Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Gift for a friend

Jsjagger85

Hey ya’ll. Came to the forum as I figured it would be the best way to get first hand info and the best info. I am a novice hunter, mainly water fowl and upland. I’ve never done big game yet.
Anyway. I have a good friend that is a really big hunter. He makes several trips to Alaska or Canada every year. A real good guy. Well... I kind of want to hook him up with a surprise and send him on a real memorable hunt. I’m just needing help on how to go about it and do it right.
I’ve searched previous threads and have seen people posting about red stag in New Zealand or Dall sheep up north. I have looked into the stag hunting and it definitely is something to remember, especially at about 10k. (Just as a side note, it’s not ruled out).

Let’s pretend I wanted to send him to New Zealand. How do I go about it. He’s not one for fancy lodges and red carpet hunting- nor does he want his hand held for 50 step from the truck just to shoot something fenced in. He’s told me some pretry crazy stories from up north. I’m not familiar with guide hunting or how to select one. Obviously he’s going to need one, but I worry that i Line him up with a guide that maybe he doesn’t click with or a guide that just wants his money and for lack of a better term is a real deuche. He’s definitely not afraid to pack in a day or two and camp under the stars.
With all that said. I need a little help. Suggestions how to Do it. OR if you have suggestions on other big game hunts such as the Dall sheep etc. I’m open for it.

Does he enjoy elk hunting? A landowner voucher for a great elk unit like 16D in New Mexico would be real hard to beat.

Axis deer on the Island of Lanai, Dole Plantation. Awesome hunt. I've done it twice and would go back in a heartbeat. Toss in some deep sea fishing and you have a Sportsman's dream of a lifetime !

Can you be my friend?

There are several ways to do a memorable experience here State side. That NM unit wide voucher is a good start.

When you want to make such an expensive present, the best way would be to ask him directly. We can advise anything you want, but maybe he has a concrete dream. It will be a pity for you and your friend to waste money on a present he never dreamed of. Indeed, you can come to his birthday and present him a gift basket with meat and whiskey like this jetgiftbaskets.com with a check for a certain amount of money, or a gift card with paid rented transport or some hunting accessories in a specializing shop or a new tent. If you are very close friends you can offer him that he selected a place where he would like to travel, planned and calculated all the spending and you just paid them.

Last edited:
When you want to make such an expensive present, the best way would be to ask him directly. We can advise anything you want, but maybe he has a concrete dream.
Maxi-I think that hunt was approx. 2yrs. ago... 💥

Ovis Outfitters out of Wasilla Alaska are some great folks to hunt with. I did a grizzly bear hunt and wrote about the hunt and did an outfitter review on this forum. I can highly recommend these folks. They hunt grizzly bear, wolf, moose, Dall sheep, caribou, Alaskan brown bear. I would go with these folks every year if I could afford it! They might have a hunt that would work for your special person! I got a beautiful grizzly bear on my hunt with them. The guides and outfitters are fantastic.

Matt & Emily Thoft are folks originally from Montana so you know they have to be good folks!!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back