Why is my bolt black and not Cerakote Tactical Gray on my New Howa KUIU?

youtube reviews show the bolt same color.

[video=youtube;xz5iwf6vDZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz5iwf6vDZs[/video]

Last edited:
I also question their reasoning but it very well might be the case. after buying 2 different Howa Alpine Rifles with the Cerakoted bolt barrel and action (essentially the exact same barrel and action you have on your Kuiu model) I've noticed a couple things worth noting and worth letting legacy sports know about.

First I'll say I love my Howa and have killed multiple animals with it and its very accurate and a joy to hunt/shoot with.
My first Howa Alpine came with a black panted bottom metal and not Cerakoted like it should have. Matt with LSI quickly said that was the old way they were shipped so he replaced it immediately with a new one. I hunted one season with the ammoboost magazine to save weight. I hated it and do not think its a good design at all so I switched to the new cerakoted bottom metal. problem was my stock was "an older model" and was not compatible with the hinged floorplate. that stock also didn't have the little red "fire" safety dot on it either. I sent the rifle in where they replace the entire stock for a new one. now my rifle is good to go

I bought a second Alpine and that rifle looked pretty good to go. I did notice it had a completely different recoil pad than my other one and the O and the A in Howa on the floorplate was solid black like the inside of the letters weren't removed when it was placed on the bottom metal and cerakoted.

I tell you these things because I feel like these rifles are put together at different times by different people and almost feel more like a custom gun than a factory rifle like a browning, ruger savage etc. I do wish Legacy would address these things because its not what I expect when buying a rifle. especially when spending close to $1000 on the upper end rifles they sell.

as long as yours is working correctly and still has the all weather properties that you wanted in a cerakoted barreled action I'd leave it the way it is. they still need to update their brochure and website to reflect this change. if it is in fact a legitimate change

My sentiments exactly; seems to be a quality control issue

Last edited:
MrWinkle13

I dunno about pictures but here is what it says. Not that I don't think it looks great how it is but the pictures should be corrected and not be misleading. It says barrel and receiver.

IMG_6665.jpg

While I understand your frustration I’m not sure I’d be too worked up. The 2 guns that I have that are cerakoted are actually kind of sticky and not smooth at all. It frustrating for sure. I think the black blends well with the existing black in the camo. Nice looking gun!

This x10. Marketing and expectations aside I will never cerekote another action in any form of grey. I had a custom build done on a Defiance action and the action went from glass to sandpaper. I talked to the Eddie Fosnaugh who has done a lot of cerakote work for me (but did not build this particular rifle) and he said all the grey's are like that. Compared to three actions he has done for me in black the comparison is stark.

This x10. Marketing and expectations aside I will never cerekote another action in any form of grey. I had a custom build done on a Defiance action and the action went from glass to sandpaper. I talked to the Eddie Fosnaugh who has done a lot of cerakote work for me (but did not build this particular rifle) and he said all the grey's are like that. Compared to three actions he has done for me in black the comparison is stark.

Thanks for the reassurance; my good opinion of HOWA/LSI remains intact.

I have two rifles with cerakoted bolts, one is really smooth and the other is sticky and more than a little annoying. I think it has a lot to do with how the cerakote is applied.

One more than likely has more clearance in the raceway than the other. If a bolt is somewhat tight in the raceway and then you apply cerakote, or if they really gob it on there, you’re not going to be happy with the results. Cerakote makes a finish for bolts that sprays on a lot thinner to reduce this issue

I have that same caliber rifle with the same verde stock and the bolt is also cera coated, it's a little stickier than the other howa I have with just a blued bolt. Both shoot lights out

I have that same caliber rifle with the same verde stock and the bolt is also cera coated, it's a little stickier than the other howa I have with just a blued bolt. Both shoot lights out

Thanks man, finally a direct comparison. When did you purchase it?

I just picked a Howa 6.5 creed 20" lightweight in the same camo, cerakote. I called Howa on the way home with the same question. I was told they stopped doing it. If I'm looking at your photo correctly your floor plate and trigger guard are also black. Mine is black as well. Tried to order a cerakote gray directly from LSI and she said they couldnt.

One more than likely has more clearance in the raceway than the other. If a bolt is somewhat tight in the raceway and then you apply cerakote, or if they really gob it on there, you’re not going to be happy with the results. Cerakote makes a finish for bolts that sprays on a lot thinner to reduce this issue

One could always try a little resizing wax on the lug surface that contacts the raceways.

One could always try a little resizing wax on the lug surface that contacts the raceways.

That’s an idea and it might help but if you’re dealing with an area that has basically no clearance, I don’t think I would add wax to it. The sizing wax I use is pretty sticky stuff and I imaging all sorts of stuff will want to stick to it resulting in a bigger problem than you started with

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back