt, you can expect to spend a considerable amount of time on a horse. You’ll get cold if you don’t layer up. That country can get below freezing and snow in September. It can also get a fair amount of rain. Plan accordingly to get the most out of your hunt.

LOL what Straight Arrow said.....

You can go just about anywhere in MT and have a hunt that will require effort, as long as you're willing to get out of a truck and hike.

Camo doesnt matter nearly as much as staying comfortable. I wear a mix of FL, sitka, kuiu mostly, different gear for different weather. Open country, sub alpine, any of em work. Try not to stink and move a lot. Good luck!

Camo doesnt matter nearly as much as staying comfortable. I wear a mix of FL, sitka, kuiu mostly, different gear for different weather. Open country, sub alpine, any of em work. Try not to stink and move a lot. Good luck!

Thanks for the luck! Unless the money runs out before I plan to gear up with sitka. I really like what I've bought so far. I should be completely comfortable with that system.

So this is an archery hunt?

So when you say “first week of September” you mean the first week of the elk hunting season not the first actual week of September?

The early rifle season doesn’t start until September 15.

Just want to make sure the outfitter has communicated clearly with you.

So when you say “first week of September” you mean the first week of the elk hunting season not the first actual week of September?

The early rifle season doesn’t start until September 15.

Just want to make sure the outfitter has communicated clearly with you.

I fly into Montana on the 14th. I meant to say, first week of legal hunting lol

I'm getting ready for the hiking now

I’ve hunted this unit a number of times. Beautiful country and you should have a great time. Weather is a crapshoot. I’ve seen a foot of snow, high winds, fog, and bluebird days, all in the same week.

It’s big country, although not terrible for elevation. Train wisely and you’ll be fine.

"The Bob" holds such an amazing mystique! Wish you the best! A lifetime experience!

Be it the Scapegoat, Holland, Augusta, Great Bear... Every entry point has it's amazing beauty as one routes into, "The Bob"!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back