Sausage help

TexanSam

So guys I have a question for y'all who make your own sausage. For years I've always had my uncle help me make sausage out of what I killed, but since this year I'm going to be visiting my Girlfriend's family in Florida during Christmas instead of going to his place, I'm going at it alone.

I think I have most of it down, except in the past we always mixed deer with some fat cuts of pork and it came out pretty good. This year I have two big fat wild hogs in the freezer that I am planning on making sausage out of as well, and having already ate some meat off of them, they taste almost like domestic pork. (I assume because they came from an area where corn and soybeans are grown heavily).

My question to yall is can I just mix the two together and consider it "fat enough", or do I need to cut it with some fat from the butcher regardless? Thanks

If they have good fat running through them you should be good to go. If they are pretty lean then you'll have to work on getting enough fat content to keep the sausage moist.

What kind of sausage? We use the Cabela's Jalapeno Summer Sausage mix for our ss. 17 pounds wild, eight pounds of cheap pork, or beef to add the grease. We have never used straight fat, but that is an option that many use.

On a domestic hog, the shoulder has basically the correct amount of fat ratio for making sausage. You might be able to use that as a gauge for how fatty the hogs you have are.

On a domestic hog, the shoulder has basically the correct amount of fat ratio for making sausage. You might be able to use that as a gauge for how fatty the hogs you have are.

Boneless boston butt 100% yield goes straight in grinder with spice mix

It depends on what you like and what kind of sausage you are making.

We prefer our breakfast and Italian lean. I typically do 25lbs at a time so I use 16ish lbs of venison and the rest is pork shoulder. I figure I am around 95% lean give or take. For most people it is probably to lean but I always fry it in some Olive Oil to help keep it from getting to dry.

If you are talking Summer or anything smoked then I even care less. I normally do about the same but I did some summer this year exactly like you are. I mixed Venison and wild hog. It is really lean but one of my best batches.

Yep, that's my go to whenever if I run out of venison in the middle of summer.

Prior to running these bonless butts through the grinder, follow the seams where they took out the shoulder blade chunk and ensure that they got that nasty little gland out of there. From what I've seen Tyson/IBP typically gets 'em about half the time. If you see a walnut-sized off color nodule in there, do yourself a favor and cut it out before grinding.

The boston butt cut might not have the gland. However if you are using a picnic cut it will have a gland.

I would be surprised if you diffent need to add fat, wild hogs rarely have as high a fat content as raised pork butt for example

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hardan9
Back